ATS Hunts For The Missing Thunderbird Picture

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
After reading this post i became very excited. this is my first posting on ATS. I am replying in regard to the supposed printing of the missing picture in a 1982 print of Mysteries of the Unexplained. Well it so happens I own a copy of this book with the same year print. It has been in my possession for as long as i can remember. Today we broke it out and looked through it several times each.But alas no Thunderbird picture. The weird thing is I can remeber seeing this picture, and not only that, after describing it to my brother and showing him the recreations he was sure he had seen it before as well. Something weird is going on...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
i remember seeing it, too.
but i cannot find it anywhere.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I can remember seeing a bat winged sort of creature nailed to a wall with some old west types around it, it was a picture on the internet. I can't believe somebody hasn't randomly came across it again.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I have several of these photos in some books at home. I will locate and post later........

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Hello,

I came across two scans from a magazine which discusses this missing photograph which also has two examples of photos that could be it (Although I think they were both posted earlier in the thread and dismissed?)

Anyway, here are the scans in case anyone is interested.
(Sorry can't get the images to show directly!)

imageshack.us...

imageshack.us...

On another note, I found a magazine publisher which used to publish a magazine called "The Unexplained" between 1980-1983 which ties in when the book "Mysteries of the Unexplained" were published. Could it be that people are confusing the book with the magazine?

I've emailed the publisher, hopefully they have a few copies in their archives
It's a long shot but you never know!

Also, sorta related but has anyone heard of Chief AJ and his supposed Thunderbird video?
It won't let me start a new thread so I thought I would mention it here. He's selling the video on his website and has a still from it too.

www.chiefaj.com...

Just wondering if anyone has seen it and if it is legit or not.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by White_Rose_Of_Wutai

Which magazine are those scans from? Is the video your talking about the one shown on Monster Quest?
edit on 10-5-2011 by JoelHepp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoelHepp

Which magazine are those scans from? Is the video your talking about the one shown on Monster Quest?
edit on 10-5-2011 by JoelHepp because: (no reason given)

Not sure, I didn't scan them myself but found them online and the magazine wasn't mentioned.

The vid was apparently shown on Monster Quest (I never saw it) but according to Chief AJ's website only a bit was shown and he's selling the whole footage?

Was the Monsterquest Thunderbird footage debunked then?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I noticed that quite a few people have said the picture is in the book Mysteries of the Unexplained, so i took out my copy to look it up. I turned to page 45 and...it wasnt there, although the story is. I checked the publishing date and it says ninth printing, february 1990.

So it was taken out for this one.

Odd.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

If i remember correctly they couldnt determine the actual size of the birds. I think two of the "experts" who examined it said they were turkey vultures, and the third was impressed by the size of the birds, and actually claimed that the footage showed different birds in different frames. I think he said they apperead condor sized. Certain parts of the video they showed were convincing that it was large bird but without a good point of reference in the video its hard to tell.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The scans posted are actually from me back on page 7 of this topic. I scanned them from Fortean Times magazine and from Strange Magazine. Both magazines did extensive articles of the Thunderbird photo back in the late 90's early 2000's.
They also had some drawings of what people remember, but none them really resemble the actual photo. The real photo has a more serpentine type creature, no feathers, strange alligatorish type head, and very poor quality photo.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Ok, I haven't finished the whole thread yet but had to ad my bit.

I saw the picture in a book on unexplained mysteries I checked out from my high school library, (Norwalk, Ohio. It's a small town and our library had mostly older books, as an example, we had some of the first paperback printings of Asimov's books.) This was back in 1978-9 so i know the book was printed at least three years before that.

The book was written by one of the Colemen's (SP?) But which I can't remember. The Intro stated that a lot of the information came from Sanders files with a little input from other sources as well as their own research when possible. Part of why I remember this is it was also my introduction to Mothman before Keel went crazy with it (personal opinion.).

I hope this helps, and I'm doing some research to find this book myself and hopefully will have some good news sometime soon.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I think I found the book, but now I think they had one of the drawings rather than the picture. I'll have to see if the local library has a copy and see.

The book is "Creatures of the Outer Edge" By Clark, Jerome & Coleman, Loren.

Amazon Link

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Amazing how many people remember the picture, but no one seems to be able to deliver a copy of it.
Did any one of you went to a secondhand bookshop or secondhand markets (very common here in Europe) and look for it? Most of the time you can buy these kinds of books and magazines for a couple of bucks. From time to time I like to visit a secondhand bookstore to see if they got new stuff. Older UFO literature is very interesting. When I go next time, I hope I remember this thread and I will look if it is somewhere in a German or Dutch book. Readers Digest and others publish those books in a translated version.

BTW, thanks to the poster above with the link to that blog which shows a bad copy of it. Now I know where I should look for.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Update, Local library does not have a copy, but I may be able to get it through inter-library loan. I'll check back when I know more.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
OK, further update, this is definitely not the book I thought it was, this is a paperback, the book I remember was large and hardback like the Encyclopedia one they did. this book doesn't even have any section on flying creatures/thunderbirds. Back to the drawing board.

I'll have to check with a few of my old/out of print friends and see what we can come up with.

I'll post if I get even a whiff of a clue.

Edit:
Maybe we should make a list of books it is not in so we don't keep going over the same ground.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Wolfie0827 because: Added info.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well I'm hoping this thread isn't dead because I too remember seeing this picture. About a year or so ago was fascinated with cyptozoology and looked through everything I could.

I have an amazing memory, at least that's what my director tells me, and can remember most of the picture.

Black and White, Large pterodactyl-like creature outstretched and nailed to the side of a building (most likely a barn), it's head was tilted to the left of everyone in the photo I believe. The men were standing n front of it, and several were in a depression in the ground below it, probably so they could see more of the thunderbird.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This might help out a little, I have a book called "Mysterious Monsters Real or Unreal" By Jerry A. Young. I have owned it since I was a kid. There are several stories about the "THUNDERBIRD" in it, and it has a couple of drawings but no pictures. But what it does have is a special thanks to " Stan Gordon and George Lutz, co directors of the Pennsylvania Association for the study of the Unexplained" or (PASU). One of these guys if they are still around might have a little more info on the subject. "Note the name of the 2nd guy George Lutz, wonder if there is any similarities with that house in Long Island? I for one do not discount these stories, my great grandfather used to tell me about very strange sea monsters that washed up on the beaches of Galveston Island after the storm of 1900, and my great grandfather was not an uneducated man.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The hunt for this photo spans back for quite some time it seems.
Here's a link to rense from 2000 where they ask basically the same question.

www.rense.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Here's a few good ones. The photo is pretty similar to descriptions of the mystery photo.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Hi,

I have a logical question for those here who might remember seeing the photo.
(by the way it's strange that I only think about this now, anyway)
And sorry if I overexplain myself but it's just in case, my english being not perfect.

Was the photo you remember just the one of an unusually big eagle or something ?
Because if so, then it's a rather different thing than what the original article
(which you can read about at www.strangemag.com...)
was saying -they wrote about a "winged monster"-, and so the later magazines who then quoted it.

Or was the photo you remember really the one of an out of this world being ?
If this is the case, then don't you think it's strange that you didn't react, at that time, in an appropriate manner (like, I don't know, showing it, discussing it with everyone, finding strange that it's not shown on tv, etc) ?

I mean, and I exaggerate just to be clear: if for example I see an old photo of a really crazy thing, let's say of a few cowboys with an extraterrestrial, watching the camera and shaking hands with champagne, I wouldn't just think "hey that's quite something" and then reput the mag back and forget about it for years, right ? Because this seems to be the case of all the people who remember the photo.
Does this mean that the photo was not so crazy, and just a rare flying specimen or something, very big but not big enough to be talked about with everyone the same day ?
Thanks !

edit on 25-7-2011 by vicvic2 because: grammar mistake

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join