It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do the crime, pay for the time, as in $90 a day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

A one-night stay? Ninety dollars. Need to see a doctor? Ten bucks. Want toilet paper? Pay for it yourself. In the ever-widening search for extra income during desperate economic times, states across the nation are embracing a new idea: making inmates pay their debt to society not only in hard time, but also in cold, hard cash. In New York, GOP Assemblyman James Tedisco introduced a bill that would charge wealthy criminals $90 a day for room and board at state prisons. Dubbed the "Madoff Bill," after billion-dollar Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff, the legislation is designed to ease the $1 billion annual cost of incarcerating prisoners. "This concept says if you can afford it, or even some of it, you're going to help the beleaguered taxpayers who play by the rules," Tedisco said. Several other states and some cities have gone to great lengths to squeeze money from inmates.

Do the crime, pay for the time

I'm all for letting violent criminals and those who just plain took all our money pay a little of it back. On the flipside, however, our jails and prisons are full of people who got caught in our government's War on Drugs and just plain shouldn't be in prison. (Is it a T&C violation to say that - shouldn't be)

Our jails and prisons are overflowing. Cities are responsible for repaying at least half the cost to States to house children under 18 behind bars. Of course, with the state of our economy...prison may be a housing program.

Peace

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Love this idea. I fully agree they should have to pay for their time in jail, as opposed to taxpayers having to foot their entire bill.

As for the potentially-against-the-T&C comment you made, I agree with that one fully, but that's another (banned) topic in and of itself. For the current situation, if you're in jail, pay for it yourself! No sense in free room and board, regardless if it's in a prison cell or not.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Of course you should have to pay for being in jail, no just with time but also with money. I'd say it shouldn't be taken from you in lump sums but at least the same as the FED seizing your pay check, like 30% of your check a week. Why should I, a person that pays taxes and works have to pay for joe shmoe who shoots up, robs, and basically does nothing for the country. I say while thier at it abolish WELFARE. Then we'll be getting somewhere, cut off those loose ends.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Sounds good but this new program could result in corruption. Whose to say now that Judges are persuaded to convict defendents because of this? The state needs money so they tell judges "hand out tougher sentences, especially to more affluent citizens". Youve got to think about these scenarios before we get behind something like this.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I dont agree with it, .... your going to lock someone up against their will and then make them pay on top of that ??? nobody's going to pay that bill, .. if anything they should start a program allowing people to pay for every day they spend " out" of jail. Like electronic monitoring. Like was said before, .. if this bill passes, ... judges sentences will be affected by how much money the state needs, .. its not fair. And when someone goes to jail, it almost ruins them as it is, .. their most likely to lose their job, maybe even their apartment, if they rent. And your going to charge them money on top of that ?? ridiculous, ... I just dont agree on incarceration period.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Im going to play devils advocate here and for this I am sorry.

With that said if these people pay to be incrassated what would keep them from walking out? It’s like paying for a cruse and part of the way in to the cruse I want off at a port well hell I paid for the tickets why not just get off where and when I want? so if im paying the state to incarcerate me than why would I not have a right to say ok well im done paying now or better yet what is to stop them from just not working? If I were an inmate I would be in the shue(special housing unit, it is for the really bad guys.) all the time! And when your there you don't work or what is to be done to the inmates that are handicapped and can't work how are they to pay?

this is a good idea on paper in practice not so much it could corruption the like of which we have never seen before and it would cause riots bad bad riots.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
They work jobs that pay far below the minimum wage. So they are, basically, paying to stay.

Besides, the bill targets the "wealthy." Laws the punish the wealthy aren't going to pass. This would be like giving governments an incentive to incarcerate the wealthy.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

No. A thousand times no. This is the debtor's prison system, a system in which men and women were imprisoned for their debts and CHARGED for their time in prison, then rented out to various businesses as slave labor - at rates too low to cover their debt.

it's just as bad an idea today as it was then, especially since the penal system STILL penalizes the impoverished far more harshly than the wealthy.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
No, no and no again. This is the worst idea I have heard of in some time. Alot of people go to prison to be rehabilitated, they have enough of a problem finding a place to live and a job to become functional members of society again without giving up a high percentage of there paycheck if they do find a job for being locked up.

Besides that, I think alot of people are in jail for laws that should never have been on the books in the first place but my idealolidgy not withstanding there are at least 10 more sound arguments of why this is a very bad idea.

top topics

join