It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Clickey Suspicions-"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
-Elvis Presley- "suspicion torments my mind, suspicion why torture me?
Do you ever feel that ATS has a clicky "circle" going on -in terms of "popular" members- where it may be throughout any field that you engage and participate a story or "truth" of some kind. Seems to me that some people gain a lot of attention due to their popularity, where as others seem to be "invisible" though they may have interesting things to tell as well as being quite inteligent. Your thoughts??

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
i completly agree,ive see a lot of very interesting threads,like groundbreaking,even i make great threads now and then,but those threads get so little attencion,like 2 replies and..thats it.
meanwhile theres tons of stupid threads,hoaxes or someone claiming there is a conspiracy in something that is just stupid....with 1000 replies
something is going on here

CX

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Interesting thought, in the past i have at times thought that people have gravitated towards the more well known members threads, or those with the fanciest avatar...as though a great avatar obviously goes hand in hand with great knowledge.

Fortunately i think this is not the case here on ATS.

This place is just like any other society on the planet. There are the popular ones, and the not so popular. That could be due to a member being very confident, so they put themselves about more and in an extrovert manner.

However more often than not, it is the quality of your threads that will get you a following.

Plus once you've been here a while, you reveal a bit more about yourself and you tend to humanise with members a little more (is that even a term?...oh well...).

So if it looks clicky, it's either because a group of people are into a particular subject, or they have known each other for so long on this site it's like chatting to a mate.

To the outside world, i'm sure the whole of ATS looks clicky.

CX.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

"StillAlive" -I honestly agree with you in this somewhat unreasonable pattern that keeps emerging. I have read about people seeing portals opening up and that a "different dimension takes place". ...Well each to thery're own but I think that this is very far fetched. Its bad enough trying to explain or prove the "existence" of Aliens- let alone Portals that have some science fiction 'node" of super "non-fictious" creatures -sprawling about-

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Xc- if that right? -I understand your point of view, though I still think this does not wieigh up-in terms of the Information I have observed through out the time I've been involved.

CX

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by catalyst2466
reply to post by CX

Xc- if that right? -I understand your point of view, though I still think this does not wieigh up-in terms of the Information I have observed through out the time I've been involved.

Fair one. I'm not saying what you are seeing is not happening, i guess i just haven't experienced the clickyness too much myself.

I have seen the odd occasion where a very important or well written thread has received few views, yet a thread written by one of our more attractive female members has had a herd of people replying to it. The videos in the media section are a good example of this too.

No offence meant there to any of our female members, your posts are as well informed as any on here.....but on the odd occasion it's pretty obvious that guys surf this site with thier appendages rather than their brains. I blame that on the avatars once again though......i wonder what it would be like here without avatars?

CX.

[edit on 6/8/09 by CX]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

I don't think 'clickey' is the right word. Clicks/cliques work by choosing to ignore other people and favoring some. That'd be a hard thing to pull off. What does happen is that people who share other members perspectives tend to loosely group together. I'm a fairly skeptical guy and *shock!horror* most on my friends list are fairly skeptical too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----

In general......

When I first joined ATS, I had no avatar for a long time and any posts just got ignored/ overlooked. One very good member sent a couple of applause, I chose an avatar and people began to reply sometimes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is screw the idea or reality of clicks. Screw 'em. People on forums mostly come and go. Learn from others, but don't try to be like them. Some members are like those wildlife shows with the big, fat ox being followed by flies and birds. Now who wants to be a big, fat ox or one their flies and birds? Be yourself.

Two things...get a good avatar...it's internet fashion! Don't admire or condemn internet people...who knows what they're like really?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Hey "StillAlive" -just checked out your profile- you seem to me to be quite an "intellectual" and this just grabs my tea!! - Care for some intellectual conversation anytime- beats the braindead or "superficial" -"hogwash" that seems to come "trampling" over this site.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Hey -just looking at your "avatar" - looks no way in sight-for "anything exciting?" - Just saying as you mentioned avators played a part-but man-your avatar shows nothing but green boring BS! -sorry but just the truth and not BS!

[edit on 6-8-2009 by catalyst2466]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Sorry I did not mean that in a nasty way- I see a nice blue earth ball but the rest needs to be worked on- too much dark dullish murkey green-grey dominates your avatar. ... Back to "Popularity Status" here on ATS- I'm still new so - I guess -who knows? -Personally do I really care? Answer: No -because I value the life I have in the "Real
World"- and that is with people I connect with on a daily basis and those who are close such as "Family" and "Close Friends" - that is what matters.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Ok so what else are your thoughts? Does anybody have anything else that is significant in this topic raised, are you satisfied or are you in the world of "Dumb"? - comment if you can comprehend....

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
you shouldnt had brought the ugly avatar stuff,couse people get offended.i also think theyr are ugly avatars,but everyone has different taste and thinks that are "cool" for him.so yea dont fight guis.
as for you yeaa sure what you guis use to chat or something
hit me up when u want

---
allright i would love to talk how come some of my threads are like "fix your eyes" and it only gets 11 comments.
and how come a thread about lets say some girl thought the packaging of her ice cream was having NWO signs stays on front page for a week.whe clearly the packaging of her ice cream got nothing to do with nwo,like when people say there are isoteric symbols in wow,cmon people,they have to take theyr magic symbols from somewhere..

and yes all man are easily controled by a female avatar,sad story,i wish i could see a day when most of us dont sell theyr soul that easily.

but its just so nice to see a girl posting here,imagine shes not only cute but shes open minded and inteligent on our level,a every inteligent guy's dream
[edit on 6-8-2009 by Stillalive]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

Hey I did say that I didn't mean it -its just that he raised a point of haveing "attractive" avators- whatever! -I did apoligise -meaning not to offend- but hey- probably done my dash now with "Forward Speech"- anyways -not sure what to hit you with right now. ...but there is always time to think and then to speak! The purpose of this thread was to discuss the "rateings"- which Its obvious-that goes with "popular members". Its in a way interesting that ATS has soooo many members- and if your really dedicated too- I guess you would keep regualrly afloat and get to know lots of people. Just like anywhere else. Though it might seem unfair to new members who are just "learning the ropes"-so to speak. Though of real course for concern is that -the "Internet" -really is something that we should consider as a "extra alternative" to "Submerge" within our lives. Though the trap is not to get "Caught On Line"- you really need to have contact and by that I mean "face to face contact"- with friends, family or get involved in a "group activity"- "hoby" of some sort- Relate to "Real Life Contact".

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The best threads are usually long ones.

I haven't been here too many years, but in my short time visiting and participating in this thread I have come to learn that as this site becomes more and more populated, the quality drops with the quantity sky-rocketing.

With that, it is sad to say that a vast majority of people here are here to scream and yell the same three or four responses to any given issue (always a link to a MSM article or something else equally empty of actual substance) and the good threads will rot and die.

I blame the points system, peoples unwillingness to read an entire post/thread before replying and the overwhelming stupidity that is rapodly taking over.

edit to add:

I have been here long enough to witness the unavoidable 'girl' influence on the boards.

It may be a woman who activley participates in good conversation, happens to be good looking and gets tons of attention from every creeper on the board (always thinking they sound like casanova)

OR

The girl who comes here acting like so many 'gamer girls'. In short: Attention [snip].

The former has the unfortunate experience of dealing with socially retarded people, the latter is an annoyance which rarely manifests itself into anything more substantial than constant e-flirting and psuedo-modesty in the 'post a picture' threads.

[edit on 8/6/0909 by spines]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

Thanks for your reply Spines-
its something to contemplate -particularly of this "contemporary"-topic.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
yea like a normal girl cant find enough attencion going out and dating but has to spend time here being top model,and im not even sarcastic,some of them are just like that.
flagd

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by catalyst2466
reply to post by Kandinsky

Hey -just looking at your "avatar" - looks no way in sight-for "anything exciting?" - Just saying as you mentioned avators played a part-but man-your avatar shows nothing but green boring BS! -sorry but just the truth and not BS!

Firstly, it's blue boring BS! Dammit! Not green. I chose it because it doesn't mean anything. At the time, ATS seemed full of dudes with aliens, saucers and tough guy avatars. Like I say (and you prove), you get judged on an avatar so I chose neutral. They catch the eye...after a while blank names get overlooked.

My main point stands though...people shouldn't try too hard to get noticed or buddy up on a forum. 99% never meet...then again..any more sh** about people's avatars and I'm sure people will want to meet your color-blind ass

Take it easy

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
no need to flame him more,the guy apologised...and this is a mac icon...
you seem to be a maclover! we dont like your kind here -_- XD

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join