It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities stage drill for 'seaborne dirty bomb' in New York

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Authorities stage drill for 'seaborne dirty bomb' in New York

cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNN) — Federal, state and municipal agencies staged an elaborate drill in the waters off New York City on Tuesday to prepare for the possibility of a nuclear or dirty-bomb attack on the city from the water.

“We’re a big city, and there are vulnerabilities,” said Ray Kelly, commissioner of the New York Police Department.

Agencies involved in Tuesday’s test took pains to emphasize that they did not undertake it because of a specific threat against the city. However, Kelly said the city was taking no chances after a proclamation years ago by Osama bin Laden. “We do kn
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
AP sources: Russian subs patrolling off East Coast

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Wow, are they gearing up or what.

This goes hand in hand with the thread about the Russian Nuke Sub off the Eastern Seaboard.

Are we close to invasion? Things seem to be coming to a crescendo.

I believe, people should prepare for the worst. I've got a bad feeling about this. A joint covert operation between the Russian and US military would be scary indeed. Not everyone will be fooled though.

cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Who the hell would invade the United States?

Personally, the only plausible threat threat --at this moment-- to the American people comes from 'within and above', but that is just my opinion.

edit: After rereading your post, you seem to be of the same mind. Unless I read it wrong.

[edit on 8/5/0909 by spines]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Udontknowme

The cnn link story indicates that

“It pays to advertise to a certain extent. We want anyone who would do us harm to know that we’re out there, that we have the capability to detect,” Kelly said.

I wonder why

Eight government agencies participated in the drill, ranging from the NYPD to the U.S. Coast Guard. The exercise took place at the entrance of New York Harbor, just south of the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge linking Staten Island to Brooklyn.
the article wasn't posted until 7:41 PM EST if they wanted our enemies to know we are prepared? It would have made more sense to extensively advertise the drill before the event if that was their intent!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Always good to practicve and prepare for the worest.....

That said, I find it very disturbing, as I see it as being a real possibility.

Scary times, people, scary times.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Udontknowme

Could it have anything to do with the russian subs off of the east coast?

Russian Subs

Who knows such things? obviously not us... at any rate I dont think its likely anything will happen at all. They could be going with the better safe than sorry logic which is pretty fail proof.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by caballero

I don't think so....

Russia won't be dealing with simple dirty bombs....

those subs have nuclear tipped missiles/rockets and torpedo's.....

Now, that said, if you mean it's an excuse to put naval forces in the same area as the two Russian subs..

top topics

join