It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New toy your young daughter can breastfeed ....sad

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Alright no doubt they are partially there to provide you something fun to look at
though only on humans odd that.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

Then the parents should probably step in and explain to the boy that they dont get to feed babies like that.

Hell no, then we'd have to figure out why ourselves and that would keep us from the TV so then we'd have to invent god, so as not to think, and then -------

[edit on 5-8-2009 by moocowman]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'm conflicted here. On the one hand breastfeeding, without question, has many benefits over formula feeding. But are young girls (i.e. 5,6,7) really going to use this doll as a learning tool for a pregnancy that will not, hopefully, occur for for at least a decade...

As a man in his mid 20's I'd feel embarrassed if I saw a young girl feigning breast feeding, to be honest. I know it's not about my sensibilities though.

As some people have stated, breastfeeding is natural and therefore there is nothing wrong with this. But there are more than a few natural things that are inappropriate for some ages.

I mean who here would let there children play with Barbies in mid-coitus...with wedding bands on there fingers to boot.

Hell, I wonder how many parents would buy anatomically correct dolls for their little girls...

Very few on both accounts I'd think.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Threadfall

Why then is it perfectly acceptable to have a young boy feigning killing and destruction. Please tell me what is so bad about a female displaying nurturing instincts rather than a male displaying killing instincts.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Aw Geez...I thought the pooping doll was bad enough. Glad mine's outgrowing dolls.

No words for that.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
i'd be willing to bet that women, at any age, that played with dolls more as girls are more comfortable handling babies when they have them.
of course its not like an education in mothering, there is no such thing as that, but if they are introduced to the idea that breastfeeding is normal (with their dolls) at a young age maybe they will be more comfortable with the idea of breastfeeding once they do have children.

i see that as a possible benefit even if that is not the "intention"
since this is sold in europe and it is more common to nurse then maybe their dolls just reflect that.

i think it would do everyone just as well if dolls were just sold as dolls and thats it. let the parents mold their ideas on how a baby should be fed and cared for.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Multipurpose, just like zinc oxide.

A special friend female of mine already has one of those dolls. He posts on ATS and might be considered eccentric.

dear loving god I can't take anymore

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

Why then is it perfectly acceptable to have a young boy feigning killing and destruction. Please tell me what is so bad about a female displaying nurturing instincts rather than a male displaying killing instincts.

I think my first post was quite clear that I think there is nothing wrong with it, thank you.

As for why it is more acceptable for boys to mock kill each other with toy guns, etc. Well, I think you already know the answer to that...
It's been a man's world for a long, long time now. That's why.
I quite agree with you though, that double standard is not just unfair but ludicrous.

But my slight uneasiness about little girls breast feeding dolls that are supposed to be only a few years younger than them remains.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I honestly don't see what the big deal is. There are dolls that do much worse or at least suggest much worse. Some of the Barbies come to mind. This is a natural act and the doll doesn't need a nipple it's all pretend. Just like girls changing diapers and using a bottle to feed their dolls. They have dolls for everything else why not breastfeeding.

Also if you don't want your child to have it , don't buy it. It's really that simple.

I just asked my wife about this and she said it's a stupid idea and they shouldn't be selling them. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I still say don't buy it for your kids if you don't like it.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Strictsum

I don't have any kids, but I have a young niece that is in the prime age for dolls and I agree. Remember Brats or Bratz...whatever? I think they were forced to discontinue them because of a copyright infringement against Barbies not too long ago. They should been called S#uts (TM).

So I agree.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Yeah Bratz, I couldn't think of the name of those dolls. You are right they are awful awful awful.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
They will learn about breastfeeding - it's pros and cons -
when the time comes that they need this information.
This is brainwashing and unnecessary.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I'd rather parents give their daughters dolls that would scream randomly and uncontrollably with no way to remove batteries or muffle the sound.

That would teach a more worthwhile lesson than "look how much fun babies are!!"

Oh, Yeah! My 8th grader granddaughter had to care for a computerized baby doll for a 3 day weekend this last spring. My granddaughter was miserable for 3 days. The kids called this particular baby the "crack baby" because it was programed to be totally out of control.
Goodness gracious my granddaughter had a terrible time of it and we did not help her one single bit. We just laughed at her and said, so, you are getting a good lesson here. Remember it!! Now you know what your mother experienced while still in high school because she couldn't control herself.

This baby in the OP, I am not so sure will be a teaching tool worth a hoot.
Chub chub chub says the label on the box. lol. It's more wah wah wah. And for the first time mother, it's more like ouch ouch ouch, or so says my wife of our first child.

Meanwhile, a bit off topic here, I guess, no, we did not abandon our teenage daughter to her own devices. I was able to be at home during the day and took care of the little baby she had while she attended high school. And we did not laugh at our young mother/daughter when she had difficulties. We helped her. But for my granddaughter, having to bear responsibility of a child for three days, yeah, we laughed, because it wasn't a real baby. It was a teaching moment for the girl. She failed the exercise, by the way.
Dang computerized crack babies, anyway!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Wow this is an exhausting thread. I just wanted to back up the others with my approval of this toy. I think it is great. Breastfeeding is not a dirty act. It is a very loving act. One that creats a greater bond between mothers and their babies. A lot of countries see breastfeeding as an obvious choice and only use formula when they can not breastfeed. So it is no surprise to me that they would come up with such a toy.

I think a lot of men fail to realize, or can not stand the thought, that a womans breast actually serves a purpose that has nothing to do with them or sex.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by mrsdudara]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

i guess i see dolls coming with bottles as a form of "brainwashing" as well.
brainwashing to overlook the mountains of knowledge and information and still choose to give their babies bottles of man-made chemical likely because it is more familiar.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Explain how this is brainwashing. As mention before, little girls do this on their own, and someone obviously observed that and decided to try to market the idea as an actual toy to make money off of it. I don't see the conspiracy in this.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TLomon
I just thought I should add some more of my opinions here. I don't have an objection to this toy. If you don't like it as a parent, don't purchase it for your child.

Both of my children were breastfed. When my daughter played with her dolls, she immitated mommy breastfeeding her brother. Why? Dolls encourage immitating their mother. My daughter wanted to be a good mommy just like her mommy. I really don't see what the huge issue is on this.

I have to agree overall. There are some "creepy" aspects to this toy, but I base that upon the culture that I was brought up in. My initial reaction was one of "hey, it's encouraging breastfeeding-which is pretty healthy." But yes, I can see how in our Puritanical USA this toy could be sexualized.

Another symptom of how repressed the USA is in total.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I as a father of two have no problem with this toy. If anything it teaches a young girl exactly what a breast is for, feeding an infant. I would much rather her play with a doll like this and be sent a right message of a breasts use than watch a video clip of some pop star aimed at young girls to be tought that a breast is for sexual pleasure only.

If anything this toy sexualises the perception of breast as portrayed in youth culture (that MTV trash).

Maybe it will also encourage breast feeding when these young girls grow up ( although there is no right or wrong answer on that but that would be another thread
)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

You dont get it? Its not about being hung up sexually, its about conditioning children to want to breast feed children when they are not ready for such a step.

You do know how babies are made right?

This is just another tool to get kids to want to have sex at an earlier age. There is an agenda here. From a Disney Musketeer to grow up to be a public slut that the kids that grew up with her idolized, to the kind of clothes most young girls are wearing lately.

You see them in the mall all the time. I have seen 11 year old girls wearing daisy dukes with but cheeks hanging out and wonder; what the hell are those parents thinking letting a little girl wear such an outfit.

Something stinks in the world lately can you smell it?

TPTB are messing with all of us big time. Yet barely anyone notices....not even some people on ATS.

Its like they are brainwashing society for some nefarious reasons and everyone yawns.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
reply to post by TLomon

I just find it inappropriate for a little girl. she should be focusing on playing and childhood. not the responsibilities of adults.

she will have plenty of time to do those things when she becomes of age and has children of her own...

I have a problem with your statement. I don't know it you have children, especially girls. My daughter (3yr old) loves to be like her mummy, we have just had our second child 2 months. She now does everything mummy does. She puts her dolls to sleep, she feeds them, she changes nappies and yes she has been seen to breastfeed them.

This is all without a doll designed especially for breastfeeding (as the toy in the thread). I bet she doesn't know it, but this is helping to develop parenting skills and she is playing as most girls do and having fun. Little girls love babies. My daughter also has trains and my old hot wheels to play with but has always loved her dolls and prams, and it is all to do with wanting to be like mummy who is the closest person in her life...she does love her though.

I don't believe that this will lead to teen pregnancy, my wife and I have a good moral ground which we intent to pass on. And I hope that my relationship with my daughter in twelve years time will still be strong so we can talk to her like a young adult.

And the second line I have quoted from your reply. When she has children of her own I hope she would have appreciated the facts way before it got to that point.

I think the problem is most americans are prudes who sexilise everything. I think you need to look at yourself and confront what it is that disgusts you about this toy, then step back and think about the message it sends to young girls about the proper uses of the breasts. Hopefully you realise it opens their eyes to the purpose that god designed them for and not what mtv shows them to be used for.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join