It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Clickey Suspicions-"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

Some people are just cooler then others, they know how to attract people. You can attract people even if the topic in hand is as retarded as your figment of imagination.

At the end of the day the ATS staff is responsible for this, if it is a mistake or not, the system which they have implemented is a failure. They need to have a sit and come up with new ideas to tackle this issue.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I love cliques when I am a member and hate them whem I am excuded.

I think it has to do with similar interest and like-mindedness.
Naturally here and in real life I like people that like to discuss the same things as I do.

Here at ATS if another member likes your avatar or something you post and compliments you aren't you going to like them? I do!

It's human nature.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
What if there are small groups out there that loosely coordinate and post in a certain topic? Is that illegal? I've seen it happen countless times in doomsday topics (I won't mention them to keep anonymity of the topic creators). Yes, it can be annoying, but I usually just ignore them. If they want to have their 1,000+ post topic with them arguing back and forth over arbitrary points that don't have much substance, then, as long as it is somewhat ATS related, let them. Popularity means nothing in the digital world when you disconnect from it and are left with nothing.

[edit on 8/6/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
been on here for a coupl of years now and dont see any "clicks"....some post quite frequently and so will be read more frequently....have had a couple of reply posts starred and applaused [and a couple of posts removed - my bad
] but that doesn't happen very often...not bothered by that...when it does happen I'm pleasantly surprised and go on about my day, the post, the applause and stars or lack thereof soon forgotten - means very little in the long run and so not worth fretting over one way or the other....I hear from other members very infrequently but that doesn't bother me either - I post about once a week on topics that interest me and the rest I ignore - I'm a very average participant and the fact that some receive more attention than me is a complete nonstarter imo....

I come here for the topics , info and somtimes extremely insightful discussions that take place...I can tell in about thirty seconds if the discussion is going to be worth my time - from the time I have spent on these forums I have found them to be well moderated and the site run as fairly as humanly possible given the variety of ego pathology that exists on a site this large....in short - no clicks, at least not from the top down -

Alternative to cliquishness? Start your own

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I am not sure that there are cliques here, it seems that the threads that get the most replies are the ones where the strongest opinions are expressed which lead to other strong opinions, and back and forth it goes. I do try to read all the new topics to the best of my ability, but it is difficult to do. I usually do not post much because usually one or two other members have already expressed the viewpoint or facts that I would have, and I am not much for posting just to put my $.02 into the matter. I have learned alot here just by reading others facts and opinions and following their links.But as far as cliques...no, I do not see it.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

I think it has to do with similar interest and like-mindedness.
Naturally here and in real life I like people that like to discuss the same things as I do.

Here at ATS if another member likes your avatar or something you post and compliments you aren't you going to like them? I do!

It's human nature.

Hey, I like your avatar (shows wisdom), enjoy reading your posts, and find that you are very like-minded to me...

If you sort of sit back and just read others posts for a while, you will get to know who has similar beliefs and posting "habits".

Like cindymars said, you are drawn to these people as it is human nature.

They also usually post what you would have anyway, so you just give a star instead of wasting space with "I agree", although I have been known to do just that.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Honestly, I haven't been a member here but a few months, and some of my threads may be considered "retarded" by some. I have had threads moved to BTS, I have threads that went no where and I have had threads that were very popular. I think its a matter of choosing a discussion topic that people find interesting or at least entertaining as well as putting your thread together in a cohesive manner. I do not see any cliques. I have worked to get my stars and flags...and as for my avatar....its not spectacular, just a painting that I did....

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Just post when it feels right, don't sensationalize for attention, and be as polite and respectful as possible even to people who don't share the same views as you.

Do that consistantly and you will be popular. Most here are driven to mainstay personalities but that is probably because over time you become able to understand, trust and appreciate the oppinion and voice of certain people over others you barely know or do not know at all.

Give it some time

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Here is an example.

This post states my thoughts exactly but I can't write this good.

Normally, I would just star but am responding just to show my point.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Gosh, I certainly hope I'm not a part of any clique.

I would never belong to a club that would allow me to be a member. (Groucho Marx)

What disturbs me the most are the mental midgets that continuously post Links to Wikipedia as if the rest of us are too stupid to get their point.

But not seriously, thanks for saying what I've always felt. Star, Flag, parking stub validated.

< And I despise these things.

[/rant] < and I detest sly coding crap like that.

And please ignore my big fat vanity-plate Avatar.

Regards...KK
(BTW, I always sign off like that and no one has ever thought to replace the "g" with a "t")

[edit on 6-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

It's clickey just like high school is clickey. I won't name the various groups out of courtesy but needless to say you're right. The best action to take if you find you are becoming too popular is to reevaluate yourself and make sure you are being honest.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Possible. But really you're going to find cliquish behavior in any gathering of humanity. Especially once you start getting into the hundreds of people.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Possible. But really you're going to find cliquish behavior in any gathering of humanity. Especially once you start getting into the hundreds of people.

It definitely explains why so often I have a flood of information I'd like to share and then in the middle of typing I get a barfy feeling, knowing noone will truely appreciate the time and effort and either discard it or reduce it to a few sentences.

I almost dumped with this one but pushed through it with the mental pepto.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Seriously? I have been a closet reader for months and only registered yesterday. I have read many, many posts - and appreciate the people that make intelligent, well thought out, insightful threads/posts. I am disappointed that this thread even exists on this site. ATS members like that Zorgon, for example, bring a level of credibility and professionalism to a "fringe" site like this - which makes this site worthwhile. Soooooo, shut up, quit whining, do your research, and post value.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I am not sure I understand what you mean.
But, I think we all reduce information and pretty much sort it according to our own preconceptions, even if it's just a little bit.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I don't see the clickey thing that's going on at all.
I'll add at this point that my avatar is pretty basic, I'm female and I don't get any special treatment or extra attention. In fact, most think I'm a guy!!

I've worked out that, on average, I get a star per 1.5 posts and so it's nice to know people appreciate my input.
I highly doubt that I would get more attention, stars, flags etc if I was to put up a femalecentric avvie, so I'll agree to disagree that the girls get more attention than the boys here.
But star for you for being brave and putting your thoughts on the matter out there.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
While I applaud the OP and other members for not mentioning specific names (which I know there are some that sparked this thread
) I must say that I personally see nothing wrong with certain ATS members being "popular"--for the most part it is well deserved, meaning that member usually posts topics in a well written manner and usually has something of substance to say. I also think that one must be careful in how much "faith" they put in any one member, regardless of their history. Is there anything wrong with 'following' certain members? NO... But one always must keep in mind that these other members (which everyone is calling 'popular') are human themselves, so let us not place them on too high a pedestal.

It is only human to respect and follow others that seem to take a leadership or 'iconic' role. This is a social discussion board so I do not think certain individuals reaching a "celebrity status" is to be unexpected--again most deserve it, as many members devote HOURS a day to helping the various topics on this epic site. In summary I am saying that most of these so called "ATS celebs" deserve whatever 'following' they get, but it is always important to keep in mind that EVERYONE is human here, no one is better than the other.

I am not a old member, but I am not a new member either. I joined on December 27th, 2007 (but was away from ATS from July 9th 2008 to April 2nd 2009)--but in that time I have learned a GREAT deal of things. I have already been through this and many other things that come with active participation in such a large and populated social site.

I am not trying to 'tell' anyone anything, only offer my own opinion based on experience so far. What I have seen is that (in regards to this popularity issue) whatever recognition members get is WELL deserved for the most part. However it is also important to not focus on such petty issues, as we all came to ATS for the reason of "denying ignorance" right? Well is it not time to get past all this common crap? I mean we are all intelligent on here (since we all found this site and joined) so let us not worry about petty things like this, let us all focus on the whole point that each of us joined this site for--To DENY IGNORANCE. What does that translate to? Well I think we all know, but I will be redundant anyways (
)....We all joined this site to break the current paradigm we face everyday in the mainstream world, we did not join this site to stay with the same "facebook, myspace, popular culture, etc.." ideologies did we? Well I didn't and I doubt anyone else did, or they would spend most of their time on the aforementioned sites.

In conclusion I want to say that it is an innate trait for individuals to "click up" with others who maintain a more active role in life (either virtual or real), this is nothing new. We should not worry about such things, it is best to concentrate on the main topics of this site, I mean after all that is why you joined right? ATS is a place that was made so we can all break away from the common world fallacies of envy, ignorance, and mainstream ideology. Even in saying that we all can not expect some human traits to change. Basically I am trying to say that we shouldn't worry about this or other nominal issues, if I have learned anything (personally) from my relatively short tenure on ATS it is this:

There is so much this site has to offer, why waste the time worrying about the very things we face everyday outside of ATS???

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive
i completly agree,ive see a lot of very interesting threads,like groundbreaking,even i make great threads now and then,but those threads get so little attencion,like 2 replies and..thats it.
meanwhile theres tons of stupid threads,hoaxes or someone claiming there is a conspiracy in something that is just stupid....with 1000 replies
something is going on here

Welcome to ATS. A conspiracy site. People often gravitate to the weird and out right implausible.

I don't think those people are defined as "popular"... In fact, I don't know what you would consider "popularity" on a discussion board like this? If you stick around long enough and post often, people will recognize you. May not like you, mind you, I suspect plenty of people dislike me.. but they know me.. because I have been here (to long perhaps?
)

Some people are known for exceptional threads as well, and develop friendships with other members who read what they have to say, star and flag their threads sometimes.. imo, it all has to do with how vocal and how long you have been here.

I personally have never seen you before.

But it's a big place, isn't it?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Even when you are an attractive female, it's not that easy to get your posts attended to. I think it's more about sensationalism than a clique mentality.. If you write something that's well reasoned, thought out, with a sober title that matches the subject, chances are, 2 people will read it, and only one of them will respond. It sucks, because most of the time I put a lot of thought into my posts, and yet I can see that say, the one liner 4 posts below mine has 20 stars, and I have one, because barely anyone read what I had to say.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join