Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

State Mandates & Health Insurance: Find out what you're paying for (and don't need)

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I found this pretty interesting. The author outlines how state mandates are one of the major factors in the (sometimes) high cost of health insurance.

State mandates on health insurance are a major factor in the high cost of coverage. I did some research to find out what I'm paying for (and don't want or need):

State: Maryland
Cost of Coverage: about $500/month

Here are just a few of the dozens of things I'm paying for:

In-Vitro Fertilization - accounts for 3-5% of my premium
Morbid Obesity Treatment - accounts for 1-3% of my premium
Smoking Cessation - accounts for 1-3% of my premium
Well Child Care - accounts for 1-3% of my premium
Alcoholism/Substance Abuse - accounts for 1-3% of my premium
Hair Prosthesis - accounts for 1% of my premium

I'm not morbidly obese, I don't smoke, I don't have kids (nor am I looking to get pregnant any time soon, sorry mom!), and I'm pretty sure I don't need rehab.

If I tally it up, these items are responsible for up to 18% of my premium. That's almost $100/month I'm paying for coverage I absolutely do not want or need.

I also learned that there are nearly 2,133 mandates like these, which are responsible for group health insurance premium increases of 20 to 50 percent.
source

J.P. Wieske, director of state affairs for the Council for Affordable Health Insurance (CAHI), says "For state legislators, [mandates are] used as a special interest tool to reward lobbyists with a specific mandate and let someone else pay for it"

Regulation of the insurance industry is driving up cost more than anything, don't be duped into believing that the "reform" currently being proposed is going to help anything.

TA

[edit on 5-8-2009 by TheAssociate]

[edit on 5-8-2009 by TheAssociate]

new topics

join