It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Clinton Used Vast Web of Business Contacts to Secure Journalists' Release

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Bill Clinton Used Vast Web of Business Contacts to Secure Journalists' Release

www.washingtonpost.com

Former president Bill Clinton's central role in the return of two journalists detained by North Korea has once again cast a spotlight on his vast web of financial and political contacts, a network that troubled senators who weighed whether to confirm his wife as secretary of state.

In the case of the detainees, Clinton tapped wealthy business people to execute a mission that, without a special federal waiver for the aircraft to travel to North Korea, would have been illegal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

The administration had wanted to send former vice president Al Gore to North Korea instead of Clinton; Gore is a co-founder of Current TV, which employs the journalists who were detained. But North Korean officials hinted that they wanted an envoy of Clinton's stature, sources said.

Haha Al Gore not good enough for them, they wanted Bill Clinton.

So if Clinton has such a vast web of business contacts, then it is possible he could use that in Iran for the 3 detained tourists. But just like with N.Korea, this would potentially open the door to these regimes expecting their attention from rich & powerful people when they've done something wrong.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
You tend to get a vast web of business contacts after you've been president of the United States for eight years.

He probably has business contacts that do nothing but handle the other business contacts he has.

Being POTUS has it's rewards.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Excellent, so we buy them off with a modern day appeasement policy. Awesome...cause you know that worked so well for the Brits in 1937.

Look, I'm all for negotiation, but on things like land rights, and cooperation in the international space program. Not on releasing US citizens who were wrongly arrested.

BTW, if anyone has info that these folks were NOT wrongfully arrested, let me know...last I heard, they were grabbed on the Iraqi side of the border as spies.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
Excellent, so we buy them off with a modern day appeasement policy. Awesome...cause you know that worked so well for the Brits in 1937.

Look, I'm all for negotiation, but on things like land rights, and cooperation in the international space program. Not on releasing US citizens who were wrongly arrested.

BTW, if anyone has info that these folks were NOT wrongfully arrested, let me know...last I heard, they were grabbed on the Iraqi side of the border as spies.

They were grabbed on the China border and were probably guilty. They haven't stated that they weren't so far when I hear them speak earlier.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

give Billy a couple of months. He will get these poor tourists out of Iran?

Oh, the power of William Jefferson Clinton!

Yep, he will show up after the deal is done.
Inquiring minds want to know; Did Billy J. not have sex with these girls, too?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
If one takes a narrow view of things for a moment then I have no problem what so ever with Bill Clinton trip to North Korea . In a wider context I still maintain that the time has come to take North Korea out . The pattern of diplomatic settlement and North Korea breaking the settlement and doing something even more crazy then last time will not be broken . I don't want to find out what the next crazy thing that North Korea is going to do .

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Hmm, occasional idle threats and the wrangling of two *SHUDDER* American journalists...and it's time to wipe the whole country out?
Talk about overkill man.

Bill Clinton may have a vast array of business contacts, and he may have gotten those two girls released, but he's still a moron of monumental proportions.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
something is entirely bizarre...

Kim Jong, he seems Very, VERY happy to look at him anytime an American leader shows up from Albright to Clinton

That and aspects of personality and Interests

The guy obviously loves America

So what's the real deal with the whole NK situation is what I have to ask?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Maybe he just gets REALLY bored and throws a hissy when NK isn't making the papers worldwide?

OR, the western MSM could just spin the heck out of stories that aren't really there. For example, Kim tells the US and other countries "i'm going to test my new rockets out next week, keep your eyes on the Pacific and we'll see how this one goes buddy!"....and then the whole situation is turned on it's head, perhaps to distract us from other not-so-savory potential news items that the American public doesn't need to know.

Just a theory i cooked up a minute ago.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Sometimes you just have to give the dog a bone to shut them up for awhile. For all we know, Bill Clinton also delivered some new virus to NK as a farewell gift.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by aleon1018
Sometimes you just have to give the dog a bone to shut them up for awhile. For all we know, Bill Clinton also delivered some new virus to NK as a farewell gift.

If Clinton did indeed deliver a virus to the population of NK, i would be willing to bet that it's venereal.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81

If Clinton did indeed deliver a virus to the population of NK, i would be willing to bet that it's venereal.

You don't mean: " Venerable?" Ok, maybe it is; " Oh, venerealable one"

[edit on 6-8-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

lmao!
Oh, i'm quite sure I got it right the first time

I like your suggestions though, clever indeed

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
reply to post by aleon1018

lmao!
Oh, i'm quite sure I got it right the first time

I like your suggestions though, clever indeed

Hillary did say that the dog Bud and Bill were very close for awhile. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
How long have they been away? They kept saying "President Clinton", instead of "former President Clinton"

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by drummerboyG

When I heard them say "President Clinton" I worryingly asked my wife what year we're in, just in case I woke up in the wrong year

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure they all have these titles as forner presidents.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure they all have these titles as forner presidents.

No. There can only be one president of the United States at any given time. All others are supposed to be called former presidents. I actually read that in some etiquette article awhile back.

Ah well,

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Apparently, than any reporter or other that doesn't say former has misspoke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join