It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis: Obama lets NKorea's Kim save face

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration let North Korean leader Kim Jong Il save face by releasing two jailed Americans to former President Bill Clinton. The payoff — maybe not right away — is likely to be renewed dialogue with Pyongyang about its nuclear weapons program.

What does this tell you? That Clinton and "diplomacy" had nothing to do with the release of those two women. In fact, this story gets even better. It says that Clinton only agreed to go to N. Korea if he could come out looking like a hero.

Bill Clinton undertook the mission, a senior administration official said, only after the North assured the White House that the reporters would be freed and allowed to return home with the former president.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to detail the back-channel negotiations, also said the north rejected Gore as a suitable emissary. The journalists' families, Gore and the White House then turned to Clinton. The official said President Barack Obama did not speak with Clinton about the mission

Even more damning evidence against Clinton:

Daniel Sneider, associate director of research at Stanford University's Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, said the journalists' release followed weeks of quiet negotiations between the State Department and the North Korean mission to the United Nations.

Clinton "didn't go to negotiate this, he went to reap the fruits of the negotiation," Sneider said.

The cost to us? The U.S. has repeatedly rejected North Korea's demand for bilateral talks on nuclear arms, saying we would only deal with them through the six-party talks. Now it looks like we will talk with them one on one. Kim Jong Il gets his way.

And you've also got to ask - why is the White House being so up front with this information making sure that Clinton doesn't get the credit? To me it smells of a internal power struggle going on. I'll say it again - watch for Hilary to try and take the nomination away from B.O. come 2012.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Why does everyone think that a "deal" took place?

Couldn't Bill Clinton have just released the girls by him asking?

If you remember, Bill Clinton and North Korea have good relations. During his administration, they had successful talks and set up the Agreed Framework on stopping North Korea's nuclear program.

Only after Bush came in did he not want to work with North Korea, and after they dropped the Framework, he placed Korea within his "Axis of Evil."

Though, Clinton has had good relations with them.

Besides, he didn't go as "husband of Secretary of State."

He went as "Former President."

Former Presidents, such as Carter, Bush Sr., Clinton, and Bush Jr. still have major political clout in the US and in the world.

But really, shame on the people who are putting him down. He saved two young women from being in a North Korean prison for the next twelve years.

Nothing can make anyone happy...

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Though, we still have to treat North Korea as a threat if they're willing to use their nuclear weapons against a country.

Though, what Clinton did, he did on his own.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

You really think Clinton himself had a hand in this? The story itself even says - "the journalists' release followed weeks of quiet negotiations between the State Department and the North Korean mission to the United Nations" which is much more believable than a former president saying "please release them".

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Why not? Carter has gone on many missions into the Middle East for peace talks. Was that due to Bush?

Obama's administration has not taken the credit for it. Yahoo, though, is trying to say he did, without any evidence...

Just because Clinton went in there does not mean it was due because of Obama.

Show me the evidence, and I may change my mind.

Though, for something good, Obama hasn't taken the credit, because he didn't ask Bill to go there.

Not that Obama is wrong. We need to play hardball with North Korea if they're willing to use their weapons.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
You are all missing the point completely!!!!

This was all Clinton all the time, except you are all looking at the wrong Clinton.

the journalists' release followed weeks of quiet negotiations between the State Department and the North Korean mission to the United Nations

Who is the Secretary of State? Hillary Clinton!!!

This had absolutely nothing to do with the White House. This got done by the Clintons together. Hillary, the Sec. of State and her people negotiated this release and Big Willy went over there and got it done. Lil' Kim respects Big Willy because when Lil' Kim's father died, the Big Dawg sent him a letter of condolence when our countries did not have diplomatic relations. Additionally the Clinton Administration made the most strides in engaging N. Korea before W. labeled them a member of the Axis of Evil.

I hope Hillary runs in 2012! Why be loyal to the Democratic Party when the Party was so disloyal to the Clintons.

The difference is while B. Hussain Obama is promising change, the CLINTONS actually get things done.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I believe that Clinton succeeded because most of the world recognizes him as the US last legitimate President, and the only one that is worthy of discussion/negotiation.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You see, I don't agree with that, Finemann

I think Bill went on his own without his wife's help. He's talked to North Korea before. Why does he have to talk to them now with the administration?

He doesn't.

[edit on 6/8/09 by Mak Manto]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Boo-Hoo

Bush, Clinton/Billary, and Gore work for the same person Obama does.

When will people understand that. They are just puppets.

Nice speech that someone else typed up for her to present.

Here's the URL
www.youtube.com...

What exactly does the "Dow Company" have to do with this?
Here's how negotiations went down?

"You guys want a piece of this or get the sh%$ kicked out of you??
Thought you would see it our way"

Someone please answer me why this NK Napoleon is willing to release 2 American hostages but can seem to get the world destruction nuclear testing monkey off his back??

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I'm sure...

The fact still remains that our country did this peacefully.

That's a step up from the last 8 years.

new topics

top topics

join