It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three UC Berkeley Graduates Detained in Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Three UC Berkeley Graduates Detained in Iran

www.dailycal.org

Bauer was no stranger to travel in the Middle East, a proficient speaker of Arabic and a freelance journalist in conflict zones ranging from Darfur to Baghdad.

"I'll just be there for a week-mostly I want to feel out the situation there and get some ideas for deeper stories," Bauer wrote in an e-mail to one of his publishers the day he left for the province. "Kurdistan is the big story in Iraq right now."

But while on a hike near the Iraqi resort town of Ahmed Awa just four days later, he and two companions-his girlfriend and a former housemate-were arrested and later charged with c
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Here's a different viewpoint to the Press TV article that is more realistic & not so one-sided..... and it does appear that Press TV is spinning more lies & propaganda as expected.

Several friends also maintain the detainees' innocence amid allegations that have gained global attention.

"I'm terrified. I'm terrified for her," said Rebecca Fisher, a longtime friend of Shourd. "I have no idea what the Iranian authorities are going to do."

Friends Call Allegations Against Detainees 'Absurd'

Swiss diplomats are currently negotiating with Iran to determine the status of the detainees. However, no significant progress has been reported.

Voice of Iraq, an Iraqi media outlet, reported that Colonel Anwar Haj Omar of the Halabja police force in northern Iraq had linked the three Americans to the Central Intelligence Agency, according to Press TV, Iran's national news agency.

I've checked every source, and they all refer to Press TV as the source of these accusations made by an Iraqi. It's highly doubtful these are legitimate, and no Iraqi source or any other alternate source for that fact can be found.

Therefore I can only conclude that Iran are playing a propaganda game through their state run news media website.

Media Reports "Spun," Says Scholar

UCLA Iranian Studies Director Hossein Ziai said the media reports coming out of the region are heavily skewed and often untrue.

"They're anything but news ... I call them rags, where things are spun and a lot of them lie," he said. "Nobody believes what is said in these sources."

Ziai said he was frightened by the accusations that the detainees are C.I.A. agents because the claims could be used in "show trials" on Iranian national television. In these trials, defendants confess to the accusations against them and say they were trying to subvert the government, he said.

Let this be a lesson to myself and everyone else not to post Press TV sources on here as legitimate, even if it's tempting.

www.dailycal.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
no other media are reporting teh version you have - no one , anywhere

which makse ME believe teh truth is somewhere in the middle - you know , a counter inteligence op to play down the importance of what is going on.

join