It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds Of ISPs Refuse To Go Along With Big Brother Spy System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

A group of over 300 internet service providers and telecommunications firms is fighting back against the British government’s plans to monitor all emails, phone calls and internet activity nationwide.

The London Internet Exchange (LINX), which represents some 330 companies, including BT, Virgin and Carphone Warehouse, says that the government is misleading the public about the extent to which it plans to monitor their communications and internet activity.

LINX has described the Government’s surveillance proposals as an “unwarranted” invasion of people’s privacy.

A statement from the group to the Home Office reads:

“We view the description of the Government’s proposals as maintaining the capability as disingenuous – the volume of data the Government now proposes we should collect and retain will be unprecedented.”

“This is a purely political description that serves only to win consent by hiding the extent of the proposed extension of powers for the state.”
www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Good for the britts here in the states we wont have a choice.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Good for them! Fight back!

It makes me wonder if starting an internet business based in some country where such laws did not exist would catch on. I could imagine people paying for an internet service that they knew was private, even if it cost a little more or was a little slower. Maybe such things already exist? I haven't really looked into it.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I wonder about this... is it real, or is it some kind of propaganda to misdirect our attention from something else?

I don't want to sound excessively paranoid. I just find myself uneasy when there is a well-publicized supposed victory against big government. I always wonder - is it to distract us from something more important? Are they "throwing us a bone", to make us happy while they do something even more evil? How is it that, all of a sudden, some ISP's grow a backbone and stand up to big government?

I'm thinking that maybe big government no longer needs the cooperation of th ISP's to accomplish their eavesdropping, so they allow the ISP's to claim a victory. Maybe it's just a paranoid fantasy... but I *really* distrust good news coming from the MSM.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
As if all of these ISP's are innocently not monitoring their own customers. Before they start fighting for privacy they need to learn how to practice what they preach.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Way to go England! I wish I could say the same for the US

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wizardwars
Good for the britts here in the states we wont have a choice.

Yeah even here in the states most ppl do not know how bad it has become.

en.wikipedia.org...

That pretty spells it out, and says all ppl, even grandma is being
monitored and if trigger words or msgs are sent over phone, email,
chat or any other means the call is kept for 1st computer analysis,
then second level human analysis if warranted.

Orwell was a prophet.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Shoomoo

The UK is the worlds number one surveillance society - there are literally hundreds of cameras per person - they even have microphones and speakers so that they can speak to you and tell you to do stuff remotely - it is BRAVE NEW WORLD GONE MAD!!

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I still say the US was behind all the cables in the ocean breaking and being cut. Then they put in splicers and all comunication is taped.

Conspiracy theories emerge after internet cables cut

Is information warfare to blame for the damage to underwater internet cables that has interrupted internet service to millions of people in India and Egypt, or is it just a series of accidents?

When two cables in the Mediterranean were severed last week, it was put down to a mishap with a stray anchor.

Now a third cable has been cut, this time near Dubai. That, along with new evidence that ships' anchors are not to blame, has sparked theories about more sinister forces that could be at work.

For all the power of modern computing and satellites, most of the world's communications still rely on submarine cables to cross oceans.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
lol it's far from no choice in the USA

Fights just getting started kids

Media Giants will fall, people just like you and I will get rich.

Throw all support financially behind any company that supports your rights best, send the message, be aware.

Most important thing has yet to come... demand your local providers push for and release the Uber High Bandwidth on Fiber...

It's already there in many places...

Demand 80 Mb a second...

It's the giant killer, it's what ends the MSM once and for all and makes anyone a network that wishes to be.

This is our fight, this is where we win, there is no traditional economy, the Internet is a worldwide open market.

The media giants will pour every penny into trying to shut down and take control and new companies will rise, companies run by us.

Support those who understand the Internet and Bankrupt TPTB in a vain attempt to stop us.

Internet banks will survive the fall

This is a massive shift... this is agriculture vs Industry all over again, whatever goes on out your window this is all that matters...

Everything else is distraction from the real issue, massive economic shift away from TPTB

Into our hands

Be Smart, don't despair... there is no better time to prosper than during chaos

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I've always said if they go through with this intend to email gigantic dummy files between accounts and cost them a few new hard drives a day.

I feel its impossible to keep a copy of what the British governments wants if anything it could send the ISPs out of business they really have no choice but to oppose this.

Besides that the existence of ssl proxys makes the whole thing rather silly.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
I wonder about this... is it real, or is it some kind of propaganda to misdirect our attention from something else?

I don't want to sound excessively paranoid. I just find myself uneasy when there is a well-publicized supposed victory against big government. I always wonder - is it to distract us from something more important? Are they "throwing us a bone", to make us happy while they do something even more evil? How is it that, all of a sudden, some ISP's grow a backbone and stand up to big government?

I'm thinking that maybe big government no longer needs the cooperation of th ISP's to accomplish their eavesdropping, so they allow the ISP's to claim a victory. Maybe it's just a paranoid fantasy... but I *really* distrust good news coming from the MSM.

That is exactly the first thing I thought when I read the OP.

I'm pretty sure, almost convinced, that the government already has the capabilities to monitor our communications and has been doing for years.

Echelon has been around for decades. NSA/GCHQ can already read intercept our SMS/phone/mobile/internet and email traffic.

Is the government trying to distract our attention while something else goes on?

Edit: Okay I've just read the full article (I didn't at first) and to me it just sounds like Echelon. The only difference is that its being made public, as I've said Echelon has been known about for years.

Now, the joe public will know about it too.

[edit on 7/8/09 by Death_Kron]

new topics

top topics

join