It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why science is lacking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

[edit on 18-8-2009 by pasttheclouds]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
--- double post ---

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Thymos]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasttheclouds

but your welcome to ask me more whenever you want,
IF (

No, thanks. That would mean many more of your symbols. You contradict your own worldview in every post and are not open for love/communication...

And yes, we're both searchers. I'll continue my quest elsewhere.
This miscommunication will not end is what I perceive as the pattern here.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The Newtonian age has delivered us out of the age of barbarianism and superstition. Science has helped us get a handle on reality. But there is yet so much more to discover in the unseen and unknown. Thanks to people like Heisenberg, Science is slowly venturing out into even more fantastic concepts, albeit at a snail-pace because its difficult to let go a way of thinking that has caused so much progress.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Well, that's what postmodernism is trying to do. Or trans-and posthumanism. Or philosophers who argue for the affirmation of life and 'thinking differently' (non-dialectical for example) like Nietzsche, and Deleuze but also a writer as Proust (who has interesting work on memory). There are also psychologists/psychiatrists who use integrative holistic approaches.

All I try to say: there are a lot of scientists/academics who are thinking out-of-the box but who are ridiculed by traditional scientists but also by 'the masses' (and new-age forum users who don't realize these scientists/academics are communicating thoughtfully the ideas the new-agers are trying to grasp) that are still blinded by the exact ideology that is thought to be fought.

But yes, I think it is very hard to be able to solipsistically cut yourself from every framework, ideology and context to find some truth. We are always subjects-in-discourse.

Ok, now I'm going to love my 'better' half

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pasttheclouds

The answer to everything could be '42' but I think we found an agreement: I think that 'truth' itself is a paradox. Like Alice in Wonderland is getting smaller as well as bigger at the same time. As a matter of fact, it is what I try to communicate up until now.

The point is: if you want to spread a message of 'the paradox' for example and try to convince people to leave old paradigms, you need a way (symbols for example), to convince them.

Furthermore, there's the question of what is a subject, does the 'I' exist, do we have any agency in this matter. For all people to abandon the 'ego' you need some good science/academics/art/philosophy because otherwise it will end up in war when you try to impose an N=1 subjective notion of 'truth' on whole populations. And that is exactly what this forum is trying to warn for.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I don't think you and Thymos are necessarily disagreeing... i think he just can't understand what the hell your talking about. I think he gets the gist of it, but the language barrier has a crack in it. But Thymos has a good point, there are plenty of renegade scientists out there trying to think outside the box and get some real breakthroughs.

Also, pasttheclouds your derailing the post (i think).

I personally think its too late to unbrainwash the public. Science will move way to slow and wont be able to keep up with whats going on around us.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dannyfal

i think he just can't understand what the hell your talking about. I think he gets the gist of it, but the language barrier has a crack in it.

First, I don't think he spoke about hell...
Second, pasttheclouds isn't that hard to understand...
Third, I think you both don't understand what I talk about, nor get the gist of it...
Fourth, English isn't my native language either...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thymos

First, I don't think he spoke about hell...
Second, pasttheclouds isn't that hard to understand...
Third, I think you both don't understand what I talk about, nor get the gist of it...
Fourth, English isn't my native language either...

Lol, i never said he spoke about hell. Sorry "what the hell" is a phrase we use here in American't. I never claimed that I understood what you were talking about nor the gist of it. I don't know why you'd say English isn't ur native language, wouldn't that be more of a language barrier? Language as symbols would lose its shared meaning if its translated from (for example) German --> English ---> French ---> English (response).

Anyway i think you misread my post, I actually agreed with you. And you speak english very well, better than most American'ts i'd say

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Take care guys.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by pasttheclouds]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dannyfal

I think its just that science is still very young compared to philosophy, and religion. Its like comparing the knowledge of an infant to a, well for lack of a better word, scientist. lol. In any case it will grow and mature. I think that we argue and say...see you cannot explain that, but we are arguing at a child. Now when it does mature we could see some marvelous things from it. But until then we must nurture it and support it as if pacifying a baby. Goo Goo Gah Gah....lol

top topics

<< 1   >>

join