It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2009 Disasters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Here is site with disasters that have happend in 2009 so far.
There are ofcource more disasters than listed here, but I thought maybe some of you would like some 'refresjing' of this years events, so far...

2009 Disasters

January 2009 Disasters

•Jan. 9, Costa Rica: at least 20 are killed and thousands more are left homeless after a 6.2 magnitude earthquake strikes the verdant mountains of northern Costa Rica, setting off landslides.

•Jan. 12, Indonesia: more than 200 people are missing and feared dead when a 250-passenger ferry sinks off the coast of the Indonesian island of Sulawesi during a storm. A fishing boat finds and rescues 18 passengers and the captain floating in life rafts.

•Jan. 24, France and Spain: at least 15 people die and more than one million homes are left without power when winds of more than 100 mph swept across France and Spain during the most severe storm to hit the region since 1999.

•Jan. 26, Turkey: an avalanche slams into a group of 17 Turkish hikers on Mount Zigana, dragging them more than 1,640 ft and killing 10 of them.

•Jan. 27-28, Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Texas: at least 23 people die due to severe storms that covered roads and power lines with snow and ice. Schools close and more than a million homes are left without electricity.

This is just January, head on over to the site for the rest of the year !!

Adding:

Here is an Reuters article from November of 2007 atleast...

Disasters quadruple over last 20 years: Oxfam

LONDON (Reuters) - Weather-related disasters have quadrupled over the last two decades, a leading British charity said in a report published on Sunday.
From an average of 120 disasters a year in the early 1980s, there are now as many as 500, with Oxfam attributing the rise to unpredictable weather conditions cause by global warming.

"This year we have seen floods in South Asia, across the breadth of Africa and Mexico that have affected more than 250 million people," said Oxfam's director Barbara Stocking.

"This is no freak year. It follows a pattern of more frequent, more erratic, more unpredictable and more extreme weather events that are affecting more people.

The number of people affected by disasters has risen by 68 percent, from an average of 174 million a year between 1985 to 1994 to 254 million a year between 1995 to 2004.

"Action is needed now to prepare for more disasters otherwise humanitarian assistance will be overwhelmed and recent advances in human development will go into reverse," Stocking said.

Oxfam wants the UN conference on Climate Change in Bali in December to agree a mandate to negotiate a global deal to provide assistance to developing countries to cope with the impacts of climate change and reduce green house gas emissions.

[edit on 6/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Reply to post by ChemBreather

Have u compared 2009 to other years? I wouldn't mind seeing some statistics from say...the past 20 yrs, in maybe 5 or 6 yr intervals....could prove interesting.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
found a decent list of disasters from bc to present

www.scaruffi.com...

you can see in the last 100 years or so the natural disasters have increased a quite an alarming rate. Thats just earth lashin back at us for treatin her the way we do.....no need to worry ya know...

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   

www.scaruffi.com...

you can see in the last 100 years or so the natural disasters have increased a quite an alarming rate. Thats just earth lashin back at us for treatin her the way we do.....no need to worry ya know...

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree

www.scaruffi.com...

Ehh, the link dont work..
But it means the disasters doubles every 10th year...

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Ahhh sorry for that. Ats mobile isn't that reliable. Sorry for the double post as well.

scaruffi.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Ahhh sorry for that. Ats mobile isn't that reliable. Sorry for the double post as well.

scaruffi.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

sigh...i did it again...im horrible lol

www.scaruffi.com...

it's right this time i promise!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree

sigh...i did it again...im horrible lol

www.scaruffi.com...

it's right this time i promise!

Ooops, I did it again ..

Nice find there..

The worst Natural Disasters ever

Several governments are blamed for some of these natural disasters, eg Stalin for the Ukrainian famine of 1921, Mao for the Chinese famine of 1969 and Britain for the Irish famine of 1845. In this page i simply list the figures. It is an endless argument to decide if people would have died anyway.

Athens, 430 B.C.: Typhus epidemic
Pompei, 79: Volcanic eruption
Antioch, Syria, 526: Earthquake (250,000 dead)
Costantinopole, 542: Bubonic plague
Beirut, Lebanon, 551: earthquake and tsunami (tens of thousands dead)
Japan, 1181: famine (100,000 dead)
Holland, 1228: sea flood (100,000 dead)
Chihli, China, 1290: Earthquake (100,000 dead)
Europe and Asia, 1346-52: Bubonic plague or "black death" (one third of the European population dead plus millions in Asia and North Africa for a total of 25 million)
Brazil, 1555: smallpox (? dead)
Mexico, 1555-76: smallpox (more than one million dead)
Shensi, China, 1556: earthquake (800,000 dead)
Russia, 1601-03: famine (one million dead)
Northern Italy, 1629-31: plague (120,000 dead)
Napoli, Italy, 1631: Mt Vesuvius erupts (3,000 dead)
Havana, 1648: Yellow fever epidemic
Sevilla, Spain, 1649: Plague (80,000 dead)
Russia, 1654-56: plague (200,000 dead)
Napoli, Italy, 1656: plague (150,000 dead)
Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1663: plague (50,000 dead)
London, Britain, 1665: plague (150,000 dead)
Turkey, 1668: earthquake (8,000 dead)
Vienna, Austria, 1679: plague (76,000 dead)
Prussia, Sweden and Finland, 1709-11: plague (300,000 dead)
Hokkaido, Japan, 1730: Earthquake (140,000 dead)
Lisbon, 1755: earthquake and tsunami (30,000 dead)
Calcutta, 1737: Earthquake (300,000 dead)
Bengal, India, 1769: famine (10 million dead)
Russia, 1770-71: plague (200,000 dead)
India, 1775: Tsunami (60,000 dead)
Northamerica, 1775-82: Smallpox (130,000 dead)
Iran, 1780: earthquake (200,000 dead)
Caribbeans, 1780: Hurricane (22,000 dead)

And on and on ! Long list there...

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
That list didn't have the MAY 8, 2009 Inland hurricane that hit the midwestern states. I live in Illinois and we got hit pretty hard. It was like a tornado only it just stayed over our home for about 20 min. Southern Illinois had massive damage. People were really stunned..it was truly one of the weirdest things I have ever experienced.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
That list didn't have the MAY 8, 2009 Inland hurricane that hit the midwestern states. I live in Illinois and we got hit pretty hard. It was like a tornado only it just stayed over our home for about 20 min. Southern Illinois had massive damage. People were really stunned..it was truly one of the weirdest things I have ever experienced.

That is a shame, contact them and lay out the details for them, and maybe they will insert it !

Sounds allmost like WeatherWareFare there now, maybe they were out to get you !

[edit on 6/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The reason it seems like there are more disasters now is because we hear about them more.

Take your list just for January for example. It includes several events that are very regional in scope in addition to casualties being minimal ( I think every life is precious but you know what I mean).

A hundred years very few would have heard about events which were out of the sphere of personal knowledge. You would have heard about the coal mine collapse in the neighbouring county a few days after it happend, but you would never have heard about the coal mine collapsing in China.

Today you hear and read about events minutes after they happen, sometimes as they happen. It can be next door, or it can be on the other side of the earth.

I'm convinced there no more disasters now than there were 100 years ago - the only difference is our awareness of them.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

It is a good point you put forth there, yet things are escalating, just look at the aeroplanes falling so far this year, if that keeps up, the statistics will be altered dramaticly..

1 death per day by plane crash I think the stats were last winter, got to be up to atleast 3 a day or something now ..

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Reply to post by Merigold

Very valid point. However the only thing we can do is speculate really. There isn't a surefire method of knowing if we just lack the documentation or if the disaster rate is actually increasing.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I hope this link works...this is the 2nd post i've made and was too lazy to look up how to post links..link is to video of what the inland hurricane was like.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

I live in Missouri and sometime in the begginning of May we had storms hit and we got 10 inches of rain. It seemed a lot like a huricane because the amount of rain and wind.
I know in 2008 we had so many severe storms and I often joked to my family about how many hurricanes we had in 2008 in Missouri.
My friend from Flordia will call up asking how was the hurricane. I was laughing because you think it would be the other way around.
These storms are not tornados and they are worse than severe storms. Maybe someday in the future they will finally classify these super severe storms as inland hurricanes. It is possible a storm can sit and spin. It can also have winds moving in directions just like a hurricane. The only difference from experience and seeing hurricanes in videos is the lack of ocean surge.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Pictures of damage of a severe storm that hit.
The last picture was about a mile and half from my apartment. Damage was widespread over a 5-10 mile radius. They said this was a tornado but it did not sound like one. It sounded like very very strong winds.
It reminded me of a hurricane.
This happened May 1, 2008 in the middle of the night.
The stop sign picture looks as if the wind bent it over. If it was a tornado it was an F4 I believe.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by dreamseeker]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

The storm that hit s. Illinois on may 8 was an Inland Hurricane or Derecho according to weather.com. I'm not for sure why it didn't really hit mainstream media..I think it was on CNN but I can't say for sure. We didn't have power for a week and some places had no power, phone, sat service for a month. If you follow the youtube link you can see our local weather guy showing the radar during and after the storm. Williamson County, Illinois got the "eye of the storm"...it was so bizarre hearing that. Right after he said that..the power went off.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

I certianly believe it. I am watching video on you tube now. It is much like the storms we have been having in missouri for the past few years. I am sure when you are there in person it is more dramatic.
I am going to buy a camcorder so I can record these storms that come in. Weather fascinates me.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Disasters no fun ?

Post some Actress news, maybe people are more interested...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join