Were the 60s "revolutionaries" just a bunch of kids playing "dress-up?"

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Yeah, you had these groups like the Wether Underground who killed real people with real bombs and guns, and you had nutcases like Charlie Mansion or the Process Church doing freaky human sacrifices. Even the "Black Power" groups like the Panthers and the Symbionese Liberation Army had serious weaponry and inflicted casualties.

But it seems to me all these people were pretty "small-fry" in the grand scheme of things. They certainly never reached the level of a true insurgency like, say, Hamas.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
They were spoiled brats who were power hungry. They believed they could make a better world than their parents had provided for them. They are also the people in charge today.

In their youth they had ideas and dreams, but in the end they became just as dissolute and corrupt as those they wished to overthrow.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
"They are also the people in charge today. In their youth they had ideas and dreams, but in the end they became just as dissolute and corrupt as those they wished to overthrow."

I agree. That generation was responsible for more low life hypocritical scum than any other generation before or after. The only way this crappy world will change is if every single one of those ba****** dies. Hopefully this will happen sooner than later.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Visionaries of the 60's were following offshore concepts from India and Israel, seeking "enlightenment" through personal change, attempting to make a world transformation one soul at a time, hoping for all souls to make the new level of open-mindedness. When philosophy and religion stopped short of the goal, drugs were used as enhancers to further the journey to conceptual understanding of the "big picture." At some point, this journey gathered the mistreated, such as the Negro, the poor, those damaged by "the man" (authorities) into the cause celeb --- fighting against the institutions and how they supposedly swallowed individualism.
Ironically, the new parade of sameness also engulfed these individuals, looking like and sounding like one another.

Likely, one can attribute the movement to the radically increased teaching of man being descended from apes which began in 1960, promoted by President Eisenhower to increase science curriculum due to our falling behind the USSR. As a whole, the population sought its new identity under this new concept.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

The "kids" of the 60's counter culture made a huge impact on the way things are done today. They actually stopped the war in Vietnam. They affected the way we look at drugs. They created new fashion. Sick of living in crowded cities, they started communes. They started computer technology. Their impact on music is huge. I can go on, but the silent majority are the ones that killed off these free thinkers and their way of seeing things. They elected Nixon to help eradicate this unpopular behavior. I think it is because of them, that "The Man" came down so hard on everyone...

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

We're all entitled to our own opinions, but I feel that you are overstating the impact the 60s generations had on society as a whole. No doubt they made some waves, and changed the political and social landscape at the time. However, let's be real here....most of the kids in that day and age were just trying to have a good time, and it became a counter-culture that was primarily about sex, drugs, and rock n' roll.

You can paint it any way you want to paint it, but the major movements of the 60s were not orchestrated by a bunch of kids.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

That's is why I put "kids" in quotation marks, most who had impact were in college, got shot at Kent State. You don't see that too much any more. And when was the last time a cultural movement in this country ended a war. The Viet Cong General Jiap understood that to win a war, you must gain the political support of your enemies population to undermine their war intentions. He did this brilliantly. The counter culture of this country made huge impacts on much of the way we think today.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
No the hippies were very real.

But people don't get what they were about. The hippies were NOT about tie-dye or bead necklaces or whatever ... those were 1970s commercializations of the movement, or they were just things they happened to wear more than most people for whatever reason.

The hippies were about the power of working together.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Thanks for all your replies people.

I guess I would draw a distinction between "hippies" in general -- which was a fairly wide countercultural movement -- and the much smaller group of people who considered themselves "revolutionaries" and engaged in actual violent rebellion against "the system."

It is the latter group I am most interested in exploring because it was the last time America saw organized internal "revolution-like" groups, although as I stated they all seem pretty small-fry. I guess you could consider the militia mvt. of the 90s a right-wing mirror reflection but those groups didn't go around blowing up buildings and actually killing people the way the Weather Underground did (Timothy McVeigh being the lone notable exception...and he wasn't directly connected with a well-defined, organized group like the Weathermen or the Black Panthers).

Behind all these thoughts, of course, is what sort of violence our own darkening times has the potential to breed, on either the left or the right. It's been so long since this country had a seriously dangerous, organized revolutionary corps dedicated to actually killing people and overthrowing the govt. The 60s leftists terrorists were the last thing resembling this, and to me even they seem rather little-league compared with serious revolutionaries like the Nicaraguan Contras, for example.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I think the leftist revolutionary movements of the 60's were a direct result of the complete insanity of the country at the time.

We were engaged in a full scale war against peasants on the other side of the world. People realized that the cruelty with which the government and military waged that war was evidence of the fact that the people in power in this country were LUNATICS. They correctly saw capitalism and authoritarianism in general as a system that promoted racism, militarism, and poverty.

They saw they're peaceful pleas for peace and equality met with billy clubs and tear gas. They saw their friends and family members coming back in body bags by the tens of thousands from Vietnam.

They wanted to take their country back.

One note about the Weathermen, by the way, is that they went to great lengths to avoid killing people. They called in their bombings ahead of time so people could get out of the building. They claimed to be committing acts of what they called 'extreme vandalism'.

Also it's not really fair to say they were 'small-fry' compared to hamas. They played their part in what they saw as a global leftist movement that was gaining a lot of traction. A movement, by the way, that was set back not because their wasn't popular support, but because the US military and intelligence community crushed it with brute force in every corner of the world.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by milesp]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by milesp
I think the leftist revolutionary movements of the 60's were a direct result of the complete insanity of the country at the time.

We were engaged in a full scale war against peasants on the other side of the world. People realized that the cruelty with which the government and military waged that war was evidence of the fact that the people in power in this country were LUNATICS. They correctly saw capitalism and authoritarianism in general as a system that promoted racism, militarism, and poverty.

They saw they're peaceful pleas for peace and equality met with billy clubs and tear gas. They saw their friends and family members coming back in body bags by the tens of thousands from Vietnam.

They wanted to take their country back.

One note about the Weathermen, by the way, is that they went to great lengths to avoid killing people. They called in their bombings ahead of time so people could get out of the building. They claimed to be committing acts of what they called 'extreme vandalism'.

Also it's not really fair to say they were 'small-fry' compared to hamas. They played their part in what they saw as a global leftist movement that was gaining a lot of traction. A movement, by the way, that was set back not because their wasn't popular support, but because the US military and intelligence community crushed it with brute force in every corner of the world.

Totally agree.

new topics

top topics

join