It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten things we don't understand about humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Came across this article today, interesting we know so little about such everyday things. Here's a few of my favourites from the list...

Blushing:
Even Darwin struggled to explain why we would evolve a response that lets others know that we have cheated or lied

Laughter:
The discovery that laughter is more often produced at banal comments than jokes prompts the question, why did it evolve?

Dreams:
Today, most researchers reject Freud's belief that dreams are expressions of our unconscious desires – but if that's the case, what are they for?

Superstition:
Many of us have superstitions – odd, reassuring habits that make no rational sense – but there may be an underlying reason for such behaviour

Full Article

Lets hear what your guys take is on them, or any others that were not on the list.

[edit on 6/8/09 by refuse_orders]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
We know more about what makes ETs tick.
Normal things we don't know.
We are lied to as the norm, how will any truth be known.
Refuse the lies.
Speak the truth.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

I think its quite funny we spend so much time trying to find out about the things around us and still really don't understand ourselves to well.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This is a good question

Pubic Hair

Scent radiator, warmth provider, or chafe protection? The answer to why humans have clumps of hair in private places is still open for debate

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

It is a weird one, I always presumed it was a left over part from when we were closer to primates and had hair all over.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
What is the function of blushing in situations of perceived social evaluation or threat? In the animal world, dominant and submissive status are signalled by a range of mechanisms. One such mechanism, termed appeasement displays, play an important role in indicating acceptance of the status quo to a dominant conspecific.

SOURCE: De Waal F. Peacemaking among Primates 1989. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.

neuropsychological and behavioral studies have shown that laughter can be more than just a spontaneous response to such stimuli. Around 2 million years ago, human ancestors evolved the capacity for willful control over facial motor systems. As a result, laughter was co-opted for a number of novel functions, including strategically punctuating conversation, and conveying feelings or ideas such as embarrassment and derision.

SOURCE: www.news-medical.net...

proposed an intriguing and detailed evolutionary theory of dreams which stipulates that the biological function of dreaming is to simulate threatening events and to rehearse threat avoidance behaviors.

SOURCE: www.sciencedirect.com... 21&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=3ac853d8e9628dd8c101a5ba6a5a142f

These evolutionary traits, as far as I know, can all be logically, scientifically explained. I believe that many of these are not well understood due to little of scientific investigation and more importantly, the lack of scientific tools to measure and study them. As technology advances, I suspect we will see more solid information from the scientific community on these.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Honestly it sounds like whoever wrote the article doesn't know much about physiology, psychology, or well, research. Many of the points are easily debated, like blushing is also a signal of attraction between males and females. An increased heart rate in response to emotional arousal makes itself apparent in the thin skin of the face, giving away our cardiovascular change.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Parabol

Nice Tag line at the bottom! What are the odds of having 2 MJK quotes back to back?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
This is a good question

Pubic Hair

Scent radiator, warmth provider, or chafe protection? The answer to why humans have clumps of hair in private places is still open for debate

out of those three i would say, at least now, chafe protection.
scent radiator? gross.
anyways...

is the reason why they say teens eating their boogers may experience a boost in their immune system because its so dirty? LOL
like vaccines? like, ingesting small amounts of something over time builds immunity...

either way, so not worth it...who eats their nose *AND* eats it?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
For the pubic hair one.. I actually have thought recently about why we seem to have isolated patches of hair at our sensitive areas.

Not trying to be gross obviously, but hair can be found on all genitalia (front and back) as well as nose, ears, mouth and eyes- and of course head.

The conclusion I came to was that hair serves as a filtration system, disallowing any large particles (dust & debris) to enter our system. As for the thicker hair, on our heads and pubic areas, I think it serves to provide warmth as well.

I also came to the conclusion that removing facial hair and head hair is detrimental to our health and may have something to do with sickness.. Though other hairs, which are now covered with clothing, might be a lingering evolutionary feature that might be on it's way out (ever notice how people born long ago were very hairy even when they were young, but our generation seems to be less hairy?).

Just my two pennies. Stars & flags all around for a very thought-invoking subject!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

I think it might have something to do with clothing.

Here's an example.

Any man here with hairy legs will back me up on this.

When you wear socks, you ever notice you have a hair line where your sock ends? All of a sudden there is barely any hair at all?

new topics

top topics

join