It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New toy your young daughter can breastfeed ....sad

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

So you never have been to the park with your kid and talked to people??

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

much more age appropriate than a supermodelesque doll with barely any clothes and a boyfriend as an accessory.

i agree that these are things that women should teach their daughters, and not toys. the sad fact is that most kids are left to learn most of their values from toys, media and other children--not their parents. it seems that, while ignoring utility and learning how to be adults from toys, they have just played on kids wanting to grow up in inappropriate ways (like make up and boyfriends) and that has been fine and only mildly controversial...but a baby doll that models breastfeeding is inappropriate?

i DO agree that the top thing the girl wears and the realistic sucking action is strange...but compared to other toys on the market this is benign...

i think dolls should not come with any feeding accessories since it is the job of parents to guide the child on appropriate ways to feed their babies (at a time THEY deem appropriate)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by absconditussapientia
reply to post by TLomon

So you never have been to the park with your kid and talked to people??

Actually, the parents talk to me, and the kids talk to kids. As dream pointed out, this isn't typically a doll you would bring to the park. For one, the sand would most likely kill it (it did to Baby Alive - thank god... I mean unfortunately).

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
breast feeding is a mature theme for adults.

come again??
how so?
is bottle feeding a mature theme for adults only?

and um, if its such an explicit theme we should not be exposing innocent little babies to such perversion, don't you think?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

thanks! i cant believe i have two already! time flies...thats for sure!

I think it depends on the strangers demeanor and if he knows the parents are around...I think the question was valid...

And I think it makes a good example of why it is inappropriate.

but I do understand the point about wanting to teach children the importance of breast feeding (instead of bottle feeding), I just think it should be once the child is more mature and has a better understanding of the whole baby subject...

Again, a decision that should be left up to the parents of each individual child...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

how so??

simple. have you ever seen a child breast feed a baby?

I never have.

and um, if its such an explicit theme we should not be exposing innocent little babies to such perversion, don't you think?

Why is it you feel breast feeding is perverted?

you forgot to do this...[/sarcasm]

...the sarcasm is unwarranted...

[edit on 5-8-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

In terms of the perversion issue...

If peeing babies are accepted as okay, then this should be as well, because creepy people could have a field day with both.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

reply to post by TLomon

apples and oranges. one has to do with motherhood... where as anyone can feed a baby with a bottle.

I just find it inappropriate for a little girl. she should be focusing on playing and childhood. not the responsibilities of adults.

she will have plenty of time to do those things when she becomes of age and has children of her own...

Childhood is when children should be taught responsibility. The young adults today are a lot of times irresponsible because they weren't taught to become adults. You cannot let kids play and goof off all their lives then expect them to be responsible adults just because they turn 18.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

When did I say they should "play and goof off"...

i agree children should be taught responsibility...epsecially in age appropriate ways throughout their childhood...breast feeding isnt one of them...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Come on. What kinda park are you going to? The adults talk to adults and kids talk to kids. Many mothers have asked my children(directly) their ages or what's the name of their doll. Taking the latter scenario out of the equation, any parent more then likely would not get spooked if another adult handed their child's play bottle over to have fun with.

But if it was a breast feeding apparatus, that is where the controversy comes in.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

i agree...peeing and pooping babies seems a little off, but at the same time...young children can and have helped the mothers take care of infants for a long time...and it may be a good way to teach them how to do it...

a yound girl will never be able to help the mother breast feed. and probably shouldnt be helping them hold a bottle either...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I don't know if you've had daughters...
But, when I was a kid, and with my little cousins, and the kids I babysit, they all naturally take their dolls and try to fake breastfeed them.

Great, then why do little girls need a doll especially made for simulating breastfeeding?

Peace

That is quite simple. The doll company wants to come out with a cool new toy in the months before Christmas so that little girls will beg for their own and parents will spend money on them. Same reason Cabbage Patch came out with a doll that supposedly ate food (but had to be recalled because it would start eating little girls' hair).

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

my three-year-old has reenacted seeing his sister nurse...we tell him only mommies feed babies like this. maybe i should be hiding in the bedroom to feed my child so he doesn't see this, its pretty sexual for him to be holding dolls up to his chest seeing how males don't nurse and, of course, children also don't.

and i don't /sarcasm ever, it would be insulting for me to think you would miss that bit of sarcasm.

it seems like either children should be taught things we do as adults (like cooking, cleaning, changing diapers, feeding babies) OR children should not learn any of it.
not that they should learn all things it would take to run a household with dollies and playhouse sets...but not breastfeeding, because thats "Mature"

either breastfeeding is INappropriate and mature and should be hidden away from little children and probably not duplicated in adulthood.
or
breastfeeding is MORE natural than bottle feeding and as such there is no need to hide it away or treat it like sex education for the child to discover and (hopefully master) in adulthood.

it seems you are of both sides and you cannot favor toys that teach house, except for breastfeeding. unless you think breastfeeding is 'perverse' which it seems you don't.

this doll is weird, but not inapproprate...imo.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick

breast feeding is a mature theme for adults.

come again??
how so?
is bottle feeding a mature theme for adults only?

That attitude teaches little girls that their body is dirty and unnatural. A lot of young mothers end up bottle feeding because society frowns on breastfeeding so much. I was thrown out of a battered women's shelter when my daughter was a baby because I was breastfeeding and they viewed me as perverted.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
pms

[edit on 8/5/2009 by double_frick]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
While I have been reading the various opinions about this odd toy, I have seen worse...

Make up kits aimed at kids/pre teens so your little one can paint her face... to my knowledge, Halloween only comes once a year

A few people have mentioned barbie dolls, a good point. Why does a kid need a Barbie doll, a fully formed mature woman with sexy clothes high heels and all to play with? Not to mention Ken, the boyfriend. Kids are smarter than we gave them credit for and they find ways to learn those "things". Give any 7 years old girl a Ken and Barbie doll, film them without their knowledge in their room and see how quickly "that innocent girl" will start rubbing Barbie and Ken's genitalia against each other. We would love to think that out kids are innocent but the truth of the matter is, kids are curious and if we do not teach them, they teach each other at school, at friends...

The thing of it is, how long does a kid have interest in a new toy? Beside for video game consoles, it is a bay that makes sucking noise and from my experience as a kid, I would quickly loose interest in such a boring toy. It doesn't jump, it doesn't do back flip, it just sucks.

Kids know that sex is, be honest ya'll, how many of you out there never played "Doctor" as kids.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by gYvMessanger
I dont see why its wrong.

The media makes sex look fun and something people should do as soon as possible. That is a seperate issue.

This toy teaches girls that they should breast feed their kids rather than using solution, which they should ideally.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I really think this is a good thing as it is great to encourage little girls to nurse their future babies, if they have them. As others have pointed out there are tons of dolls that have bottles.
Whats really disturbing is that they keep coming up with toys that are really just tools to brainwash little girls into thinking that they *must* become mommies when they grow up above all else. I'm not saying that mommies arnt important..just that maybe it would be nice if there was a message somewhere that it was ok to not be a mommy too. Like arnt we supposed to have a choice?

[edit on 5-8-2009 by FunSized]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I don't see anything inherently wrong with this doll. I personally think it's better than teaching a little girl to give a baby a bottle. Alot of kids these days don't even know about breastfeeding and I personally think that's weird. Why keep biology a secret from them?

My daughter saw me breastfeeding her baby brother (for 12 months) when she was 3-4 years old. She would hold her baby dolls up to her chest and pretend to feed them too. I explained to her that when mommies have babies their bodies make milk to feed the babies until they're big enough to eat food like everyone else does.

I nursed her for 11 months when she was a baby too. We were living in Texas at the time and the few people we knew weren't weird about me breastfeeding at all, I took my daughter into another room to nurse because I didn't know our friends there very well.

We had moved back to my family and friends before my son was born, I felt comfortable enough to just cover us up with a blanket to nurse around them. I was surprised how weird my mom and my "best friend" were about me breastfeeding.

My mom would ask me, after every one of my son's check-ups, if his doctor told me when I could stop nursing. My best friend would check the diaper bag to see if I had pumped any bottles for him every time we went to visit with her.

I think it's very weird that there's a taboo about breastfeeding. That's the purpose of breasts, they are not sexual objects. I wouldn't go into public and openly nurse my child, because I don't want strange men to look at me, but the simple act of naturally feeding a baby is not perverted.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This is a great doll. Kids' play is LEARNING and maneuvering through childhood and ultimately into adulthood. Learning good habits early does lead to good habits in adulthood. This is proven. My 1 year old breastfeeds, my 2 and 3 year olds imitate breastfeeding and we are PROUD of them... not horrified. If you see perversion, the perversion is in YOUR head. Breastfeeding dolls:

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join