It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Parents send kids to Camp to test DNA & Talents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Mods I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, feel free to move accordingly. Thanks.

Here's a Video I stumbled upon at the CNN website:
www.cnn.com...#/video/world/2009/08/04/chang.china.genetic.gifts.cnn

Apparently in China some parents are sending their kids to Camp to get their DNA tested so they can figure out what the kids talents are and raise them accordingly.

I want to ask the question whether you think this is right or not?

I personally think this is horrible. Is this what Humanity really has to look forward too?
Everyone taking DNA tests so they can be brainwashed into a career that fits their talents. Shouldn't a child discover his or her talents and interests on their own accord? Just because a person has a talent doesn't mean they're interested in it. They may have a high IQ and be fitted for science, but actually love doing something else like painting or writing. I just don't think this is right, let the kids live for Gods sake and quit trying to profit from their gifts

[edit on 5-8-2009 by asmall89]

[edit on 5-8-2009 by asmall89]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

This reminds me of the movie Gattaca, which I love. I think you should rent it to get a better idea of where this kind of testing and pre-determination is going. A couple had a pair of kids, the oldest one was natural born and the other was "enhanced" through science. I don't want to give away too much but the message is clear, the human spirit can't be measured and has no limits.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mvirata

Oh yeah I think I've seen parts of that movie, wasn't it Matt Damon in that?

Anyway yeah I couldn't agree more, the human spirit and passion is something genetics cannot program into a person or replicate.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

This was sort of the plot of Gundam SEED Destiny.. The main bad guy had a project to set for enitre humanity.. that would assign people employment based on what their genetic talents. He believed that war would end this way... and society would thrive as a whole.

But.. I don't think its fair to the child. It should always be what they want to be, and not what they are best at.. However as a psychology instructor of mine once told us.. that in asian culture, it's not about what you want, its about honoring your parents wishes.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
imo if your dumb enough to belive dna testing can predict teh future of your child accuratly enough to plan accordingly and force a kid down that path you should not have kids at all.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think it's a novel idea, and perhaps it could work.

On the other hand, I don't give a rats ass what Chinese parents, or any other parent, does with their kids. It's none of my business, and frankly I just don't care at all.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I don't see this as "damaging" a child in the least. It is a far better approach than the "teach to the average child" approach used in the United States. We do everything EXCEPT teach towards a child's talents and gifts. This is one of the reason so many children feel like they don't fit in - how could they - there is no such thing as average.

Every child has a unique gift or talent. Teaching towards that gift in an additional individualized study program vs. a general study hall where children do more of the same is a sound approach. Allowing children to gain knowledge in an area of talent is what education should be - sadly though - it is not what it is now.

Let their little lights shine - each has their own.

Peace

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

I see your point, and I have fell victim to that myself... I am a composer but it seems like wherever I go I don't get the instruction I wish. I have learned that it is something I must learn to do on my own accord.

The way I find this thought idea bad is the way that it makes children slaves to their parents wishes. I know parents generally are trying to look out for their child's interests but sometimes they put too much pressure on them, or hold them back. Every child holds a talent and gift, you are right, but why not let them discover it on their own accord? Or how about letting them do whatever interests them? Just because someone has a talent in something does not mean they wish a career in said talent.

For example, I was a very promising Trombone player in middle school. My parents were very proud of me and wanted me to continue with it and work harder, because it was my "gift". I felt smothered by them (and still do somewhat) and lost interest in music for a long time. See I had found an infatuation with writing music instead. I prefer writing the music rather than performing it. My parents didn't see that composing was my passion, not performing. I may be a better performer, but I love composing. You see what I'm saying here?

It's not that Music was my only talent either, I was good at math as a kid (not any more though!), I am a fair writer, and a decent film maker. I'm curious what they would have found in my DNA, if it would correspond to any of that.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by asmall89]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmall89
reply to post by mvirata

Oh yeah I think I've seen parts of that movie, wasn't it Matt Damon in that?

Anyway yeah I couldn't agree more, the human spirit and passion is something genetics cannot program into a person or replicate.

It's Ethan Hawke, Gweneth Paltrow and Jude Law. I'm going to have to rewatch it over the weekeend. The entire movie is on you tube so if you have some time you should see it.

Gattaca

I never stated my actual opinion. I do think it's good to have but by no means do I think that your path should be forced upon you. A bad parent is going to be a bad parent whether or not DNA testing is done. A parent who overworks their children at a young age (i.e. Joe Jackson) and physically or emotionally abuses them is going to do it no matter what.

Even specialized high school education institutions are still required by law to learn all subjects. So a student that goes to a technology high school can still come out being an artist, a basketball player, or flight instructor even if he a naturally gifted scientist.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mvirata

True, parents don't need DNA tests to determine their kids talents, and push them in a direction. I mean I don't think it's bad that you can find out what your DNA says about you, but I'm really against the idea that you should have your life planned out based on what your DNA says your talents are. It should be what your interested in.

top topics

join