It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does it feel to be gay?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I really did not want to watch this, let alone post it here on ATS but I will.

It does not bother me that someone is gay. I can honestly say I don't approve of it.
To be honest I have made unpleasant remarks about same sex couples when friends/family are around as I'm sure some of you have.

After watching the video it looks like I'm in no position to be judging other people.

This may open some eyes, this may disgust you and others might not even care.

It just about 10 min of your time and a pretty good video to boot.

...have a watch

[edit on 5-8-2009 by TrainDispatcher]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

"To be honest I have made unpleasant remarks about same sex couples when friends/family are around as I'm sure some of you have."

...No. I have not. That's not an okay thing to do.

"I can honestly say I don't approve of it and I'm in no position to be judging other people."

So stop judging other people?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

"To be honest I have made unpleasant remarks about same sex couples when friends/family are around as I'm sure some of you have."

...No. I have not. That's not an okay thing to do.

"I can honestly say I don't approve of it and I'm in no position to be judging other people."

So stop judging other people?

Listen, I said "I'm sure SOME of you have"

After watching the video, I don't look like I am in any position to be judging.
I just didn't type that correctly.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrainDispatcher
I really did not want to watch this, let alone post it here on ATS but I will.

Not only do i believe you wanted to watch that you most certainly wanted to post it here. Obviously there are some issues you have.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I had preconceived notions on the video and turns out I was wrong. I posted this to share with you.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I think it was really rude for you to post this. I'm a bisexual female and can honestly say that I have NEVER had a problem with my sexuality. AT ALL. This is not an origins & creationism conspiracy. This is gay bashing.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
At first, I was anticipating a video with an anti-gay message.

But, it is instead a scenario of role-reversal. Rather than imagining being gay in a heterosexual world, it's the straight in a homosexual world. From this perspective, the heterosexual now gets to feel what it's like to be gay in this world.

Will their parents still love them?
Will they lose their friends?
Will they lose their job?
Will they lose their home?
Will someone attack them or kill them, just because of their sexuality?

The video itself is not offensive at all (unless one's homophobia renders someone incapable of participating in a What If? scenario).

Rather, I feel it allows someone to catch a glimpse growing up and living on "the other side."

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FreddyAuratus

That's all fine and dandy. The video is, IMO, not the problem.

But the OP posting it with the addition of "I don't approve of it" and "I say unpleasant remarks about same-sex couples" poses a little problem for me, personally.

Edit- I am editing this post to let everyone know that at the time I originally posted it, the OP had not yet explained that the video encouraged him to change his views. Thank you.

[edit on 8/6/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
you know what, I'm sorry I even posted this!!!

My intention was not to gay bash, but to inform and to show it opened my eyes.

I dont approve of obama, but I live with the people who voted for him. I dont bash them
I don't approve of

You know what, forget it.
My intentions were sincere and honest. Apparently I cant show that here.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Good lord people, he is saying , the video has changed his mind about how he acts. Its a good thing or at least he meant it as.. Uggh people love tiny word issues and semantics.

lets make it easy..
1) He used to think BAD
2) Saw Video..
3) No he changed his mind and thinks he is wrong for thinking bad.

YEAH!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Love is love.
NO ONE can change that.
Sex is just sex.
It is meaningless without love.
Just a mere physical interaction.
For every promiscuous homosexual, there are just as many heterosexuals.
"People are people, so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully" (DURAN DURAN)

While being homosexual, might be a turn off for many heterosexuals, it's not really anyone's concern, except the parties involved.
Straight people are not going to be infected with gayness.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
It does seem that there's a lot of profiling when it comes to these various groups. It's sad that there are people who have or know others who have had negative and traumatic issues about it and don't have closure...yet.

That aside, than there's other issues like personality disorders, schizophrenia etc. People usually confuse one thing with the other. Even these various groups have been said to have rejection issues with each other as well.

I don't go to bars or night clubs, so I don't think about that aspect of it. It takes all kinds and it's just not that simple.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Definitely. I found TrainDispatcher's opening statements to be off-putting as well. (Hence my belief this video was going to be bad.)

But it appears the video has made them reconsider their actions (if not opinions) towards gays and same sex couples. Correct me if I'm wrong. (I have a habit of being wrong a lot.
)

Edit: Perhaps if TrainDispatcher mentioned how they felt after watching the whole video, the on-going argument could have been avoided. (I don't mean to start a fight, I'm just saying...)

[edit on 5-8-2009 by FreddyAuratus]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FreddyAuratus

Seems like that, but that little detail was added in an edit.

It was a good video, of course. Now if we can make similar videos about all races, religions, and people with disabilities and physical differences.

Discrimination is wrong. Period.

[edit on 8/5/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Okay, I see the edit now. Darn things keep hiding from me!

Agreed, discrimination in all forms is wrong.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

UPFRONT PERSONAL DISCLOSURE!: I've had relations of all kinds with both traditional genders and also some not so traditional genders. I'm currently in a monogamous hetrosexual relationship of over 5yrs.

Explanation: Starred and Flagged!

I'm a little concerned about the bashing of the OP for revealing their prior bigotry when they clearly repent for holding such a POV prior to recalibrating themselves under the tuition of the vid that they provide. Even I have had occasion to unfairly pigeonhole demographics that I have had a personal problem with and I see no pure saints amonst us currently [totally open to having my ignorance denied here
]. Fortunately we can all change our ways and our POV!

Personal Disclosure: Watching the vid ASAP!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

kudos to you! sometimes it can be difficult not only to get over our bigitry, but to get over it in a way we can explain it. ignore the nonsense and keep on the right path. i used to be anti-gay in a very non-violent way, just avoided gay people for the most part. then one day my sister approached me and asked if she could tell me something that she's been holding back from me for many years. wanna' guess what that was?
i felt horrible that she held this from me for so long, based only on the fact that she was afraid i would not be able to accept this information, and might avoid her also.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I don't see why people are complaining here.

I don't know what is going on in the video (no subtitles) but I can understand generally.

From what I gathered: the OP was anti-homosexual or didn't approve of homosexuality until he/she saw this video.

Now he changed his mind (or is not so sure of his position anymore).

That is a good start!!!

So why the complaining? This is exactly what we have been working so hard to get people to understand!

Small baby step!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I don't see why people are even having this debate.

The title should be how does it feel to be human. I'm gay, and I don't consider myself "different" from anybody else just because of my sexual orientation.

We need to stop dividing people with silly notions such as this one. This video only further's that end.

Even though it was done in good faith.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I havent watched the video because i cant right now. Youtube is blocked at work so i will watch it later when i can but i did want to reply to what all has been said.
I also have hated gay people in the past. I mean hated them. Not just said some off colored comments around family members etc etc. I know where this person is coming from saying that because i refuse to believe for one second that there is one individual on this planet who hasent gotten pissed off or just for whatever reason doesnt like someone for some particular reason and made comments regarding it. It doesnt have to be cutting someone down for their race or religion or sexual preference. It can be one of any million other stereotypes and we all have done it at some point in our lives. It may have been once or 1000 times but we all do it. Its human to judge people. I love hearing people claim they dont judge yet even you who think that have judged the person who posted this thread.
Its not that we judge everything or everyone around us that makes us bad, its how harshly or unfairly we judge that makes us good or bad in respect to this.
I have judged people so very harshly in my life. I have had my reasons in some cases and in others no reason at all. Whatever a persons reasons for feeling the way they do is theirs. Personally i think if you can live with yourself and have a free concious about what you believe in then so be it. It isnt for me to say your wrong even if your a racist or sexist. Its your life, your soul and your own life that has to be weighed and balanced and if you like the balance you have then so be it.
I on the other hand found out something about myself and about other people. I found out that everything i claimed to believe in was in contradiction to how i treated people. Example: i claim to be christian yet i didnt know the meaning of the word because i used to hate gays, i didnt like blacks, never trusted mexicans etc etc. One day my eyes were opened. I wont go into how this change happened lets just say it did and move on. Now i dont judge people so harshly as i used to. I have gay friends, my girlfriend is jewish and has a black daughter from her previous marriage. I have found that there i sso much good and evil in everyone and i no longer look for the outward things as a basis for how i feel about someone. One of my best friends is a gay man and he is very kewl to be around. I dont get worried he is going to make me gay or anything. Basically i just grew up and i try to love everyone unless they give me a reason to not. I also do not necessarily agree with homosexuality but as god spoke to me in my heart and reminded me that his son did not come to swing a fist neither should i. As a christian i must judge things to know if they are right or wrong according to my faith. We all do. I mean if you got wind that your neighbor had been arrested for child molesting years ago i dare say your not gonna just let bobby and suzy go play at his house even if you found out he didnt get convicted. Your still going to be human and judge what YOU think is right and wrong according to your ideals. So dont be so harsh when someone has the guts to admit what they believe in even if it is against homosexuality. I hate that we live in a society that is now demonizing people for thinking its wrong. He has that right but it sounds like he has finally awaken to the idea that regardless of if people do things you dont approve of for yourself they are still human beings apart of this world just as we all are and thye deserve respect and love.
Hell i think trying to respect and love someone who is everything opposite you are is the hardest thing to do. Its easy to love and respect people who are just like us. The challenge comes in when our way of life and ideals are put to the test. Its shows just what type of character we have.
I didnt have much when i was younger. I just thank god i learned something along the way before i leave this world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join