It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Orders Three Jets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

"Last year, lawmakers excoriated the CEOs of the Big Three automakers for traveling to Washington, D.C., by private jet to attend a hearing about a possible bailout of their companies," Roll Call reports. "But apparently Congress is not philosophically averse to private air travel: At the end of July, the House approved nearly $200 million for the Air Force to buy three elite Gulfstream jets for ferrying top government officials and Members of Congress."The Air Force had asked for one jet as part of an upgrade program, but the House Appropriations Committee added two more at its own discretion

Wait a minute. We're in one of the worst financial crises in history and we have money to buy two new jets for the crooks on the hill?

Hypocrites to the extreme. I thought we were all supposed to be tightening our belts? Another example of "do as I say, not as I do".

Make due with what you have! The average American citizen is. Do we really need to spend $200 million right now so they can fly around in luxury? Really????

From what I've read, most of them have canceled future town hall meetings because they can't take the heat, so where is it they need to go that warrants two new jets? I really want to know.

www.newscred.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
They have to.

When you have members of the House of Representatives and the Senate who are on the TSA/FAA No-Fly List what do you do? What do you do?

Actually, I have a lot more respect for our Representatives and Senators that fly public transit, and don't even go First-Class, but choose Coach or Business Class.

However, it seems that our government representatives no longer consider themselves "of the people" and would rather not brush shoulders with us lesser Plebians.

Or perhaps they don't think Commercial Airlines are safe enough? That's quite the vote of no confidence, don't you think?

Regardless, in these tough Economic times, it does seem overly excessive. Has anyone informed the House that this isn't the 1980's anymore?

At the very least, one has to applaud them from buying Aircraft built in America, and choosing to buy from another Government Agency, keeping these dollars at home and helping the American Economy.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

From what I've read, most of them have canceled future town hall meetings because they can't take the heat, so where is it they need to go that warrants two new jets?

Pretty sad when are elected officials rather label protesters rather than listen to them.

Pretty simple solution IMO. Hold the meetings, listen to concerns, and answer the questions.

Of course, it is pretty hard for them to answer questions when they haven't even read the bill.

I am sure not reading the bills is the reason they have 3 jets.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Well.....considering that there's a huge public outcry against just about everything they're doing, informing them this isn't the 1980's would be like screaming into the wind.

They should have to fly commercial. Practice what you preach and all that.

They're in dire need of a reality check honestly. They do believe that they're on a whole other playing field than us worker ants. We pay their salaries only to have them look down their noses at us.

Telling us to sacrifice and tighten our belts while they constantly have their hands out.
Absolutely maddening.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I am sure not reading the bills is the reason they have 3 jets.

Yep...that's a pretty safe bet. But don't you dare question them on that. They're infinitely more knowledgable than we are. If they say we need to spend $200 million on two new jets for them in the midst of a financial crisis, who are we to doubt them?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
These are likely private SHTF jets. While the main air transportation system is grounded as the # splatters across the country, these guys will board these private jets to their deep underground bases while the 'profane' proletariat suffer.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by soldiermom

Congress and this administration remind me of a guy who is about to go bankrupt that just received a "YOU ARE ALREADY APPROVED" credit card in the mail. I guess if you are going down you might as well go down in style.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

That's a great analogy. Spend, spend, spend and then make a run for it, all the while telling the American people that everything is fine. They're masters at talking out of both sides of their mouth's.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Well in all honesty if you look at our nations finances we are pretty much bankrupt. So I assume what they are doing is buying as much crap as they can with borrowed money and then when nobody will loan them anymore they will just say see you later biatches and we will have a bunch of free stuff. How is that for being responsible?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

A while back I would've thought a statement like this was a little farfetched. Not anymore. It's plain to see that they look out for themselves before any of their constituents.

As hard as I try, I cannot seem to wrap my mind around the fact that they do things like this and still keep getting elected.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

This is why they are brilliant. They keep getting reelected because they keep telling everyone they will solve all of their life problems. That is a pretty good job of deflection coming from the guys that are the problem.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I don't think it's because their brilliant. They keep getting re-elected because a large portion of our nation's voters are not. They're too lazy to research the candidates and prefer to instead listen to the hollow promises they make. And believe them!

In situations like the purchase of these jets, they should be outraged. I've read a lot of posts claiming that the American people are too caught up in reality tv and social networking and all the rest to pay attention to how their tax dollars are being spent. It's true I guess. Sad but true.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
But people have to make those jets. If they stop buying then more people would be out of work.

Life itself, and most everything in it, is a catch-22

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Well I stand corrected. You are correct that the problem is that we have a country that is more than half full of lazy, stupid people who will vote for anyone who promises to hand them anything.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

I'm fairly certiain those companies wouldn't go out of business if the federal govt. didn't buy those two jets. The govt. is not their only customer.

It's unnecessary spending at this point in the game. These two jets were tacked onto a request from the Air Force for a new jet. More sleight of hand to acquire something that they didn't need right now while we're being told to suck it up.

The House Appropriations committee didn't even try to justify the purchase as far as a I can tell. Just snuck it in. Par for the course.

[edit on 8/5/2009 by soldiermom]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

That is just another pathetic excuse the government uses to waste more money. It is not the governments job to prop up private business by purchasing things they dont need just for the sake of jobs.

They could have just as easily spent the 200 million to help people start small businesses that would create new jobs, possiblities for personal wealth, and new products on the market.

OR

They could have saved the money and learned to be responsible and cut the size of government and eventually cut taxes so we could actually compete in a global market.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

At least some are getting a stimulus job.

The private jet manufacturer, Savannah's larget private employer, placed the employees on unpaid leave starting June 29 in an effort to slow production as it saw customers delaying orders in hopes of waiting for the economy to improve.

Gulfstream spokesman Robert Baugniet (bone-YAY) said 1,500 workers returned on Monday after a five-week furlough. An additional 700 employees came back to work last week after being furloughed for four weeks.

Gulfstream's parent company, General Dynamics, said last week that orders for new large-cabin jets outpaced cancellations during the second quarter of 2009 — a sign that the business-jet market may be stabilizing.

source

Hurry and get started on those 3 G650's

Gulfstream Aerospace on Thursday unveiled plans to build the largest, fastest and most expensive private jet for delivery starting in 2012.

Gulfstream said its new G650 will be capable of flying nearly 700 mph, faster than a Boeing 747. It will seat 18, have a full kitchen and bar, and offer individualized entertainment, satellite phone service and wireless Internet access during the flight.

Passengers will be able to sip a cocktail at 51,000 feet, its maximum altitude, the company says.

"The G650 is in a brand new market by itself," said Gulfstream President Joe Lombardo.

source

Please pay your taxes the servants need the money.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hangdiver

Stimulus jobs. Yeah. I guess that's the new mantra huh?

I agree with grapesofraft, they use pathetic excuses to justify needless spending.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Ive seen too many jets in action not to openly welcome new ones. Had a REALLY Low fly by Near BaldHead Island last week where I saw a F-18 pull an Insane vertical bank, and disappear pretty much before we even heard (make that FELT) its presence.

they are always making and improving upon consumer goods, I just want our guys to have the best stuff as well.

see that works for a second until you notice that those two jets are a fraction of less than one percent of their entire budget, and thats just for the stuff they TELL us about..

Im agreeing they should be responsible, but that would be a stark turn for the American government,

[edit on 6-8-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I'm all for our military having the best. Our military. Not the ding-dong's on the hill. What do they need with two jets? All three should've been for the Air Force or the other branches of the service. Congresses mode of transportation should be commercial.

Stop spending my money on frivolous purchases! Every time I think about them telling us to tighten our belts and be frugal I just want to
. The amount of hypocrisy in D.C. right now is just staggering.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join