It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
British holidaymakers have been warned to avoid beaches in northern France because of toxic fumes from rotting seaweed. Skip related content
Related photos / videos Rotting Seaweed Toxic Fumes Alert In France Enlarge photo One stretch of beach at Saint-Michel-en-Greve in Brittany has already been shut after a horse rider lost consciousness and his horse died.
In another case, a council worker paid to clear beaches of the noxious plants was taken to hospital in a coma.
Gilles Youenou, of the French Institute for Sea Research and Exploitation, said: "We would advise people to avoid the beaches in this area as the seaweed can give off hydrogen sulphide fumes.
"This is all a result of a problem with agriculture. Nitrates have got into the water and polluted it.
"A crust forms over stacks of rotting seaweed and when this crust is broken, fumes get out. It can be particularly lethal to dogs and other animals."
More at source. - uk.news.yahoo.com...
This is all a result of a problem with agriculture. Nitrates have got into the water and polluted it.
The most common form of nitrate contamination and poisoning is from cow feces blending with the water supply, seems to be the case here too.