It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Quakers vote for Gay marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
www.quaker.org.uk...

Britain's Quakers have become the first major Christian church in the UK to support gay marriage. At their annual gathering in York yesterday, the Society of Friends called on the government to change the law to extend marriage rights to same-sex couples and determined that their marriage ceremony should be available to those couples. The official minute of the decision is below the fold.

Ireland's Quakers are an autonomous organisation and are not bound by the British Quakers' decision, but may consider that decision in forming their own attitude to marriage law and practice.

The Quaker decision comes at the end of Belfast's annual Pride celebrations. Within the next hour, thousands of members of the GLBT community, along with friends, family and supporters, will parade through the centre of Belfast. When they reach City Hall, they will parade past a group of conservative Christians protesting against the Pride celebration. Last year, most of Northern Ireland's political parties were represented on the Pride parade, and this year even more politicians are expected to walk in solidarity with the gay community. Some pro-gay clergy walked as part of the last parade; we'll soon see if there's an increase in the number of clerical collars in this year's procession.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Good for them...

Finally some sense in the Christian (religious) community....

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by orangeman dave

Love is Love and some christians are beginning to realize this. Will it gain traction? Who knows. But it's good to see some progress.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I am not sure about the British Quakers, but American Quakers (at least the Friends General Conference, the largest American Quaker group) would not self-identify as Christian. Their roots, from George Fox, are Christian, but they have become much more open-minded regarding spiritual paths than the founder ever was.

Peace,
Daniel

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pdpayne0418

I don't know a lot about them Daniel it was just a link i came across, i don't have an opinion on it, i was just want to see the reaction for the pros and cons.

Regards David

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
the Quakers seem to be a pretty chilled bunch, with a live and let live attitude. I hope the homosexual community will finally find someway of gaining more equality in society. I really cant see any bad thing in a more equal society for all.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Good for them! Its nobody's business who someone falls in love with except the ones in love.

top topics

join