It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New toy your young daughter can breastfeed ....sad

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
In my mind - how is it not sexual?

A baby is the result of sex. Therefore, before breastfeeding, from what I've learned, sex has come into play.

So, from my position, it's both nurturing and sexual.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

Originally posted by Jewels2007
What has breastfeeding got to do with sex? Have you ever breastfed a baby? I breastfed all three of my children until they were one and I know there is absolutely nothing sexual about it. As far as I'm concerned this is no different to a child playing with a doll and pretending its her baby.

Did you let some stranger breast feed your baby or tell your children what it's all about?

We're talking about a doll specifically designed to emulate a role.. Someone sat there and came up with an idea that people agreed with.

It's a far cry from what a mother or father lets a child do with a doll.

I dunno, I know when I do have kids I would never let them have things like this. Thats what mt wife and I would be there fore, to teach our children, and not some company for them to force their education.

I just find this entirely creepy. Seems to be opinions like mine are somehow wrong. meh...

Well if you do end up having a daughter, you will see for yourself at an early age, she will start immitating her mom. Also, females want kids as soon as they are aware of it. To a man this is a sexual desire they feel is unnatural, but to a woman it's a part of womanhood. I find it amusing that you consider this doll to be sick when it actually isn't, but if you had a boy, I bet you won't hold back in buying him G.I Joes, or toy soldiers wouldn't you? He'll grow up playing cops and robbers, or soldiers all that have either toy guns or pretending a stick is a gun. This could be considered sick in many circles because it would seem to encourage a child to be a criminal or a killer or "brainwashed" into being a soldier. Of course with exception to a few cases this isn't true either because it's just simple play. I did it, but I came out unbrainwashed. Perhaps you need to take the perversion out of the equation here and use your head.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a) girls interested in such a toy got a minimum of 7 years to go before they will be physically able to get a kid. 7 years where a lot will happen in their development too.

b) breast feeding has nothing to do with sex. (well, not more than in the you have to do one to have the other kind of way) I hate to break it to some of you guys but: making men horny is not the main purpose of breasts, feeding babies is.

c) I seriously doubt some people posting here have ever in their life seen a kid up close. Before they are smart enough to play real games, all they do is pretend to be adults!

d) The reason kids aren't interested in sex is not that they are shielded from it. Kid's can be very aware of it actually, but they just couldn't care less about it. That turns into repulsion later, and that repulsion eventually goes away.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I remember a few years ago, Mattel releases a toy The Harry Potter Nimbus 2000. Which had sound effects and vibrating movement...needless to say, some parents were up in arms over it:

“The Nimbus 2000 features a grooved stick and handle for easy riding. Enhancing the excitement are the vibrating effects and magical swooping and whooshing sounds the broom makes when on. Sounds can also be activated when the switch is set in standby mode. Requires three AA batteries (included),” reviewer Larry White adds.

A check of other online toy stores shows that description to be accurate.

Sarah Rosales, Vice President of Public Relations for Mattel's Entertainment Division said, “Our intent in creating the Nimbus 2000 Flying Broomstick was to bring the magic of the fictional ”Harry Potter“ tale to life for children. The toy was created to mimic the effect of flying and uses batteries to produce swooshing sound effects.”

“At Mattel, the well-being of children is always our top priority.”

Rosales added that Mattel “does not consider the toy inappropriate” adding that they “apologize that some parents may consider it to be [inappropriate], but that was not the company's intention.”

Customer reviews of the toy are mixed. A reviewer identified as “A toy enthusiast from New Jersey” described her shock when she purchased the toy for her daughter last Christmas.

“It wasn’t until after she opened her gift and started playing with it that I realized that the toy may offer a more than sensational experience. The broomstick has cute sound effects and ***VIBRATES*** when they put it between their legs to fly,” she wrote on December 26, 2001.

“Come on — what were the creators of this toy thinking? She’ll keep playing with the Nimbus 2000, but with the batteries removed,” she added.

Other reviewers were apparently not as quick on the uptake. “Ashley” from Texas is one who found nothing unusual with the toy.

“My 12-year-old daughter is a big Harry Potter fan, and loved the part with the Nimbus 2000, so I decided to buy her this toy,” Ashley wrote on June 11, 2002. “Even my daughter’s friends enjoy playing with this fun toy. I was surprised at how long they can just sit in her room and play with this magic broomstick!!”

Other reviewers seemed to be simply clueless. “Poola13” from Ohio noted how popular the toy was with his/her 12-year-old daughter and her friends. Poola13 added in the June 11, 2002, review that, “they play for hours in her bedroom with this great toy. They really seem to like the special effects it offers (the sound effects and vibrating). My oldest daughter (17) really likes it too!”

www.cwfa.org...

I know this is not directly on topic, but it shows that there have been, and still are, toys that are manufactured, which meet disapproval of others. Rightfully so? I'm not a parent, so I can't really say.

Just my 2-cents

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
My daughter, like all little girls, grew up far too fast. While little boys are fighting, climbing trees, pinching apples from orchards, building go-carts and collecting football cards, girls are playing (nurturing) dolls, wearing pillow cases off the back of their heads and pretending to get married and experimenting with make up.
It's just the way kids evolve I'm afraid.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is very inappropriate and hypocritical in the fact that they are trying to teach kids to stay away from "Havin' Babies'.

Although look at the bright side, it's teaching young mothers to breast feed their baby with human milk and not cow puss.

Wonderful.

-Psychonaught

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Psychonaughty]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

LOL now that is the best.

Second line

Third...

-Psychonaught

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Psychonaughty]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
As a mom who breastfed I don't see what all the fuss is about. Little girls care for their dolls in whatever way is typical for her society. Unfortunately our society prefers bottles/formula. Now the natural way seems too embarrassing for some. We've been so conditioned, we are domesticated man.

I grew up around all kinds of pets and farm animals. I saw birth and I saw breastfeeding. When I was little it confused me when human mothers used the bottle instead of the breast. I always thought something was wrong with their breasts. I hoped mine would be ok when I watched the piglets nurse.

What is at the bottom of this is the modern female body is exclusively for sex. We must discourage little girls from seeing their body parts as essential to serving nature because really all those parts are mainly just for sex now. I'm sorry but I would see nothing wrong if a stranger offered my daughter a play bottle for her doll and instead she said "no I feed my baby this way" and held her doll to her clothed chest. If the stranger got upset well I would think they were warped. I would probably shame them and walk away.

Maybe the vest teaches covering up before breastfeeding ensuring little girls will stay covered Idk they could have done without that. Even if you choose not to buy this toy kids might see it in the stores and ask questions it could lead to healthy discussion. I would like to see children think breastfeeding is ok. I had a terrible time with society. I had to hide away in cars in bathrooms etc. Covering mom & baby builds quite a sweat but God forbid someone sees a booby. Grow up!

In natural societies other women assist mothers who don't have enough milk. If you've ever been around a breastfed baby as soon as they feel skin they begin to root around it's impossible to stop them. Little girls living naturally most likely had a baby latch on to their own nipple. It's possible the little girls even let the baby suckle until it started to hurt and that's when mom would take over. I doubt anyone would think she was a pervert. Not at all most would think someday she will be a good caring mom. Only if she were to openly or repulsively reject the baby's attempts would they be concerned. It would have been real nice to have had another set of breasts to offer up when I was busy.

In our society breast are for men only. Promoting anything involving breasts is the same as promoting sex. Whats the point of giving barbie boobies without nipples? What's up with that? If nipples are sexual then men need to keep theirs covered so no one has to think about nipples or sex. Our babies tried to latch on to my husband if they felt skin he would hand them over and we would laugh. My mother on the other hand would get a terrified/disgusted look on her face. That to me is sad.

I am woman my body is multipurpose. I think we lost an awful lot when we gave up the female based societies of old.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I have to agree, as Americans I believe we get way to worked up on these kind of issues. We try and keep natural things from them and we end up teen pregnancy issues.

I have two daughters that are now in there 20s and if they had this doll when they where younger and wanted it, I wouldn't have an issue with that. And yes both of my daughter are still childless and go to college.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Our babies tried to latch on to my husband if they felt skin he would hand them over and we would laugh.

My wife and I just had a baby girl (6 weeks old now). She is breastfeeding her unlike our first child. The first go round she didn't want to breastfeed because of the hassle and the odd looks people get while doing it. This time we are a little older and don't care what people think. Maybe if toys like this had been around when she was younger she wouldn't have felt odd about doing it the first time.

I know what you mean about babies trying to latch on to anyone. My daughter has tried to get milk from my bicep on several occasions already. I think it's sweet although I promptly hand her over to Mommy.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnParanorm
We try and keep natural things from them and we end up teen pregnancy issues.

I'm not sure I see the correlation (specifically regarding this toy with all it's bells and whistles).

I have two daughters that are now in there 20s and if they had this doll when they where younger and wanted it, I wouldn't have an issue with that. And yes both of my daughter are still childless and go to college.

Most likely attributed to good parenting.
That's the key.

That being said, this thing is still strange.

Peace

[edit on 6-8-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

My daughter, like all little girls, grew up far too fast. While little boys are fighting, climbing trees, pinching apples from orchards, building go-carts and collecting football cards, girls are playing (nurturing) dolls, wearing pillow cases off the back of their heads and pretending to get married and experimenting with make up. It's just the way kids evolve I'm afraid.

I see what you mean on your post and totaly agree with you, its the natural step in kids evolution, i dont see anythings shocking on that doll at all.

The shocking part, ppls doin a fuss about......something like a breastfed doll..
Cmon gimme a break idont even understad why WHY its shocking :

Let see objectively the "problem" some ppls are just thinking its wrong for little girls to have that kind of toy.
Ok so im already feeling sorry for the parents of thoses kids, they have a BIG worry to have when their kids gonna discover sexuality

Why thoses ppls are shocked?
Simple answer for simple thing:

Breastfeeding is our "animal" legacy and most ppls cant just admit what they are, what WE are all, animals, advanced ones but animals still.

Breastfeeding is seen as a shocking thing , why ?

Because in the American Mind, the predominant image of male sexuality is based on BREAST, it mean, technicaly, showing a mother feeding her kid is automaticaly linked to an erotised image, and THAT is wrong, where someone see a natural act, somes are calling it evil, because they eroticise that natural thing as evil.
Seeing it as a bad thing because of their owns libido, where there is only a natural thing

The US society banned the simple human factor, turning the simple evolutions steps into a terrible EVIL.

Banning breastfeeding, kids discovering or talkin about sexuality during their evolution etc etc etc.

So we're just trying to erase the simple fact: we're animals

By banning that doll, you're banning the human factor.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by OTTOKARMA]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I can not believe someone here actually suggested this might be too graphic to be posted here.

This doll is a lovely, natural and sweet toy. The mammary glands on women are for the purpose of nursing children. Breasts are not sexual organs. The toy does not even show any breasts. It is very sweet.

How do the people who think this is weird think babies eat?

Girls should be encouraged to grow up knowing the most natural things are usually the best. Women who breast feed have less depression, less risk of breast cancer and the child gets much better nutrition. As the parent of daughters I would think this would be a great toy for them to have.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I tend not to buy my kids the new "trendy" electronic toys... any toy in my house that runs on batteries was purchased by relatives or friends... I don't think toys like this are necessary, I would rather my kids exercise their imaginations.

That being said, for people who buy these kinds of toys for their kids, there's nothing inherently wrong with this one. The toy is not necessary, but breastfeeding is not perverted and I don't believe it's innapropriate for a little girl to learn about breastfeeding (provided the mother explains to her daughter that only mommies can produce milk after having a baby).

The toy manufacturer is just trying to make a profit, and there is a consumer group for the product, at least in Europe. I don't think they'll even try to sell this doll in America, because of the breastfeeding "taboo" over here.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. This is a beautifully packaged, well thought out toy for children and it's even educational. Most toys today are nowhere near the quality of this doll and they should make this available in the United States pronto. I bet stores would have a hard time keeping them in stock.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Whow! What are we teaching kids at what age?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OTTOKARMA

So we're just trying to erase the simple fact: we're animals

Star for you! It's a shame it was left to a bunch of barnyard animals to teach me that every species of mammal has it's own type of milk specific to the need of their offspring. Except for humans it seemed.

I was told my aunts/cousins used the bottle because they didn't have enough milk or the baby was starving because their milk was bad. I could tell they didn't like it when I asked.

I was beginning to think there was something very wrong with the breasts of the women in my family. It made me worry about my own. I don't think they wanted to tell me they just didn't want to. I later learned this was the reason but why wouldn't they tell me that? It would've eased my mind a little. I must say when my milk first came in I was totally taken by surprise. They really did work almost too well.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pathos
Whow! What are we teaching kids at what age?

How DARE people teach their children that we are MAMMALS???

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I wonder if this is connected to the hormomes in chicken, and the effects on young girls. and now breast feeding dolls... humm, connection... /?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

I'm mixed. It's disturbing depending on what you think about. When I was a little boy of 5, I pretended to be a mother with a doll. Why should I deny it? It was fun. I was probably the only boy who played with dolls in preschool, but so be it. I grew into transformers and explosives by 7, but I still like to hold my old dolls... At least I imagine my self a father now.

Then again, it's programming little girls to be mothers, which is right or wrong depending on who you ask.

All and all, it's a great toy for the 2nd child family, when the older child begins to ask why the baby likes mommy's chest.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join