It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Fines & Harassment For People Who Refuse To Answer Intrusive Survey Questions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

(1) Fraud A person over 18 years of age who willfully gives an answer that is false to a question, which is authorized by the Secretary to be submitted to the person in connection with a census under this section, shall be fined not more than $500.

I think that probably applies to all government surveys. I know it sounds fun to jerk these people around, but I wouldn't recommend doing so.

If you end up on the receiving end of one of these little invasions of privacy, the best thing to do is probably call their bluff and refuse to answer.

As one poster pointed out, they haven't actually fined anyone yet, they've only stated their intent to do so.

TA

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
If this survey was anonymous then I see no problem other than it should be voluntary and not punishable under law.

That its not, is certainly cause for worry, this is equivalent to a bully mentality perform this ridiculous demand or ill beat you up or in this case make you go to court.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

it should be voluntary and not punishable under law...That its not, is certainly cause for worry

Exactly. This is just another example of how we're becoming a surveillance society. The government wants to know everything there is to know about everyone, and frankly, I'm sick of it. It's just not any of their business, no matter how many times they say it is.

TA

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Did anyone read this part?

However, it’s all hot air as no one has ever been charged with a crime for refusing to answer the ACS survey, and indeed several members of Congress have denounced the invasive questions as a violation of the Right to Financial Privacy Act.

On its very face, this is also a flagrant violation of the 5th amendment. Any census form that goes beyond asking how many people live in the residence is a violation of the 5th amendment, and court cases have established this, yet the census becomes more and more invasive each time.

www.blacklistednews.com...

This definitely an issue that concerned citizens should be discussing with their legislators.

If demanding this information under the penalty of law is unconstitutional, then it should stop.

Oh, just a reminder to all to clean house in 2010.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Here is a link to the actual questionnaire (PDF). It's fourteen pages long and the questions are very "thorough." Personally, I wouldn't answer most of what's asked, but I'm a very private person and tend to mistrust the government.

TA

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
Their is another way one can handle this questionnaire.

Have fun with it.

IF they ask if you have flushing toilets do not check yes or no but instead write in your answer as "ELVIS".

If they ask what the remaining balance of your mortgage is write in "MONTANA"

If asked how many cars you own respond with "PineCone"

Do you see where I am going with this?

They ask for answers to their questions. Their is no rule that says your answers must by logical or even relevant to the questions. When expected to answer to the best of your abilities AFFIRM that you DID.... to the best of your abilities.

Not only can you have an Extreme amount of fun, but you can also throw a monkey wrench into the system at the same time

I like the style!

Some friends and I did this a few years ago with the British Census and creatively vandalised the form with all manner of insanity, and we even got a letter back (addressed to the cat) from the regional office thanking us for a highly entertaining read, and that our form had been unanimously voted by the office staff as the craziest they had ever read!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

If demanding this information under the penalty of law is unconstitutional, then it should stop.

The constitutionality of this is, at the very best, questionable. But in order for it to be reviewed, someone is first going to have to stand up to these people, say 'no', get fined, and appeal the case. Until that happens, I don't really see the government going to any sort of trouble to stop this kind of thing.

If demanding this information under the penalty of law is unconstitutional, then it should stop. Oh, just a reminder to all to clean house in 2010.

and

TA

MBF

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
A few years ago, I got a letter from the social security office that stated that I had turned in 49 incorrect ss numbers for employees and would be fined $50,000 for each one that I did not correct. I was using Mexicans at the time and had even made copies of the cards that they had given to me. I threw it in the garbage. My father said that they are going to throw you in jail for that and I told him that I would like to see them get $50,000 for each wrong number out of me. The letter stated that I had to provide the correct ss number, but I could not force the employee to show me a social security card. I did all that I could to provide the correct number, but my hands were tied. I know another farmer that they went after so he told them to be at his farm in the morning. He got each Mexican to show the social security man their documentation. The man told the farmer that he knew that some of the documentation was forged, but he didn't know what was real and what was faked. The farmer told him that that was their job to know what was real, not his, all he wanted to do was gather his crops.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
oh god my absolute worst fear is coming true......
someone i may or may not know could potentially be forced to fill out a survey!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

i would ask them to show me the law that states I have to participate in this survey.
I bet thatyl take a while.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
This survey is rather silly regarding to the fact it's ILLEGAL not to fill it out. Although, just take the damn thing. They're not asking about your sex life or anything.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

LOL, I never get how the British just roll over, stick their butts in the air, and let the government have their way with them without any protest.

They like getting their bums switched, dontshaknow? The queen with a birch branch just seems to turn them on.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
heres a small hint . make it all up. they wont know the diffrence and besides if they complain all you have to say is " well the government lies to me so i'm returning the favour".

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
heres a small hint . make it all up. they wont know the diffrence and besides if they complain all you have to say is " well the government lies to me so i'm returning the favour".

Right! And if we follow your "hint" and get fined, you'll pay? Here is my hint, don't give empty advise.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

That would not bother me.Just give them false infomation all the time.That will confruse them.Yes we have ten children and four hummers in the gararge.We have six boats and all our four houses are paid for.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by GORGANTHIUM]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GORGANTHIUM

I agree that it's not the biggest possible intrusion into our privacy they could pull, but an intrusion is an intrusion and lately, it seems like we're seeing more and more of them. If we don't stand up to them now, while the invasions of privacy are still small, the government will only get more brazen in their attempt to monitor us all.

TA

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
You Gotta check out his site it's Great, full of info. and commenaries from all walks of life. Ron Paul included.

www.checkpointusa.org...

Here is a taste:

"The U.S. Census Bureau's
American Community (Survey) Interrogation

Defective, dependent, or delinquent...

After being delayed several years due to budget shortfalls, one of the largest invasions of our privacy is now in full swing, compliments of the U.S. Census Bureau and a cadre of Department of Commerce corporate partners. In the past, the American people only had to put up with this unconstitutional nonsense once every ten years. A time frame frequent enough to be annoying but not frequent enough to evoke formal resistance. With the advent of the misnomered American Community Survey however, circumstance have changed dramatically. U.S. Census bureaucrats have somehow misinterpreted clear constitutional guidance regarding a simple head count once every 10 years for representation purposes as a mandate to invade America's privacy on a recurring monthly basis.

Below you will find a discussion of this unconstitutional program along with links to commentaries, news articles, corporate involvement, and government documentation that highlight this newest invasion of our homes and privacy along with general information regarding the decennial census.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

250,000 homes are now being targeted every month by the Census Bureau and its corporate lackeys to comply, under threat of prosecution, with a survey demanding answers to over 70 privacy invading questions. Questions, that as Congressman Ron Paul and others have pointed out, are none of the government's business.

This new program will cost taxpayers well over $150,000,000 a year and is envisioned by Census Bureau personnel as a permanent fixture to the new American police state. It was developed and implemented by unelected career bureaucrats at the Department of Commerce in close consultation with other government interests including but not limited to the Department of Justice, Health and Human Services and Homeland Security. In addition, the Census Bureau relies heavily on strong support from corporate interests to collect, scan, archive, and conduct follow-up work related to surveys unwittingly filled out by individuals under the false pretense that their responses will be kept 'strictly confidential'.

Indeed, the Census Bureau and its contracted help will all tell you that your responses are protected by statute and any unauthorized disclosure is punishable by severe fines and prison time. What they don't tell you is that the number of 'authorized' disclosures is expansive and corporations and individuals working with the Census Bureau have unfettered access to your personal information while under contract with the Bureau. You also wont find a list of individuals or organizations that have been prosecuted or sanctioned by the federal government for disclosing your personal information. After all, when the chief executive officer of the country can thumb his nose at the Constitution and federal statutes with impunity in order to spy on American citizens, it's no great leap of logic to realize so-called census privacy protections are in reality non-existent."(continued

also...
Civics Lessons in the Census "The first civics lesson of the census is that privacy is of little concern to political elites; your personal business is their business. The second lesson is proclaimed loudly by the Census Bureau. The information is necessary so political elites can redistribute wealth and limit liberty according to their vision of a 'good' society" The Cato Institute

Lockheed Martin Awarded $500 Million Contract To Implement System For 2010 U.S. Census The U.S. Census Bureau continues its practice of subcontracting to commercial third parties to gather personal information from Census takers in 2010 Lockheed Martin

Stop the “American Community Survey” An online petition:
"A call to end the 'American Community Survey' and restrict the Census Bureau to its original purpose ..."
Unk

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Great info, azureskys, thanks for posting. Somehow I don't find it surprising that Lockheed Martin are involved in this.

"The first civics lesson of the census is that privacy is of little concern to political elites; your personal business is their business.

That rings true. These people don't give a damn about privacy, They want all the information they can gather and they want it yesterday.

TA

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
First, the excerpts listed above are accurate. A friend of mine received one in the mail and flipped out over the questions being asked. Wanting to know when you leave for work and what route you take when you are a single female living alone is NOT information she wanted to share.

Second thing you need to know is, Obama moved this census so that it now falls under HIS regulation and power, which means he can legally ask these questions and require they be answered, where it was illegal under the other dept.

Thirdly, we have the right to plead the 5th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution in ANY situation. If they try to tell you differently, contact the ACLU (if you haven't been arrested).

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Nivcharah

Great info, Nivcharah, thanks for replying and confirming this.

Thirdly, we have the right to plead the 5th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution in ANY situation. If they try to tell you differently, contact the ACLU (if you haven't been arrested).

Yes, never forget we are still protected by the Fifth Amendment. I know a lot of people don't like the ACLU, but they can be your friend in situations like this. Stellar advice, thanks again for replying.

TA

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join