It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Akula-Class Attack Submarines Patrolling US East Coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Russian Akula-Class Attack Submarines Patrolling US East Coast

gizmodo.com

One would think that the Cold War ended a long time ago, but ask the Pentagon officials who are very concerned about the two Russian nuclear-powered Akula-class attack submarines now patrolling the US East Coast.

Akulas—the NATO designation for the Project 971 Shchuka-B Soviet Submarine—are some of the deadliest sea weapons in existence...These things can launch up to forty torpedoes, mines, and missiles—the later using a separate tube for surface launch.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Obama talks to Medvedev on the phone Tuesday. Medvedev brings up Georgia. Then, we start tracking two of Russia's largest and most heavily armed Nuclear Subs patrolling 200 miles off the Eastern Seaboard of the United States.

Sounds like someone is rattling the sabers again while making veiled threats!

I guess that means Crazy Ivan is back.

Whoever said DC was going to suffer a direct Nuclear Strike in the not too distant future might not be far off from the truth.

gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

(EDIT: Read the gizmodo article for a short summary with lots of pictures of the Akula Class but go to the New York Times article for full story of the situation and it's implications.)

[edit on 6-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
They've been patrolling US coastlines for decades.

No one ever mentioned if they had an American submarine on their six, though, did they?

That's usually where American attack submarines are.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
They've been patrolling US coastlines for decades.

Not in the last two decades since the fall of the USSR they haven't.

“I don’t think they’ve put two first-line nuclear subs off the U.S. coast in about 15 years,” said Norman Polmar, a naval historian and submarine warfare expert.

The thing about the Russian Navy is that they are very strictly routine and regular. When they start deviating from their routine is when it is indicative something is up. If you don't sail off the coast of a foreign power in over 15 years, you don't do it unless your either wanting to start something, or prove something.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I thought those two boats were Oscar II's? Ya, you can bet your ballsack that we've got our boys on their 6. Nothing to freak out about. I kinda like all this reporting lately about Ivan getting more aggresive. 1980's revisited
Oh I miss the paranoia from those days. Just might have to go watch Airwolf tonight.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Exactly, what hypocracy by Western media. I wonder if the Russians are allowed to take a crap without being criticized

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marrr
I thought those two boats were Oscar II's? Ya, you can bet your ballsack that we've got our boys on their 6.

Well, according to the NYT Article, the Pentagon lost track of one of them, believed to be a newer Acula II Class that has even better Stealth Technology than the Acula Class. We currently don't have it's position. The older Acula Class we are tracking and probably do have one or two Los Angeles Class tailing it at a safe distance.

Originally posted by Marrr
Nothing to freak out about. I kinda like all this reporting lately about Ivan getting more aggresive. 1980's revisited
Oh I miss the paranoia from those days. Just might have to go watch Airwolf tonight.

I agree with you there. I think the end of the Cold War was the best thing that could happen to both the U.S. and the former Soviet Union. Unfortunately, with tensions on the U.S. side during the Bush Era, and now tensions on the Russian side during the Obama Era, it seems like we are slipping back into old habits and forgetting we are friendly and potential Allies, or at least we are supposed to be. I don't think the MSM is helping make things any less stressful either. Our government probably wouldn't have even said anything about Georgia if the MSM didn't latch on to it and stir up an outcry from the American people. Now, we have strained our relationship and need to smooth things over. Although Russia sending two Nuclear Attack Subs so close isn't helping either.

I wonder if Obama is going to have Medvedev over to the Whitehouse for some Vodka to smooth things back over between us? (It worked for the Henry Gates, James Crowley summit, right?)

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
We've run all kind of boats over to Russia and in turn they are doing the same. I'm not too worried about it yet. I do believe it has everything to do with Georgia though. The Georgians requested 16 million in military aid becasue of Russian hostilities.

The U.S. is discussing a Georgian request for $16 million in military aid this year, with most of the money intended for training and technical assistance.

So I'm certain the Russians would rather not see that happen. As for open hostilities against the U.S. , forget about it. Absolutely no way. The Russians are not stupid and don't want to see another world war break out becasue they were a little peaved at 16 million bucks. Thats chump change, and definately not a reason to go to war with the biggest military power in the world.

Nogovitsyn said that U.S. submarines had also engaged in missions off Russia's coast, but wouldn't provide any details.

"It's a normal thing," Nogovitsyn said about submarine patrols.

During the Cold War times, U.S. and Soviet submarines routinely played cat-and-mouse near each other's shores, surveying the adversary's movements.

News Source

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Ya, I heard about this sometime this morning on the radio. My first thought went back to that thread a couple of months ago, when we barely avoided nuclear war, or something like it, and it wasn't even broadcast on the news.

I think the Russians are testing the Obama administration. Then again, who really knows whats going on.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Trams

Russia isn't testing Obama. More like Russia is testing its submarines. Obama has enough other tests to keep himself busy.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Those two Akula are likelyu a smoke screen and or diversion. The true threat is the Yury Dolgorukiy which is undergoing sea trials. I imagine it is sitting close to the northern east cost as we speak while they are hoping the two Akula are distracting us.

I would not be surprised if all 3 subs have been visited by Navy Seals and have Russian Navy sucks printed on their bellies among other gifts
. They might want to head home and take a look under there

What better way to attempt to save face over the missile launch failures than sneaking their primary launch vehicle up to the east coast of the US.

External Link

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Xeven]

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Xeven]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Sub Standard

The first rule of submarine warfare: if your opponents know where you are, you lose.

In light of that, what's the purpose of publicizing U.S. awareness of Russian submarines?

I believe the technical term is "neener neener neener".

I'd be more concerned if the U.S. didn't know where they were.

And as dooper suggests, determining the location of U.S. subs tends to be more a matter of inference than assurance. Indeed, it's not exactly a longshot to assume that at least some of them can be found tracking Russian submarines -- if they can be found at all.

Sounds like business as usual to me.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I think russia is doing it, like the article said, to show us they can make it across the the atlantic again. And maybe as a thumb back at bidons comment a week or so ago about russia bending to the US's will because of tuff times.

I am sure we are all over them. not in a confronting way, but not taking any eyes off them. I agree with the comment about it being a good way to let russia know they are not being sneaky by leaking the knowledge to the press.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I expect that Fleet is doing their best to round robin every nearby attack boat onto the two Akulas for live tracking practice, and I will bet that our boat drivers are tickled at the chance to play tag with the other side.

Nothing like real world training to work out the kinks.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Thanks for the tidbit on the name of that boat. Seems they've been building it since '96 and finished refitting it late last year? The article I read claims they put to sea for trials on June 19. Going to surf this later tonight if I have the time. Very interesting

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Hey Hoss! I think you want this: (Thread already posted)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

4 pages worth. Not much escapes ATS!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus
"Russian Akula-Class Attack Submarines Patrolling US East Coast"

So What? Like we don't have Subs patrolling the black sea or other parts or thier coast line. Why is it when we do it it's O.K. but when the Russians do it they are Evil and must be destroyed for bringing back the cold war. Well let me give you a little news. We The United States brought back the cold war with our constant meddling in Georgia, Poland and other ex-Russian states.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by kenton1234]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Those two Akula are likelyu a smoke screen and or diversion. The true threat is the Yury Dolgorukiy which is undergoing sea trials. I imagine it is sitting close to the northern east cost as we speak while they are hoping the two Akula are distracting us.

I wasn't aware that it had started sea trials.

www.strategypage.com...

But if that's known on the internet and wikipedia, ONI knows too.

I doubt it would go far from homeport during sea trials, it certainly wouldn't be in the western Atlantic. I wonder what the performance will be like ?

That article says the new Russian SSBNs will be based on the Kamchatsky Peninsula to threaten both China and the US.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenton1234
reply to post by fraterormus
"Russian Akula-Class Attack Submarines Patrolling US East Coast"

So What? Like we don't have Subs patrolling the black sea or other parts or thier coast line. Why is it when we do it it's O.K. but when the Russians do it they are Evil and must be destroyed for bringing back the cold war. Well let me give you a little news. We The United States brought back the cold war with our constant meddling in Georgia, Poland and other ex-Russian states.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by kenton1234]

I dont think anybody who is worth anything has called them evil or demanded they must be destroyed for this incedent. We do it to keep tabs on what others are doing and to gain intel. That could very well be what russia is doing to, big whup! The cold war is not back in anyform of the word. Not to say there is not some tension at times.

If we did not "meddle" in Georgia, russia would have stomped them out of existance last yr. That is not how America rolls.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by Tank2/8]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It doesnt feel good when another country snoops in your backyard does it. Russia is just giving usss a taste of its own medicine.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join