It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New toy your young daughter can breastfeed ....sad

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

your welcome to your opinion. but it doesnt change my opinion that it the doll is inappropriate...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

why cant a little girl just enjoy her childhood without adult themed toys trying to teach her responsibilites at such a young age?

what does that have to do with sex?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

So sorry. I'll rephrase.
Do you think that the dolls which are able to eat and pee are inappropriate as well, using the same logic as with this breastfeeding doll?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
You know, there's always a way to spin something to put it in a good light, like girls SHOULD learn to breastfeed. Well, that job's for the mother or another female role model in her life, not freakin' Hasbro or whatever the hell company makes that.

This is straight up weirdsville!

Peace

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

(age appropriate)

So, your saying breast feeding for a 4 year old is "age appropriate?"

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
eye, what exactly is the difference between breastfeeding and bottle feeding a doll at age 4?

Please explain exactly why you feel it is wrong and not age appropriate. I would like to know your stance on this matter, but I am failing to understand why you feel they are different.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

exactly...its not the job of hasbro.

but it seems their argument is that it is better than the dolls that teach young girls to bottle feed..

there is probably a good reason those manufacturers decided to include bottle feeding than breast feeding...

as we see here, the reaction from most people is that breast feeding a baby doll by a 4 year old is not the best of ideas...and probably will be rejected by the general public.

looks like they got that one right!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Literally, this doll is not meant to teach kids to breastfeed. It just mimics it.

Have you ever seen the dolls that really do? They're sold to adults and through medical catalogues. They actually do latch on and suck.

This doll teaches kids to breastfeed just as much as the peeing dolls teach kids how to properly feed and clean up a child.

Yeah. Right. It's just for fun.

And to tell the truth, I think most people would go "Um, it's just a toy. It doesn't really breastfeed."

[edit on 8/5/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

i thought i was clear. breast feeding is a mature theme for adults. not for immature little girls without a good understanidng of the world or the procesess that adults use in important circumstances...such as feeding their children.

heres an example of a possible consequence of teaching a little girl to breast feed.

little girl starts play breast feeding with her other toys...stuffed animals...maybe she thinks she can try and breast feed her little infant baby brother...maybe she goes to sachool and showcases her new immitation and shows other kids this is good...her friends who also know nothing about this part of motherhood, and they go home and try to breast feed their baby brothers or sisters...

they cant understand it, so why let them immitate it? could lead to something very unfortunate..

its a theme that belongs with adults who can understand the the entire process...not kids who are doing it for imitation reasons. its not just about the education you are trying to give. teling a baby to place a doll near your their nipple because it is a "better" form of feeding is not appropriate. they wont get it until they can fully understand the whole process...

Once they understand the who, what, why and when fully I would bet they wouldnt want to pretend breast feeding in the first place...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I don't know if you've had daughters...
But, when I was a kid, and with my little cousins, and the kids I babysit, they all naturally take their dolls and try to fake breastfeed them.

They hug them up to their chests and coo to them.

It's because they see their mommies do it, people in the store, they know what breastfeeding is and that it's a good thing.

If you feel this way, fine, but I literally have seen kids try and breastfeed their dolls before. I think it's a natural step when they are learning to care for their toys. Nobody suggests it or tells them to.

I'm just saying then, any such activity to you would be inappropriate. In my experience it's very natural and I know that kids do it without this specific doll.

I know that kids do this and imitation is a great thing. Actually, I don't see why a kid shouldn't know about breastfeeding. Usually mothers explain it, especially if the child has younger siblings or family members.

I think your position on breastfeeding as an adult-only serious issue is wrong. I think this mindset is why more people don't breastfeed. There's nothing wrong about it and there's nothing about it that a child shouldn't know about.

But my mother is a midwife and I wore pro-breastfeeding shirts from the time I was born. *shrug*

[edit on 8/5/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
First, thank you for explaining your thoughts in detail. I still disagree, but at least I understand where you are coming from.

It really boils down to what you, as a parent, feels is appropriate for your child. My children know the who, what, when, why questions. When my daughter asked why mommy breastfed her brother, she duplicated the exact same thing with a teddy bear sitting on the couch right next to her. This is positive behavior, and something each child does. Children mimic their parents. This is how they learn during the early years.

You keep indicating this is mature behavior, but I am equating to giving a baby a bottle. I see no difference. How exactly is feeding a baby "mature" behavior?

Now, one thing that might be overlooked here - it only works with the smock (aka full upper body covering). Second, this isn't a Hasbro product. It isn't even sold in the US.

Finally, no one has explained why they consider this sexual behavior? I am still thinking it is an upbringing issue, but no one has explained it yet.

CX

link   
Whilst i appreciate that many here think this is ok, my problem comes when the little girl, aged 4,5,6,7 (pick an age) starts copying what they've seen mummy do and decides to not use the chest piece thing that comes with the toy.

Thats what worries me. Yes i know that kids copy thier mums, and they are just looking after thier dollies the same way as a mum looks after a baby, but a mum doesn't put on a chest piece when she feeds her baby does she?

That to me is concerning. Maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way, but i'm a dad who is very protective of his daughters in this day and age. I know that breast feeding is not a sexual thing, but i do not want my kids being even tempted to pretend to breastfeed like some women do in either in public or elsewhere.

I've nothing against women breastfeeding in public, most mums can do it so you wouldn't even know they were doing it. Kids would not be that apt at it.

Having read through my thread, i think it's just the worry that they'd do this in public that gets to me most, there are just too many odd people in this world for me to be ok with it.

This is an emotion stirring thread though, so as long as people respect others opinions, then all should be fine.

CX.

link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

if the child does it naturally so be it..i dont see it as a negative for them to do it on their rown recognizance. i just dont think it is one of those things that should be specifically encouraged in a toy or taught at a yound age...

just had my second child...first daughter a week ago...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I don't know if you've had daughters...
But, when I was a kid, and with my little cousins, and the kids I babysit, they all naturally take their dolls and try to fake breastfeed them.

Great, then why do little girls need a doll especially made for simulating breastfeeding?

Peace

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Congrats!
Yeah, I'm not saying buy this for a kid and say "Go do this."

But if it's the way that a kid likes to play, get them the toy.

Like, I don't know, I used to put makeup on all my dolls. So my parents bought me one of the ones that is made for that. But you don't just buy one for your kid and say "Here go try putting makeup on it."

I think my little cousin used to "breastfeed" her doll at dinner and stuff. The phase lasted like a month. Kids don't play with toys for very long, anyway. They get tired of them.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Because a company decided it would be a good way to make money?

I have no clue. That's probably it. But technology evolves, you know? Kids used to have to make the fake crying sounds themselves. Now the dolls do it.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I think the bigger question is why do kids need a doll that poos? Seriously... that one is gross, and if they don't put the diaper on right it actually makes a very real mess in the living room.

Now, back to the question at hand...

Realism. Everyone wants something that much better. Baby Alive was the BIG thing back in the day. Every kid wanted the doll that really pooed. Why? I have no clue. I hate that thing. Now, there is something that offers a simulation of feeding a baby properly.

Oh, and if there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding, why would you be upset if your daughter was "tempted to breastfeed in public"?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Take the following scenarios into account.

Scenario #1
Your somewhere in public sitting with your daughter and her doll. She is making gestures that appear to be calming the doll pretending that the baby is crying. A stranger walks up with a play bottle gives it to your daughter and explains that the baby is hungry so she needs to feed it. This seems like an appropriate situation and you thank the stranger for teaching your daughter about feeding the kid.

Scenario #2.
Your somewhere in public sitting with your daughter and her doll. She is making gestures that appear to be calming the doll pretending that the baby is crying. A stranger walks up with a little strap on suit with some stars on it and tells your daughter to put the baby's mouth by her undeveloped chest because the baby is hungry and needs to eat.

Which one would you be more comfortable with?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Trick question. Neither. A stranger should not be talking to my child in the first place. Both of those circumstances would make me feel uncomfortable.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by absconditussapientia

I think if a stranger walks up to you and your child and attempts to play with your child you should get up and leave.

But that might just be me.

I also don't think this toy is meant to be a traveling toy. It's just too bulky. Besides, most kids will probably ditch the chest piece anyway if they decide to take the doll out.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join