It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terror Survival Bag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   
What do you think is needed in a terrorist survival bag or a gab-and-go bag???

Mod Edit: All Caps Title.

[edit on 21/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 07:18 PM
link   
A Colt 1911A1 .45 with a couple hundred rounds of good ammo, a few MREs, water filter, buck knife, A good .308 rifle if you have room, a couple hundred $ cash, a plastic garbage bag, a few boxes of matches, and considering the possibility of VX or other assorted nasties, a Level A containment suit with a Scott airpack (butyl rubber, NOT tyvek, too easily penetrated)

A few suggestions anyway.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
If cannot get an SCBA setup, get a full face mask respirator with OVM (Organic Vapor Modules) and a butyl rubber face bank, not the silicone rubber face bank.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
if you plan to get your mask at a suplus store all of those stink. they all have something wrong with them.

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Swiss Army Knife, duct tape, a pen, flashlight, and a Snickers bar!

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
the best tihing to be duing is preaping where you live. stocking food water
wepons ammo.
if you bug out where will you go?how long will a qt of water last, how much food can you carrie. what do you do when you run out?
where will you be sleeping.

stay at home and make your basement if your lucky to have one your
bug out room. you know your area.

you can build it with all you will need and you can keep it sec.

bug out bad. dig in stay put.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
What do you think is needed in a terrorist survival bag or a gab-and-go bag???

I know you are meaning a bag for carrying against terrorists right not the otherway round!? You make it sound a little ambiguous

Anyway, I'd just default and use my BOB (see other thread). The ramifications of terrorist activity could trigger a SITX...

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
OK .. so are you asking about a bug out bag for leaving town after a terrorist attack, or a home Survival kit?

In most situations, it might be far wiser to stay put and not bug out. If that is the case then your needs will be quite different. A bug out bag is for a rapid exit from the area with the appropriate survival gear for a few days. A Stay in Place Survival kit is for getting through the initial mess.

Terrorist attacks thus far have been of the "blow it up" variety and unless you are directly in the blast area, you should be fine staying put. If terrorists manage to set off a dirty bomb, use bio-toxins, or some other new method then your planning needs grow considerably. Covering all the possibilities would require a significant amount of equipment, investment, and time. I refuse to live in fear of an attack as that is what the terrorists want.

The aforementioned SCBA suit would be of very limited use. Their air supply is only good for a very short time. You need a decontamination facility just for getting out of one when it has been used in a bio-hazzard situation, and they take training to use properly. They also cost a small fortune. In the same light, lugging around a bunch of guns and ammo is also of limited use for the weight/space they take up. A pistol would be fine for a deterrent if you so choose. Terrorists don't stick around after they sucker punch you, so there is little need for battle gear and big guns.

Water, food, a good radio for getting information on the situation. Think of it like you are simply weathering out a storm where the power gets knocked out. Oh yeah, a swiss army knife and a snickers bar. That's the best recommendation I have seen thus far.

Unless you are planning for some different scenario, like Zombies, this should be sufficient. It always strikes me as funny when everyone feels the need to grab guns and ammo. Tons of people in NYC have guns and it didn't do anything for them when the towers fell. Rambo is simply a bad movie and not a good thing to emulate.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
Unless you are planning for some different scenario, like Zombies, this should be sufficient. It always strikes me as funny when everyone feels the need to grab guns and ammo. Tons of people in NYC have guns and it didn't do anything for them when the towers fell. Rambo is simply a bad movie and not a good thing to emulate.

Eh, and if a tactical nuclear device was set off during the state of the union adress, or something as instant and simalarly destructive to the ability for the government to govern, then guns would quite possibly be a life saver.

I am possibly the most peace-loving, anti-violance person you could meet. However, a gun, in a SitX situation, is essential; if for nothing else but peace of mind and security.

Not to mention, assuming the infastructure and civility of the country breaks down, it gives you quite an edge in aquiring food...if it gets to be that way.

Also, 9/11 was in no way a SitX situation; bad example.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

911 is a perfect example as it is the largest terrorist attack on a civilian target to ever happen. Ever.

We are not talking about a situation X where civilization comes to an end. There are other threads about that. We are talking about how to prepare for a terrorist created disaster event.

Terrorists attack in order to create fear. They do not invade with armies to take over, rather they hit like cowards and then run away. Having guns will do you little good if a mall or bridge near you gets blown up, or if your water supply gets poisoned. A gun wont protect you from a dirty bomb or bio-hazard event. The only thing a gun will do for you is help you shoot civilians, as the terrorists will be long gone. I have nothing against guns when they serve a useful purpose. A gun can be useful as a deterrent, but we are not talking about the end of civilization, just a disaster event. In a disaster event, food, water, shelter and access to information are your most important needs.

How many civilian mobs did you see running around with guns after the 911 attack, the first World trade tower bombing in 1993, the 1995 Oklahoma city bombing, the 2001 anthrax attacks?????

None.

On the contrary, after 911 there was a huge up swelling of national pride and neighborhood cooperation. People from all over the world donated their time, money and materials to help out. There was no breakdown of civilization as we do not give in to the fear that the terrorists wish to create. We stand together.

All the thousands of people trying to get home after 911 would have been far better served with water, a radio, and a snickers bar, than a gun.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Oh, haha. I don't think we are talking about quite the same thing here.

I took the thread to mean the aftermath of a hypothetical major attack which would leave you and I in a survival type situation. In such a situation, guns would seem, to me, to be essential.

If the thread is supposed to be about terror attacks like we are 'used to' (god, thats such a terrible thing to have to say), then you have a very good point.

Sorry for the confusion and all that. Thanks for the good reply.

edit to add:

Originally posted by Terapin

911 is a perfect example as it is the largest terrorist attack on a civilian target to ever happen. Ever.

Let's not forget what we and our buddies across the pond did to Dresden...that terrorist attack was a bit larger (over 20,000).

[edit on 9/21/0808 by spines]

top topics

join