It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

WASHINGTON – Health care legislation before Congress would allow a new government-sponsored insurance plan to cover abortions, a decision that would affect millions of women and recast federal policy on the divisive issue. Federal funds for abortions are now restricted to cases involving rape, incest or danger to the life of the mother. Abortion opponents say those restrictions should carry over to any health insurance sold through a new marketplace envisioned under the legislation, an exchange where people would choose private coverage or the public plan. Abortion rights supporters say that would have the effect of denying coverage for abortion to millions of women who now have it through workplace insurance and are expected to join the exchange. Advocates on both sides are preparing for a renewed battle over abortion, which could jeopardize political support for President Barack Obama's health care initiative aimed at covering nearly 50 million uninsured and restraining medical costs. The dispute could come to a head with House and Senate floor votes on abortion this fall, a prospect that many lawmakers would like to avoid.

news.yahoo.com...

They include this provision...and people will go flippin berzerk. Many people only support abortions if it's for rape and incest...but if it's any further than that....

WATCH OUT. People WILL get out the pitch forks with this one. No one is going to want to pay for others to abort babies....and what if they were late term?

Think about it.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by David9176]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
People are already going berserk they are just containing it really well right now.

Wait till it really heats up, what we are seeing right now are just the few bubbles popping up from the bottom of the pan we haven't even seen the full boil yet.

It's like our elected leaders forget they also represent the people that didn't vote for them. Madness.

I hate to say this, but we should not pay for abortions, the only abortions I support is rape, incest and the mothers life, I could see that, but they would have to come with strict policies, like a police report in the case of rape and incest.

Things are going to get bad.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

yeah...the abortion issue may be the breaking point. It's already a hot issue...it always has been.....but now we add that to the healthcare issue?

It's an atomic bomb and may very well be a disaster. Even those who support abortions...many would not have one themselves...and I'm guessing they would never want to actually PAY for others to have one...I know I wouldn't. I don't think most people would want that on their conscience.

They would have to omit abortions completely from being government run...except for rape and incest as you stated as I think the majority of people agree on that. Anymore though....it will be absolutely nasty.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Agreed.

This is the way I feel about it. I am pro-choice, as in you have the choice to keep it in your pants. If you go and get pregnant its your own fault deal with the consequences.

People will go absolutely bonkers. I can't even imagine it. I don't want my money going to abortions if they are not needed. That is for sure.

Isn't it interesting how Obama is setting up his "Ministry of Truth" right in time for all the nasty details to come out.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Yeah unfortunetly people are ignorant.

It's really too bad that Americans just don't understand that in order to be successfull, you will at once point have to pay for somebody else's crap.

It's just the way it is.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yeah unfortunetly people are ignorant.

It's really too bad that Americans just don't understand that in order to be successfull, you will at once point have to pay for somebody else's crap.

It's just the way it is.

~Keeper

Elaborate, please.

I would really like to know what you think we should pay for?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

This is the way I feel about it. I am pro-choice, as in you have the choice to keep it in your pants. If you go and get pregnant its your own fault deal with the consequences. People will go absolutely bonkers. I can't even imagine it. I don't want my money going to abortions if they are not needed. That is for sure.

I'll state this....

I could never look at my daughter and imagine not letting something so innocent, frail, and beautiful....not live...nor do I believe that I have the right to even decide her fate...nor anyone elses.

I just can't. I don't know how people's line of thought change on abortion after they have children...but if it doesn't have some kind of impact it would be hard to believe.

Life is precious...and should be treated as such....whether through abortions or war....it doesn't matter....

It's absolutely unacceptable for me to pay for other abortions and I refuse to do it...PERIOD.

OFFTOPIC... Wow where are all the replies? I'm surprised..especially with a topic such as this...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I'm personally against abortion and a strong advocate of taking responsibilityfor your actions. This provison in this bill does not surprise me in the least. It seems the overall theme these days is "let's everyone get together and pay for other people's mistakes" between the bank bailouts, the cash for clunkers (let taxpayers bail out gas guzzlers to a degree) and now lets have taxpayers pay to kill babies.

Here's a wild idea, maybe if people were taught more responsibility and your actions do have consequences maybe we wouldn't have to shell out blood money. If you're for abortion and such, then that's your choice and that's the great thing about America. I hope this thread doesn't devolve into a name calling agrument on the abortion issue itself. I'd like to see this topic stay on the issue of taxpayer money being used for abortions.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I completely understand. It's crazy.

reply to post by Kords21

And that is exactly what this is all about. It is feeding the mentality of dependency.

You made a mistake in your life? Don't worry big brother will look out for you. Wait a second though I have to down the street for a second I have to go pay a visit to Peter, be back in just a sec Paul.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm pro-choice and I don't support using tax payer money to fund abortions.

A: It's not my responsibility to provide birth control for anyone but those I
choose to (family, etc.)

B: There are people who are entirely opposed to abortions, and they should
have the right to make sure they aren't stuck paying for them. Their
opinions and objections are as valid as mine, and deserve as much respect.

Good find, David, S&F.

TA

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I hate abortion and I am of the opinion if You have one You should be denied social security when You get older because the one whom should have been paying for You was aborted by You.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I've been thinking about this one for a few minutes and I've come to the conclusion that it only makes sense to provide for abortions in this type of program: in the long run, it would be cheaper to pay for the abortion than to pay for the delivery of the child and all the subsequent medical expenses the child would incur throughout its life. So, of course they want to give out abortions at the American Tax Payer's expense. It may just be that my tinfoil hat is on a bit too tight, but this sounds a lot like population-control/eugenics.

TA

[edit on 5-8-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
So you guys wouldnt want to pay for abortion ....... would you rather pay for 18 years of medi-cal and food stamps ??

Just because these girls make a mistake should we toss them aside and let them " deal with it" ?? because it doesnt suit our moral picture of a perfect society ??

I would rather these girls be responsible and get put on birth control, ... maybe they should push birth control when a girl turns a certain age.... but abortion is a medical procedure, ... so it should be paid as such.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I am not a fan of abortions. To save the life of the mother? Then okay. It's up to the mother.Abortion as a birth control method? Not me or my wife would support this. Abortion as a resort to a rape? Okay. But I am still on the fence on this, because it isn't the baby's fault And I would support my wife if she chose to have this rape baby and we would raise it and nurture this baby. As a man, I can only imagine what goes through a woman's mind about being pregnant. I will defer to my wife's desires.
Her opinion is first in my mind. If she said, oh, I am pregnant and don't want to have a baby. Probably I would say, okay, god forgive me. But, when it comes down to it, it is my wife's decision. I learned that much over the years.
Government funding, fueled by taxes on everyone else? Hell, no. Unless she was raped or has a situation where she could die from having the baby. But, just because a woman finds it inconvenient to give birth? Pay for it yourself. And if you can't pay for it yourself, then you damn sure better give this baby a good life, which came from yours and another persons actions.
by the way, there are plenty of people who want to adopt. Yeah, they don't usually want a crack baby. I know, i will get criers who believe an unwanted baby should die. But, I say, a bit of government intervention, preferably societal intervention, to force people to be responsible for their creating a human life is a good thing.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

So you guys wouldnt want to pay for abortion ....... would you rather pay for 18 years of medi-cal and food stamps ??

No, if I had my way, we wouldn't be living in a welfare state in the first place.

Providing these types of entitlements is giving people a license to screw up and not take personal responsibility for their lives

TA

[edit on 5-8-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
A woman's choice should be WHEN not IF.

Unfortunately...that is where we are in birth control now. We are still at the IF and someday may give women a better choice of - WHEN.

Until then...

Until every child who needs a home has a home...

Until every child who is hungry is fed...

Until every child you call to protect...feels that protection once it enters this world...

Your calls for protection of the unborn....are the anguish of the born and STILL unwanted, unprotected and starving children of this world.

Defend THEM with as much vigor and pro-life has meaning. Until then.....pro-life, for me at least, is hypocritical.

When not if....someday.

Peace

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Just because these girls make a mistake should we toss them aside and let them " deal with it" ?? because it doesnt suit our moral picture of a perfect society ??

And this is your justification for tossing a baby aside who had no choice of dealing with it or not? I don't want to pay for that. There is no perfect society btw...and there never will be....but that doesn't mean I want to pay for people to abort babies. That's ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

That is exactly why we are in the position we are in. Hey if a 16 year old gets pregnant no big deal, big brother will give me a house and food and pay for the diapers and the works, then if I have another kid I get more cash, awesome.

Unfortunately the majority of people are stupid and have to learn the hard way, it isn't about a picture perfect society because it won't ever be, but when you pay people to breed that is exactly what they are going to do breed.

Then you get the one that are too selfish and it will mess up their party life so they go and get an abortion. The only way we will ever progress into a better world is when people wake up and start taking responsibility for their own decisions.

The fact is having people pay for abortions when they are against it is morally wrong and the S is bound to HTF. Just a matter of time.

We have tried the nanny state, it always fails. How about we try something different like personal responsibility.

Don't make people pay for abortions because it is morally wrong.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

It's absolutely unacceptable for me to pay for other abortions and I refuse to do it...PERIOD.

Your premiums to your private insurance company ALREADY pay for insured women who make this choice. I will assume then - tomorrow morning you will cancel your insurance and join the ranks of the millions of uninsured...by your own standards it is the only moral choice you can now make. Welcome aboard. The water is deep.

Blessings on your daughter...there are many more out there awaiting a loving home....warm food...and a safe bed tonight.

Peace

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

My health insurance doesn't pay for elective abortions. But that is what I get for having a choice in choosing my health insurance company.

Under the plan they are trying to shove down our throats, if this clause makes it in the bill, I eventually won't have a choice to choose my provider.

And save the guilt trips, it isn't getting you anywhere, it isn't my fault people are stupid and continue to breed, just the way life is, it isn't fair.

Do your part and practice what you preach, if you do then good for you, but don't shove your morality down my throat.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join