It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Give Me Shelter - A Documentary on Underground Shelters and the people who own them.(Video)

page: 1
3

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I watched this documentary today and thought that it would be of interest to you too. It concerns Americans who own and/or live in nuclear bomb shelters.


It interviews some of these people in what I thought was a non-mocking and respectable way, which I thought was good because it's very easy for people to laugh at these people, but if TSHTF, well people will be laughing the other side of their face!


Amazingly, there is a couple in the documentary who own a underground bomb shelter complex that is a former US Missile complex base.


The people who own the shelters discuss why they have the shelters, and how they would react towards neighbours should they want access to the shelter in the event of TSHTF.


Whatever your thoughts, I think like me, you'll find the documentary nothing less than very interesting.



'GIVE ME SHELTER' PART ONE: (12 Minutes, 3 seconds)





'GIVE ME SHELTER' PART TWO (11 Minutes, 21 Seconds)






Give Me Shelter



From the Link:



Producers: Terranova Films

The world these days can be a scary place, with instability and terrorism seemingly stalking all of civilised society. In urban America there is little to be done but hope that everything will somehow be alright with the ever-ready alert systems in place.

But for people living out the American Dream in suburbia some have turned back time to find peace of mind. The dark days of the Cold War may be gone but today holds the lurking threat of dirty bombs and international terrorism, they say. What better way to protect you and your family than to dive underground in your own personal backyard bomb shelter?

Paul Seyfried, a shelter owner in Salt Lake City, believes there simply is no better way. "The Russians have thousands of nuclear warheads ready for immediate delivery, China is rapidly acquiring that ability and Iran is working on it and so I just feel the need to make sure that my family has immediate access to effective protection."

He does not seem to be the only one to feel that way. Sales for home-based bomb shelters boomed by 50 per cent after the September 11th attacks in 2001 and Hurricane Katrina in August 2005. Some companies report record sales of pre-fabricated bunkers that are designed to keep you well below harms way.

For some however, being safe from the global war on terror takes on a more practical meaning. The Zwonitzer family from Nebraska chose to transform a former abandoned missile complex into a livable and roomy home.

Decommissioned by the government in 1965, the former Atlas 'E' missile complex has a front door that opens to an underground bunker and a nuclear bomb-proof roof with 400 tons of rolling steel.

The Zwonitzer's have stocked their underground house with enough food, water and supplies to keep them and some of their closest friends out of the grocery store for some time.

"We could probably sustain ourselves easily for a year, close to two years, and could probably put up to 13 people for a year if we had to. It wouldn't be real fancy but it would be survivability and that’s what the goal is here," says Don Zwonitzer.

Are these paranoid neighbours just biding their time to flee the godless hordes? Or just practical homeowners looking for a quiet place to get away when things turn ugly? Give Me Shelter offers a fascinating glimpse into the often secretive world of home-based bomb shelters.










[edit on 5-8-2009 by Regensturm]




posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
neat video's although I have to say is that If I had an underground shelter for when TSHTF, the last thing I would want is to have a video about it letting people know about what I have. Especially to TPTB. Makes it easier to for them to find you not to mention all the other people you know begging and even getting violent to get a spot in your shelter if not to take it away from you.



posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this. I've always wondered about this. I knew a guy once who wanted to buy land and make an underground home... claimed it was so the government wouldn't be able to find him, and when the nuclear bombs started falling he'd be set. He disapereared a couple years ago... no one knows where he went. Hopefully his dream came true.

I'm gonna go putz around the house then come watch this.



posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I also have always wondered about this..I thought it would have ben more than $50,000 thats actually not that bad! I always wnated an undrground bunker, and have often fantasized abuot it

A freind at work, knows a guy near where we work, also has something like this. BUt..took him 13 years to finish! HE was a construction guy with ltos of money, also a mason. Thy guy dug out so much, he has made 3 tunnels. if i can cal it that. 3 rooms within eachother underground all reinforced with reinforced cement and pillars. HE has air filters for radiation and biological agents.. I belive he has well water that he would utilize, if the SHTF. i cant reember the actual cost my friend told me something like $70,000+



posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Quite the fascinating watch, especially to see the couple of shelters which were in fact setup properly and not packed with useless furniture and other junk. There certainly is a growing number of folks who are taking up the survivalist mentality of preparing for the worst (and hoping for the best), and its good to see that some people can convey that without coming off as the tin-foil-hat type which gives the survivalist community a bad name.



posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Regensturm
 


interesting stuff, thanks for the post!




posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
neat video's although I have to say is that If I had an underground shelter for when TSHTF, the last thing I would want is to have a video about it letting people know about what I have. Especially to TPTB. Makes it easier to for them to find you not to mention all the other people you know begging and even getting violent to get a spot in your shelter if not to take it away from you.




Good point. It's interesting that that the couple who own the ex-US Underground Missile Complex and say that they would be wary of letting neighbours in should TSHTF take visitors on guided tours nonetheless!



Originally posted by MacSen191
Thank you for posting this. I've always wondered about this. I knew a guy once who wanted to buy land and make an underground home... claimed it was so the government wouldn't be able to find him, and when the nuclear bombs started falling he'd be set. He disapereared a couple years ago... no one knows where he went. Hopefully his dream came true.

I'm gonna go putz around the house then come watch this.



No problem!

He disappeared? maybe he knows something we don't, especially as he said he would be set when the nuclear bombs started falling?



Originally posted by ziggy1706
I also have always wondered about this..I thought it would have ben more than $50,000 thats actually not that bad! I always wnated an undrground bunker, and have often fantasized abuot it
A freind at work, knows a guy near where we work, also has something like this. BUt..took him 13 years to finish! HE was a construction guy with ltos of money, also a mason. Thy guy dug out so much, he has made 3 tunnels. if i can cal it that. 3 rooms within eachother underground all reinforced with reinforced cement and pillars. HE has air filters for radiation and biological agents.. I belive he has well water that he would utilize, if the SHTF. i cant reember the actual cost my friend told me something like $70,000+




Woah. The problem is, is that most people don't have that sort of money, or skills. Amazing stuff.



Originally posted by Helig
Quite the fascinating watch, especially to see the couple of shelters which were in fact setup properly and not packed with useless furniture and other junk. There certainly is a growing number of folks who are taking up the survivalist mentality of preparing for the worst (and hoping for the best), and its good to see that some people can convey that without coming off as the tin-foil-hat type which gives the survivalist community a bad name.



Yep. It's good to see a documentary that was not mocking and was serious and sensitive about the subject and the people in the documentary.



Originally posted by warrenb
interesting stuff, thanks for the post!




You're welcome!




[edit on 6-8-2009 by Regensturm]

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Regensturm]



posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I had a dream the other night that I was in a store and I looked outside through the storefront windows and saw that the ground was completely flooded with deep cold water and it was snowing like a blizzard in the middle of summer. Then I looked to my right and saw a mushroom cloud. I then grabbed my baby. I asked God if this was what it had come to, said a quick prayer and then a bright white light blinded everything and I felt as if I was floating and dissipating into the air. It felt as if there was no higher power protecting us. Also, in the dream, the other person who I was with had stolen a bunch of money and fled on a flight to some unknown destination. It was a scary dream.....or premonition. Hopefully, not the latter.

I think that most of the wealthy have shelters. I'm sure its something that's pretty much kept a secret between them. I guess in their minds if you can afford to have one then you're worth living in the new world. I was watching a national morning show one day when a well known weatherman casually joked about having a bomb shelter to the anchorwoman and she smiled and seemed to change the subject. It's quite sad we have to live in a world where nuclear weapons equal power to leaders and nations instead of what they really are certain death and suicide.

I know people who have one can of beans in their cabinet and seem to have the mindset that they are prepared for anything to happen. My neighbor is around 60 years old and his wife and him literally stack canned goods and food. I think our society has taught a generation of young people to be pure consumers and live with day to day groceries and eating habits. I mean what's going to happen if there was ever a catastrophe? The supermarket would certainly be raided and drained of most supplies within a matter of a day or two. I don't imagine the store would be able to accomodate their local population which means a lot of people are going to be screwed! Everyone just needs to wake up and be smart. This video has really shed some new and interesting light on this subject.



posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This was a great video thanks for posting.

I have been looking for other like minded people to go in on (split) a shelter and land with.

I am very flexible with the location, but currently split my time between NYC and Los Angeles (not the two safest places for when shtf, but its where my work is).

Fortunately my work now nearing a point where I can reside anywhere and perform it well, with only the occasional trip. As such I am willing to move to anywhere that me and the group I hopefully will find to split something like this with will be able to function.

So if anyone is interested let me know.



posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by wooleymammoth
I had a dream the other night that I was in a store and I looked outside through the storefront windows and saw that the ground was completely flooded with deep cold water and it was snowing like a blizzard in the middle of summer. Then I looked to my right and saw a mushroom cloud. I then grabbed my baby. I asked God if this was what it had come to, said a quick prayer and then a bright white light blinded everything and I felt as if I was floating and dissipating into the air. It felt as if there was no higher power protecting us. Also, in the dream, the other person who I was with had stolen a bunch of money and fled on a flight to some unknown destination. It was a scary dream.....or premonition. Hopefully, not the latter.



Scary dream.



Originally posted by wooleymammoth
I think that most of the wealthy have shelters. I'm sure its something that's pretty much kept a secret between them. I guess in their minds if you can afford to have one then you're worth living in the new world. I was watching a national morning show one day when a well known weatherman casually joked about having a bomb shelter to the anchorwoman and she smiled and seemed to change the subject. It's quite sad we have to live in a world where nuclear weapons equal power to leaders and nations instead of what they really are certain death and suicide.




I think there's certainly a danger in the near-future, if not presently, where if TSHTF we would have people divided into two: Those who have the power, money and influence to save themselves, either by underground bunkers or fleeing the area, and those who don't and who are left to survive in the enviroment that remains.




Originally posted by wooleymammoth
I know people who have one can of beans in their cabinet and seem to have the mindset that they are prepared for anything to happen. My neighbor is around 60 years old and his wife and him literally stack canned goods and food. I think our society has taught a generation of young people to be pure consumers and live with day to day groceries and eating habits. I mean what's going to happen if there was ever a catastrophe? The supermarket would certainly be raided and drained of most supplies within a matter of a day or two. I don't imagine the store would be able to accomodate their local population which means a lot of people are going to be screwed! Everyone just needs to wake up and be smart. This video has really shed some new and interesting light on this subject.




Speaking as someone from the UK, the focus on hoarding and making do with what you have, and not wasting anything was something which was introduced in WW2, observed by my Grandparent's generation, and passed on to my parent's generation.


As a child, not cleaning your plate of food after a meal was frowned upon!


With the introduction of ever wasteful consumerism, much in everyday life has been tossed aside and wasted for being 1 day past the sell by date or for not being new and shiny.


In the introduction of the current economic situation, there has been a return to the resourcefulness and 'waste not, want not' of old by many households.


And it's gone further.


In particular, people known as Freegans raid bins outside shops for the food that has been thrown away for being past the sell-by date but which is still perfectly acceptable to consume.


There also those who upon finding a roadkill, such as a pheasant or rabbit, will take it home, cook it and eat it.



Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
This was a great video thanks for posting.



No problem! I agree, it's a great video.



Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
I have been looking for other like minded people to go in on (split) a shelter and land with.

I am very flexible with the location, but currently split my time between NYC and Los Angeles (not the two safest places for when shtf, but its where my work is).

Fortunately my work now nearing a point where I can reside anywhere and perform it well, with only the occasional trip. As such I am willing to move to anywhere that me and the group I hopefully will find to split something like this with will be able to function.

So if anyone is interested let me know.




I'm nowhere near you, but I wish you good luck with your endeavours.




new topics

top topics



 
3

log in

join