It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Hunts For The Missing Thunderbird Picture

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I did a quick Google search under 'thunderbird nailed to a barn' (charming, I know) and came up with some interesting images. I'm not sure if these have already been presented or not, but worth a look.

Not sure about this one at all:

At least one of the many artists impressions that have undeniably been seared into the popular unconciousness:

No idea wtf this is...

Upon quick research on this image above, apparently its a doctored image from 'John Sontag's Death' photo? You can see the guy in the 'Han Solo' vest is the same guy, same pose.

Click here to see the pic, warning, might not be suitable for some.

I'm sure this one has done the rounds, as it was on Cryptomundo:

Again, many apologies if these have already been posted on this thread, I haven't made it through all 14 pages just yet.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Genus_Unknown

Wow, my computer just crapped out and I lost what I was going to post- -Oh well.

As for the photos, thanks for posting them (even if they have already been posted)
The first one is a made-up photo for a magazine.
The second (the drawing) is quite cool, though it does not even come close to what Sanderson and others remember.
And the last one is a picture taken of a 1950s stage prop.

BTW: The thunderbird photo is NOT on the internet. Many people have searched through thousands of Images and online photo archives (including myself) and NO photo has turned up yet.

Good Searching, and I'll keep in touch.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Atylantis

This is almost a complete shot in the dark, but could this picture possibly be printed in an earlier version (1980's-ish) of the book, "Ripley's - Believe it or Not"..?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SkyLiner

That is a good suggestion. It is slightly possible. The contents of those books were based on very shady sources. So I guess it is possible that someone stumbled on the photo and printed it or a drawing of it in the book.

Good Searching.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Ok, This thread needed to be freshened up a bit with new information.

I did find (from this site: tieba.baidu.com...) that says the two Pennsylvania men that borrowed the photo from Sanderson, went to investigate thunderbird sightings in the town of Coudersport PA.- - -I did not know the town name, now we do.

I also found that the Pierre Berton show definitely did air an episode that interviewed Ivan Sanderson. And he did mention his photostat of the thunderbird in the episode. I have found two people who say that Sanderson did display his photo on THAT episode. So I think that finding this episode is our best bet at finding THE thunderbird photo. I also believe the episode with Sanderson in it would be from 1964-1966 so that may narrow it down a bit.

ATS played a large part in finding the TV show that contained the mokele mbembe footage, so lets do the same and find this old Pierre Berton show. Does anyone know what TV network it could have been on? I think that would be a good start.

Good Searching
-Russ
edit on 21-6-2013 by Batan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I seem to recall seeing this picture as well, but it's possible that I'm confusing it with some of the other thunderbird pictures in the OP. The one I recall seeing though was actually a bird (or fake bird), not a pteradactyl. It's hard to remember because I read a lot of paranormal/crypto/mystery books and watched a lot of shows about that kind of stuff when I was young.

I was reading the OP and saw mention of a Reader's Digest book called Mysteries of the Unexplained. I'm a little confused because a few posts seem to confirm that the picture was in that book but then others say they own the book and it's not in there. There was suggestion that maybe there are different editions of the book and the photo was in an earlier printing. I was doing some searches for the book and noticed quite a few people over on Tumblr posting photos of the book and there does seem to be two different versions:

25.media.tumblr.com...

25.media.tumblr.com...

I'm not very savy on how Tumblr works. Maybe it would be possible to contact the people posting these images and see if they can confirm whether or not the image is in either copy?

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Pierre Burton was a journalist on CBC television. I was able to find reference to the Pierre Burton Show but no episode guide.
The show aired in the '70s.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Charizard

Yes, I have come across countless people who own the book Mysteries of the Unexplained and I have personally looked through it and did not find the photo. However there is a handful of people who would swear up and down that they saw the photo in that book. Sooo, It is possible that it made it's way into some rare publishing. And like you said, I think it is worth contacting people who own different publishing dates of that book in order to narrow the search.

On another note: thank you for the post Beartracker16, I was able to find the Pierre Berton show Episode guide. Here is the link: www.tvguide.com...
Unfortunately there is no episodes available to watch on this site. I am currently going through each one to see if Sanderson is mentioned at all in the guests list. This will take a while.

Good Searching
-Russ

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
*raises hand* I swear I've seen the Thunderbird picture too, back on the early days of my cryptozoology interest. On the internet, of course, probably on some long defunct paranormal website. I used to save nearly every picture I came across, however that one kinda disturbed and upset me-- but why oh why didn't I save it? I remember the thunderbird being nailed to some wooden wall/structure, wings spread. Limp. Obviously dead. And around it was a bunch of guys with rifles, looking inordinately (I felt) pleased with themselves for killing this amazing creature.
I think it had feathered wings, but I'm not positive.

Normally, I haven't been that upset by pictures of dead cryptids, but it just made me so sad. I felt like it was something rare and special in ways I can't describe- and there it was, dead.

Anyways, I didn't see this one up on the list of pictures, thought I'd throw it up here.

Link to where I found it: markturnersmysteriousworld.blogspot.ca...

There's some amazing sleuthing work being done in this thread, keep up the good work, guys!

edit on 24-6-2013 by Prysm because: grammar

edit on 24-6-2013 by Prysm because: more grammar *forehead slap*

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I did finally get around to looking into each and every episode on the TV Guide episode guide to the Pierre Berton show and, as expected, there is no mention of Sanderson. But there is also no mention of either Bruce Lee or Malcolm X who definitely appeared on Berton's show. This means that the episode guide is incomplete and an interview with Sanderson is NOT yet out of the question.
I e-mailed TV Guide and asked if they knew of an interview with Sanderson or if there was anyone with knowledge on Pierre's show. I am still awaiting there reply.

reply to Prysm:
So the photo you remember had men standing with rifles. So were they standing fingertip to fingertip (as Sanderson remembered) or just standing in front of the wall like this photo here?: oi55.tinypic.com...

Good Searching
-Russ

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Bwahaha, now that I'm a little more awake, I can see the deer legs they didn't quite manage to edit out of the photo I found above.
Bad photoshop.

What I find really frustrating is; One- how many hoaxes there are out there. Two- that it's entirely possible that some of the pictures we remember seeing were hoaxes. As well as three-- is it possible there's more than one true Thunderbird photo? It seems to me that the best way of displaying such a large creature and showing off its wingspan would be to mount it to a wall somewhere.

There's also the fact that there's really two different types of Thunderbirds; the pteranodon / pterodactyl, and the huge feathery varieties.

Hmmm, the picture I remember seeing was, I suppose, most like the Smith sketch, but the men were in much different poses. Standing around separately, maybe not all of them had rifles?- but some of them did. But what I remember the most is the limp thunderbird nailed to a wooden wall, and the smug expressions on the guys around it.

Yikes, how many Thunderbird pictures are there?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Prysm

You couldn't be more right. I think there is only one photo (or possibly John Keel and Ivan Sanderson both saw two different photos). But there are so many hoaxes and false recollections that it makes it hard to find the real deal. What makes it even harder is that THE photo itself could be an old hoax (made before photoshoping). However we do know that Sanderson and Keel both saw/owned at least one photo. So at least we know it exists.

BTW: I just e-mailed Loren Coleman to see if he can add anything fresh to the search.

good searching everyone
-Russ

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Charizard

I have the book Mysteries of the Unexplained (Reader's Digest: 1982).

The first photo in your post is of the book without the dust cover, and the second is with the dust cover, but it is the same book.

The only birds mentioned in the index are mysterious skyfalls of known (and rather small) birds (photo on page 205).

However, after just having paged through it there is an illustration of a Jersey Devil, which does have some qualities of an old photo.

It has a longish horse-like head, bat wings, and a spindly legs.

It's found in a caption that reads "Do Monsters Fly?" on page 165.

The creature looks quite fantastical however, and the caption reads: "This illustration of a 'Jersey Devil' reported in 1909 by a couple in Gloucester, New Jersey, appeared in a Philadelphia newspaper story about the sighting."

I think in past years, when such books were rare and fascinating for young people, this picture was quite gripping, and might have made a lasting impression, especially as the section is highlighted in blue and the two pages have no other illustrations.

It looks more like a chimera (a combination of various animals) and a hoax, and is certainly not a huge biological bird as the Thunderbird is often imaged today, although the text does discuss alleged sightings of huge flying creatures.

Here is a version of the image:
theshadowlands.net...
edit on 25-6-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Update: No reply from TV Guide Network
And no reply from Loren Coleman (unfortunately).

Good Searching everyone
-Russ

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
can it be that this photo simply does not exist but is somehow imprinted in our memories, and everyone remembers it, can it be a glitch in the matrix?

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
This it?

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
To everyone searching the photo through archives and looking
for the Sanderson interview. Are there any updates of you guys ? Do
you managed to get a full episode list or could you find the episode
which includes the Sanderson interview ? But a bit off topic but where
can you watch the Pierre Berton episodes ? I would love to help you finding
them. Did you found them on the internet or at video stores ?

But what did the Tombstone Epitaph exactly say about the Thunderbird ?
Could someone give me a link to the article ? And did the Tombstone Epitaph
Include the photograph in the Tombstone Epitaph ? Maybe a tip. It could last a few
days in that time to write, make a photo copy and post it the paper. Because when
I was searching for an old photograph of an ancestor of mine, the photo came on the
paper few days after the date the photo was supposed to be in paper (the photograph
was supposed to be used to his 50th anniversary of his marriage with his wife, but the photo
was placed in the paper few days after his anniversary while his anniversary was mentioned
on the day they had their anniversary). Sorry for the long story but I hope you know what I mean.

But I just came with an arousing new theory how to solve this myth. We know the ranchers shot
it and pinned on the barn. We also know that they supposed to cut a tip of his wing and send
it to researchers. But after that ? I don't think they left it hanging on the barn and they must have buried it (just) outside of Tombstone. So why couldn't we try to find the remaining of the Thunderbird around Tombstone ? Because it was a large and probably heavy bird, they wouldn't drag it for miles to bury it. So the chance is big they buried in the suburbs or outskirts of Tombstone. I'm not that knowledgeable about how long bones or membrane will last when buried but there must be some remains of it, waiting to be found !

Could someone give me feedback about my theory ? Does it sound plausible for you ?

BobAthome
This it?

No. I saw the photo come along dozen of times on the internet
and if it was the lost Thunderbird photo, we already had closed
the thread.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I also forgot to add my new theory on this subject. The Tombstone Epitaph mentions a
"ninety-two fee" and a "eight feet long" "alligator like" head. "The skin of the body was comparatively smooth and easily penetrated by a bullet." . If you look at these features, and the other features of
this bird in the Tombstone article you can't deny that it would have been a pterosaur and not a feathery
bird as some people mentioned here. The article clearly says "devoid of feathers or hair, as was the entire body" . If so, the photograph should not have a feathery bird in it as the bird had no feathers. But then
the article said the creature had one wing which was 78 feet long (23 meters !!!!!) and 160 feet long total (48 meters !!!). I never really took attention to this fact but that f*cking huge ! But then, the largest pterosaur ever found has a wingspin, from tip to tip, is the Quetzalcoatlus with a wingspan of 30ft (~10 meters). Which is more than two times as less as the creature found in 1890.

I attached a comparison of the largest pterosaur (and also the largest animal to fly) which ever lived
compared with a human :

Quetzalcoatlus compared with human

*EDIT* I just found out that the Hatzegopteryx is, according to wikipedia, the largest creautre
to have roamed the air. It has the same wingspan as the Quetzalcoatlus though so the picture attached
shows how big it was. But then, the creature found was 5 times as big as the biggest flying creature
discovered yet ! I'm a fanatical cryptozoologist but now the photograph the most people remember, mentioned a bird nailed to a barn with a couple of men standing in front of it. If the creature really
was 160 feet long, I don't think it fits on barn wall and there would be room for 50 people to stand in front of it, shoulder to shoulder. If there was some space between them it would be less but still, imagine it. Even for the largest pterosaur found so far has a total wingspan of 30ft, which provides
space for 10 people shoulder to shoulder to stand in front of it. But ok, it would be possible that the writer exaggerated the length to get attention or it would have been possible that the ranchers exaggerated the size. In the past, men exaggerated stories or made up stories to make their story
more manly. I hope you guys know what I mean. Example, some man says in the saloon that last night he beat the heck out of 3 guys and one was holding a Bowie knife while the real story was that beat up one man without a knife. I hope you understand my second theory.

Any news on the Pierre Bertons interview with Sanderson ?
Maybe we could try to contact people who also worked for his television show. I bet there are a few of them still alive. Maybe there is a camera man which still lives who was there when Sanderson got interviewed or showed the photograph. Just saying

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
First of all, let me say this is an amazing thread.

Now, I have never seen the lost picture but my father has many books similar to the Unexplained Mysteries one, so I thought I should check just to be sure.

Sadly, the picture is NOT in them but I'm listing the names of the books here, just in case anyone else used to have them and starts worrying about it might being in one of them.

There are two series of books in Spanish.

First (4 volume) series: "Grandes Temas de lo Oculto y lo Insólito" by Tomás Doreste. Editorial Océano, 1982.
In volume 2, page 261, there's the Illustrated London News story from 1858, about the huge bird-like creature in France. There are other stories about animals in rocks but nothing about the Thunderbird and no related photo.

Second (4 volume) Series: "Grandes Enigmas. El Fascinante Mundo de lo Oculto" by Tomás Doreste. Editorial Océano, 1991.

Volume 2, page 278, mentions the bird creature from France again, no related picture, more similar cases.

Page 324-325, on a column titled "Enormes pájaros vistos en Norteamérica" (Huge birds sighted in NA) there are cases from native american legends, some from newspaper stories from the early 1900s and one from 1969. No related photos.

I'm sorry I can't contribute with something more useful, I'll keep an eye out for other books.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Smissen
If the creature really
was 160 feet long, I don't think it fits on barn wall and there would be room for 50 people to stand in front of it, shoulder to shoulder. If there was some space between them it would be less but still, imagine it. Even for the largest pterosaur found so far has a total wingspan of 30ft, which provides
space for 10 people shoulder to shoulder to stand in front of it.

Some people have said that the picture showed 6 men (give or take a few, according to each version) standing with their arms stretched, their fingertips touching the other men's. That would be closer to the largest pterosaur you mention.

The sketches of the recollections are very different too. Most of them show a bird with feathers, so that right there differs from what the original Tombstone Epitaph article said. Then there are as few as 3 and as many as 8 (or more) men in them, the bird is upside down in some, head up in others. What about the ones that show it sort of hanging from a rope? And the ones that show it with the men in a normal position instead of the outstretched arms one? So which is it?

People have said numerous times that they "vividly remember" the picture but then, why do the memories differ so much if only one photograph ever existed?

Something really weird is going on here

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join