It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese teenager beaten to death in internet addiction clinic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Chinese teenager beaten to death in internet addiction clinic

www.timesonline.co.uk

His parents hoped their teenage son would be home in a month, cured of his addiction to the internet. They never thought that within 10 hours of taking him to an addiction clinic they would receive a telephone call notifying them that he was dead.

Deng Senshan, 16, was addicted to playing on the internet, like tens of millions of other young Chinese. He was just the latest teenager to be sent by his parents to one of the clinics being set up across China to cure youngsters of their obsession with online gaming.

His parents took their son to the Guangxi Qihuang Survival Training Camp in southern China on Saturday, paying 7,000 yuan (£605) for a month of treatment. Deng Fei, his father, told supervisors that his son was shy and introverted and they should avoid putting too much pressure on him during the first couple of days. They agreed.

Instead, the boy was placed in solitary confinement shortly after his arrival and then beaten by his trainers who scolded him for running too slowly when he was ordered to go jogging. He was pronounced dead in the early hours of Sunday morning.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

[edit on 2009/8/5 by TLomon]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Wow. Just wow. I would be on a murderous rampage against those alleged "trainors" if this happened to one of my children.

The entire place should be shut down pending an investigation of criminal charges against everyone working there. How could this possible be acceptable?

How many other children were beaten into submission without their parents knowledge before hand? How many children developed severe social disorders as a result, and they never properly attributed them to this place?

Just how many people were affected?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I rather have a son addicted to the internet than send him to a place ran by people addicted to violence.

Ugh.... people have a skewed view of morality.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
wow indeed. Not much else to say other than I hope the idiots in charge of that place get some serious prison time, and I hope those that actually beat a teenager to death get some sort of funky karma whilst being in jail.

May the parents of this poor soul find peace.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

W.O.W.

As a parent I understand their concern about the kids addiction. We simply regulated my kids usage. The parents couldn't do this on their own? Sending the kid to a addiction clinic seems to me to be shucking their responsibility as parents. I'm sorry for their loss but IMHO they could have dealt with this another way.

I also wonder how many other kids were "TREATED" in this manner and can only imagine the emotional and psychological scars left.

Ummm...

Ground the kid and unplug the computer.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Will it EVER stop! EVER!

What is WRONG with the human race!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Why are people outsourcing parenthood?
The parents should be beaten up

Disgusting, I hope they close that rehab center.
I couldn't believe it when I read the headline

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Parents in China can beat their own children. They do not need to pay strangers to do it.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Parents in China can beat their own children. They do not need to pay strangers to do it.

My dad used to beat me up often when I was a kid
taught me discipline!

He did it because he cared about my upbringing.

I am very much for parents being able to physically discipline their kids.

Go to India, look at a teenager there compared to a teenager here
They are worlds apart

As a parent, you will envy the parents of the indian teen
life isn't that complicated

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Damn, that poor kid. LIterally, thier was no excuse for this happen. I never liked special camps like this. Its really sad, oo see almost everyday, what humans are capable of doing ot eachother. Are they going to shut the place down???
I wish the parents had been invovled with weening him the internet. its really a simple answer..remove the computer form his sight,a nd store it somewhere and keep him doing things around the home or with his friends so he gets out more. shame on those in the camp x10. This place sounds like one of those chan gang prisons they used to have in the southwest and south decades ago...fall out of line, and theyde put you in the cooler(small box where you sweat outtta contriol for a few days under a hot sun).

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
yeah. it's garbage like this that makes me feel so hopeless about there ever being Peace.

so sick of it, don't people want to be happy?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Ugh.... people have a skewed view of morality.

Hopefully you’re talking about the people who run the camp, the trainers.

Any of you judging the parents should feel ashamed of yourselves.
They just lost a child and no one here has any what their life is like.

They might have full time jobs, both of them, and can’t be home to police the kid.

Maybe they don’t know enough about computers to block the kid out or he’s a wiz kid and can hack into anything that’s plugged in. What, they supposed to shut off the electricity to the house to keep him from using the computer?

They spent some good solid money to get this kid help and it is so far from their fault (from what little information I have) it’s unreal you people jumping on the parents.

I hope they can find peace, somehow, someday...

peace

EDIT: FIXED and thank you for the heads up.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I believe you are attributing that quote to the wrong person, silo13. However, I did agree with your statements.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Life is cheap in China.

Just like brake pads.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Any of you judging the parents should feel ashamed of yourselves.
They just lost a child and no one here has any what their life is like.

They might have full time jobs, both of them, and can’t be home to police the kid.

I can understand where you are coming from
but if people are just too sensitive to say what needs to be said how can we advance as a society

look at politicians, they keep getting elected because they all say what you want to hear and not what you need to hear, where has that gotten you so far?

Maybe they don’t know enough about computers to block the kid out or he’s a wiz kid and can hack into anything that’s plugged in. What, they supposed to shut off the electricity to the house to keep him from using the computer?

Turn the plug off, hide the computer
Got a car, put it in the trunk until you come back from work

They spent some good solid money to get this kid help and it is so far from their fault (from what little information I have) it’s unreal you people jumping on the parents.

I'm sorry but I cannot agree with you
It is not necessary to consider accountability as just being callous

Nobody should outsource parenthood
And don't give me the daycare or babysitter analogy, that is different from sending a kid to this internet rehab camp

You know when I was a kid, my english teacher had to go on sick leave
so his assistant took over for 2 weeks
when he came back I told him she was a bad teacher and didn't answer anyone's questions.
My teacher replied to me and said "Oh don't say that, that's not nice" in a yelling way.

I said why not? My education has to suffer because I shouldn't be insensitive?

Accountabilty is necessary
If you decide to have a kid then it's your responsibility to take care of him

[edit on 5-8-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What is going to happen? Nothing, the parents lost a child and the government will continue on with their plans.

It's a communist country they do what they want when the want the people be damned.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
And to think- all the kid wanted to do was play video games with his online friends...

What a shame.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Will it EVER stop! EVER!

What is WRONG with the human race!

Yes it will stop - on Judgement Day.

That is when the wheat will be seperated from the chaff.

All we can do until that day is to produce the good fruits of the one whom we serve - The Lord Jesus Christ!

If you do not serve him it will be evident by the fruits you produce.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

- Matthew 11:28-30

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

his father, told supervisors that his son was shy and introverted and they should avoid putting too much pressure on him during the first couple of days.

I'm guessing the staff interpreted this as "mama's boy will need extra abuse right away to purge him of all the coddling he has received over the years."

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This happens every day, everywhere. It's a tragic accident. I'm sure no one set out to kill this kid. Some jerk got too rough and hit him too hard, or the kid was much frailer than he looked. Tragically, he died.

BTW, China is the country in which it is no longer legal to use electroconvulsive therapy ("shock treatment") to treat Internet addiction. Of course, they may also be the only country that tries to treat Internet addiction in the first place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join