It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom in U.K. Fined for Grieving Too Long at Baby Son's Funeral

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This is a whole outrageous and heartbreaking situation. The complete lack of empathy towards parents that have lost an child speaks volumes regarding the insensitivity prevalent in today's world.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

So, what *is* an acceptable time to allow someone to grieve at the crematorium?

I'm not trying to be heartless, just playing Devil's Advocat here.

As inhuman as it may sound, it is a business and they, like all other businesses, need to make money to continue and to provide a service. Now, if everyone grieved at the crematorium for extended periods of time - that would throw off the schedule and back log things. (I know, I know, that sounds heartless but really, I'm not trying to make it sound bad!)

So then the next people are delayed. Those people might ask, "What's going on, we were booked and scheduled for 14:30, what' gives? Isn't *our* sadness just as important as the previous one?"

At the end of the day, it costs the company money for delays. Again, as heartless as that sounds, that's what they are - a business.

How and would I have handled it any differently? I don't know.

Perhaps all I could have thought to do would be to inform the families ahead of time that delaying beyond a certain point will incur a fee due to the cost of operation and the schedule they keep (which isn't fair to other people waiting to move on).

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

ashes? In the States it's illegal to spread them here, or there, but people still do it.

reply to post by Aggie Man

I think they are considered that in the states as well.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Hopefully when I (eventually) die there wont leave much more than a large lumpy stain! Not sure how exactly this will happen, I'm thinking lack of attention in proximity to a running jet engine, I will of course be quite senile by then... So there is not too much point cremating a stain... Scrape me up and put me in a bin bag.

But that is pretty shocking, poor woman, she had permission and some pencil neck jerk wad just went away stamping forms like a robot = at least they back tracked.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

The council immediately backtracked and apologised to the lady, it would seem that some paper pusher probably issued the fine without really thinking about it. So the title of the thread is actually misleading.

No, misleading here. The article had it right, and that was the name of said article. The lady did indeed get issued a ticket. I think it's horrible, and I'll bet money the only reason the ticket was dismissed is due to publicity.

reply to post by Sundancer

I agree!!! It border's on the book 1984

reply to post by mpriebe81

I'm kind of pushing for a viking funeral,
but the lumber for the viking longship might be a TAD bit expensive.

I'm right there with ya' buddy!!!
[

reply to post by maria_stardust

This is a whole outrageous and heartbreaking situation. The complete lack of empathy towards parents that have lost an child speaks volumes regarding the insensitivity prevalent in today's world.

Here, here!!! Bingo. I don't know what's happening to people. I've never been religious, or bought into the 2012 stuff very much, but it seems as though there is a 'separation occurring between 'types' of people. Literally like the grey area of good, and bad is becoming more clear.
\
reply to post by noonebutme

Hey, devils advocate is fine. The 'vicor' at the funeral home is cremetion 'station' told her to take longer; so I don't see it being all her fault for crying over a dead baby.

As far as what I think? I think a business like that should be more about the emotions of the survivor's; why not give more time in general, or larger buffer zones between services. That would be my two pesos.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Here here OP! Praise to you! And one thousand bursting , pus-filled blisters to the bastard whom deemed it "right" to fine her for that!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Hey, sounds like you've got the jist of the situation down fairly well. She was told she could take longer.

I don't know exactly how things run in England, but there are either some fear issues, or lack of respect issues going on.

The vicor gave her permission, so I don't know if the I believe 'warrant officer' had no respect for the vicor, or if he just didn't tell the officer he gave her longer.

reply to post by ~ATS~

Ouch!!!
a thousand puss-filled blisters??? Remind me to stay on your good side.....

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Officials at the crematorium, run by a local English council, impose an extra charge if any funeral runs over its 30-minute slot.

A council spokesman apologised for making the extra fee.

"We understand that sometimes more time may be preferred and so families are offered the chance to book extra time if they need it,’ he said.

"This means when funerals that have not taken up this option over-run, a fee is automatically charged.

"However, when we learned that there were extenuating circumstances we, of course, refunded the extra charge."

www.news.com.au...

It was a local council crematorium who refunded the extra charge once the situation was relayed to them.

So, the parents weren't required to pay, the council spokesman apologised.

Typical Fox beat-up, designed to keep the Sheepies entertained and looking in all the wrong directions

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
The vicor gave her permission, so I don't know if the I believe 'warrant officer' had no respect for the vicor, or if he just didn't tell the officer he gave her longer.

Yep the vicar clearly ticked the wrong box on from requisition form B56647738291/B (dead baby) resulting in form FUP7737388292/WOT being sent when FUP7737388293/WOT was needed... This in turn resulted in a short delay of 52 seconds while the online wizard blew his nose and the fine was issues correctly in accordance with procedure but incorrectly when you factor in the carpet at my aunt Mary's house.

Forms are there for a reason people, do you think toilet paper grows like trees?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I read the article AND the extended version

and I saw NOTHING whatsoever about any 'warrant officer'

So where did the 'warrant officer' element creep into the thread ?

Far more likely that the Council mailed the account for the funeral to the parents with the automatic overcharge for extended time.

The parents dashed to the media

Fox grabbed the story and sensationalised it

The council were informed of the circumstances

Refunded the automatic overcharge

Over

edited to add: gutter 'journalism' which most intelligent people automatically attribute to Fox

[edit on 7-8-2009 by St Vaast]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join