It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Clickey Suspicions-"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

I only post when I feel compelled to. If my opinion makes me unpopular, oh well. It doesn't bother me if I'm part of the popular clique or not.
I do like giving out stars to good posts though. I gave you one, and a flag too.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Hmmm ... interesting question and one I've asked myself a few times also ... however, now that someone else is asking it, I can take a step back and be more objective.

First, I would agree that there seems to be a bit of a clique mentality going on ... but I have to ask myself if it might not only appear that way because more people are interested in what these people have to say? ... Without the "fans" they would not be as popular ... so is it the thread starters or their readers who are causing this phenomenon?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
For the record - "Cliques" are not allowed on ATS. Anything that looks like "ganging up" should be alert to the staff:

2d.) Forum Gangs: You will not engaged in an organized collaboration with other members to disrupt thread topics or interrupt the flow of normal collaborative discussion. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

Terms & Conditions Of Use.

CX

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
To be honest, i think most of the times cliches are misunderstood.

If you see what is deemed to be a click, it is probably just a group of people that know each other better, or have been here a while longer to speak to each other in a more informal manner.

That can often be taken as a "cliche" with more sinister undertones, when all it means is, you are not quite there yet.

That can cause resentment and subsequently bitter allegations of cliches.

I am not insinuating that the OP is like that, but it can happen.

It's also not the fault of the members of the alleged clique.

CX.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
For the record - "Cliques" are not allowed on ATS. Anything that looks like "ganging up" should be alert to the staff:

2d.) Forum Gangs: You will not engaged in an organized collaboration with other members to disrupt thread topics or interrupt the flow of normal collaborative discussion. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

Terms & Conditions Of Use.

(edittttt!!! I just read your comment on said post
My bad!! erps!!)

??

Anyways... the thread now exists where it should have been in the first place.

[edit on 7/8/2009 by Ha`la`tha]

^^ Oh and Nit Picking time

you need to change the wording of that quote..

"You will not engaged in an organized..." should be

"You will not engage in an organized..." - I noticed that when I was reviewing the thread it comes from a while back, it seems it might have formerly been "You will not be engaged in..." but a clarification left it unedited.

I'll go away now!

[edit on 7/8/2009 by Ha`la`tha]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I completely agree and feel that is often the case here and on other forums. Some people are more shy about approaching topics or what looks like a "hang out" of regular members and see it as a clique rather than a friendly gathering place.

I have seen it here and on other forums and undoubtedly will happen again.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
While I applaud the OP and other members for not mentioning specific names (which I know there are some that sparked this thread
) I must say that I personally see nothing wrong with certain ATS members being "popular"--for the most part it is well deserved, meaning that member usually posts topics in a well written manner and usually has something of substance to say. I also think that one must be careful in how much "faith" they put in any one member, regardless of their history. Is there anything wrong with 'following' certain members? NO... But one always must keep in mind that these other members (which everyone is calling 'popular') are human themselves, so let us not place them on too high a pedestal.

It is only human to respect and follow others that seem to take a leadership or 'iconic' role. This is a social discussion board so I do not think certain individuals reaching a "celebrity status" is to be unexpected--again most deserve it, as many members devote HOURS a day to helping the various topics on this epic site. In summary I am saying that most of these so called "ATS celebs" deserve whatever 'following' they get, but it is always important to keep in mind that EVERYONE is human here, no one is better than the other.

I am not a old member, but I am not a new member either. I joined on December 27th, 2007 (but was away from ATS from July 9th 2008 to April 2nd 2009)--but in that time I have learned a GREAT deal of things. I have already been through this and many other things that come with active participation in such a large and populated social site.

I am not trying to 'tell' anyone anything, only offer my own opinion based on experience so far. What I have seen is that (in regards to this popularity issue) whatever recognition members get is WELL deserved for the most part. However it is also important to not focus on such petty issues, as we all came to ATS for the reason of "denying ignorance" right? Well is it not time to get past all this common crap? I mean we are all intelligent on here (since we all found this site and joined) so let us not worry about petty things like this, let us all focus on the whole point that each of us joined this site for--To DENY IGNORANCE. What does that translate to? Well I think we all know, but I will be redundant anyways (
)....We all joined this site to break the current paradigm we face everyday in the mainstream world, we did not join this site to stay with the same "facebook, myspace, popular culture, etc.." ideologies did we? Well I didn't and I doubt anyone else did, or they would spend most of their time on the aforementioned sites.

In conclusion I want to say that it is an innate trait for individuals to "click up" with others who maintain a more active role in life (either virtual or real), this is nothing new. We should not worry about such things, it is best to concentrate on the main topics of this site, I mean after all that is why you joined right? ATS is a place that was made so we can all break away from the common world fallacies of envy, ignorance, and mainstream ideology. Even in saying that we all can not expect some human traits to change. Basically I am trying to say that we shouldn't worry about this or other nominal issues, if I have learned anything (personally) from my relatively short tenure on ATS it is this:

There is so much this site has to offer, why waste the time worrying about the very things we face everyday outside of ATS???

Thank you jkrog08- I have found your Post to be most "Outstanding" -thank you for your insight, a very truthful summary of the topic. Makes much sense in what your saying- and one to "Value Up On" haveing not done the homework and Research myself. I thank you for this clear and concisive input.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Cliques aren't necessarily a ganging up. They can be a group of individuals that are more likely to offer their feedback and insight to one another and are less likely to do so with people outside that group. It is usually loosely bound but present nonetheless-- far less overt than the Masonic posting gangs that spring to mind.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join