It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge raises questions in NC terror prosecution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Judge raises questions in NC terror prosecution

www.google.com

RALEIGH, N.C. — A federal judge ordered six North Carolina men accused of plotting holy war to remain in custody Wednesday but raised scathing questions about the strength of the case federal prosecutors are pushing.

In presenting evidence, authorities had relied heavily on secret audio recordings and the statements of an unnamed witness.

He pointed out the prosecutor's argument that the suspects were sometimes talking in code, with Hysen Sherifi once talking about "going to the beach." Prosecutors argued that the "beach" really meant violent jihad.

Webb balked at
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Yes. You heard that right. Stating going to the beach really meant violent jihad. Not only that but they have a secret witness that they aren't willing to name that confirms that in fact "beach" means jihad. Thankfully, we have some smart judges that have common sense. You have to bring a bit more to the table when trying to prosecute someone for terrorism.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Ooooh, that's scary - they have ammunition!! As if it could come out of a gun more than one round at a time. NO explosives, nothing too dangerous or illegal for that matter.

I think they found some white guys who converted to islam and the'yre out to teach a lesson to any other potential converts.

I smell a setup.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

It certainly seems that way in the absence of further evidence.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
An update on this story:

www.google.com...

Authorities claim the group, including an eighth suspect believed to be in Pakistan, were gearing up for a "violent jihad," though prosecutors haven't detailed any specific targets or timeframe.

Federal Agents seized the following materials:

• $14,000 cash
  • Newspaper clippings of September 11 attacks
  • 27,000 rounds of ammunition
  • Several rifles, and at least one AK 47
  • Several pre-paid cell phones
  • Military Manuals
  • "Militant Documents" aka extremist religious text

Okay, I think there is a reason to investigate these guys, keep an eye on them, monitor them. But, is this what defines someone about to commit a terrorist act? I think they overreacted here on this case. Are the weapons registered? Since when is downloading Military Manuals illegal? This information is available anywhere online. Is it illegal to view or have in your possession extreme religious text? Certainly it could add to a case if someone every prosecuted you, but the mere possession of it isn't illegal. Pre-paid cell phones? Walmart has tons of them on the shelf. $14,000 cash split between 8 people is less than 2 grand a piece.

I see a reason why maybe watching these guys a little more, would be warranted. They really overreacted on this one though, unless they can show more.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
After the bronx synagogue and sear towers bombers fiasco that were initiated, propagated , planned and perpetrated by the FBI and just found some patsy to fit up with the crime , what's the bet all that $14,000 , armaments and assorted evidence didn't come out of an fbi store house.

join