It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Souless Pet Food Industry - Save our pets!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

You couldn't be more wrong!

It's a shame anyone would even try to defend this industry? It's even worse that so many people have starred your false claims seeing how easy it is to verify what the truth is? Too lazy to even care! Just enough effort to find a statement that's palatable regardless of whether it's true or not.

I can only hope you're regurgitation of lies is related to your involvement in this industry, not complete ignorance and total lack of sense? If the former, shame on you, if the latter there's no hope for you anyway? Either way, do you people not remember the pet food recall? It happened only recently? Is this what happens in a "heavily regulated" industry? Are you really this incredibly dimwitted?

www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com...

Rendering plants process decomposing animal carcasses, large roadkill and euthanised dogs and cats into a dry protein product that is sold to the pet food industry. One small plant in Quebec, Ontario, renders 10 tons (22,000 pounds) of dogs and cats per week. The Quebec Ministry of Agriculture states that "the fur is not removed from dogs and cats" and that "dead animals are cooked together with viscera, bones and fat at 115° C (235° F) for 20 minutes".

The US Food and Drug Administration's Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is aware of the use of rendered dogs and cats in pet foods, but has stated: "CVM has not acted to specifically prohibit the rendering of pets. However, that is not to say that the practise of using this material in pet food is condoned by the CVM."

Some of these dead pets - those euthanised by veterinarians - already contain pentobarbital before treatment with the denaturing process. According to University of Minnesota researchers, the sodium pentobarbital used to euthanise pets "survives rendering without undergoing degradation". Fat stabilisers are introduced into the finished rendered product to prevent rancidity. Common chemical stabilisers include BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) - both known to cause liver and kidney dysfunction - and ethoxyquin, a suspected carcinogen. Many semi-moist dog foods contain propylene glycol - first cousin to the anti-freeze agent, ethylene glycol, that destroys red blood-cells. Lead frequently shows up in pet foods, even those made from livestock meat and bone meal. A Massachusetts Institute of Technology study, titled "Lead in Animal Foods", found that a nine-pound cat fed on commercial pet food ingests more lead than the amount considered potentially toxic for children.

Despite the appealing blandishments of pet food advertisements with their claims of providing "complete and balanced nutrition," if you're not exceedingly circumspect, you may end up feeding your pet chicken heads, road kills, spoiled or moldy grains, cancerous material cut from slaughterhouse animals, tissue high in hormone or pesticide residues, and even shredded Styrofoam packaging, metal ID tags and minced flea collars.

A growing number of veterinarians state that processed pet food (kibbles and canned food) is the main cause of illness and premature death in the modern dog and cat. In December 1995, the British Journal of Small Animal Practice published a paper contending that processed pet food supresses the immune system and leads to liver, kidney, heart and other diseases. Dr. Kollath, of the Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm, headed a study done on animals. When young animals were fed cooked and processed foods they initially appeared to be healthy. However, as the animals reached adulthood, they began to age more quickly than normal and also developed chronic degenerative disease symptoms. A control group of animals raised on raw foods aged less quickly and were free of degenerative disease.

The Following Practices are Used by Some Pet Food Manufacturer:

POOR PROTEIN SOURCES
Soybean Meal, Wheat, Corn Glutens, Corn Meal, Whole Corn, Crushed Corn and Ground Corn are commonly used for their protein content in many pet foods. These ingredients are generally poor sources of protein vs. meat.

CHEMICAL PRESERVATIVES
BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin are found in many pet foods. Scientific studies have proven that these chemicals can be harmful. In fact, they have been shown to promote liver disease and other medical problems.

FOOD COLORING
Food colorings are still commonly used in pet foods today despite the fact that they are not necessary and some have been linked to medical problems.

BY-PRODUCTS
By-products can vary ... they can consist of the internal parts of animals such as necks, heads, undeveloped eggs, feet, intestines, lungs, spleen and liver.

WHAT LABELS DON'T REVEAL
Condemned parts and animals rejected for human consumption can be rerouted into commercial pet foods. These condemned parts are referred to as the 4 D's: dead, dying, diseased or decayed. We believe this is one of the most despicable practices in the pet food manufacturing industry.

Some manufacturers have a lower standard regarding the quality of ingredients they use to make pet food. A recent example of this practice is the discovery of Pentobarbital in major pet foods, including supermarket brands. Pentobarbital is a chemical used to euthanize animals. Many holistic veterinarians feel that daily ingestion of pentobarbital can be harmful.

Many manufacturers cut costs by using the cheapest ingredients available at the time a food is made. Since costs rise and fall, some manufacturers will vary ingredients from batch to batch .. resulting in changed nutrient values for each batch and possible digestive illness.

Some manufacturers have lower standards regarding the freshness of ingredients they use to make pet food. You can not determine the freshness of ingredients by reading a label; you must trust the pet food manufacturer.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundancer
Star and flag, great post. We don't have any faith in the pet food companies since all the pets were poisoned a few years ago. As so many others, we have our dogs on the raw diet also and they're doing fantastic.

Thank you, Sundancer!

Glad to hear about healthy animals and caring owners. Some posters above seem to think pet food recalls were a hoax, seeing how "heavily regulated" the system is? What's weird is even at a conspiracy site this FACT is met with controversy?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloakndagger
It's not in the interest of dog food manufacturers for pets to get sick. This means a recall and a big chunk of money taken off of profits.

Well, there was a recall recently.

The only thing pet food manufacturers are interested in are profits! If you find it hard to believe this just do a little research? There's the massive recall due to all the poisonings. Congressional hearings have been recorded. There are many lawsuits to peruse. Then there's the basic fact that we ourselves are being bombarded with toxins delivered by food, imagine the animals?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
flag, and many stars. synchronicity? I was contemplating this doing this very thread, and had been encouraging my wife as well, but I'm glad we didn't. You did a much more thorough job

We've got all of our dogs on the BARF diet now. We had one baby which was diagnosed with Sarcoma, and we feared the worst........ From a couple months expected left in his life, to now over 6 months, stronger, and healthier than ever before.

I think it is a diabolic plot to kill people's loved animals.

It accomplishes many goals. For example, the last time the tainted pet food came out, there were several suicides due to people not being able to handle the death of their beloved family member......... I see that as being deliberate to break the spirit of many many good people out there.

Another clincher people don't see is in order to train an animal, especially a guardian, takes a couple years. This in essence means that any guard dogs lost from the last purposeful tainting are just now possibly able to replace the 'quality' of the animal, and this time I'll bet the people, and new animal are stronger than ever; because they are probably on a BARF diet as well.

For anyone interested BARF=bones and raw food

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Thanks for the kind words and support. Whatever the reason for creating these very real situations happens to be, one thing is certain, it needs to stop! The mindset that this cannot happen is the very thing allowing it to continue. Change the mindset and you begin to address the problem. As long as there are those willing to believe this impossible, the longer this will go on unexposed.

Thanks again! I'm adding you as a friend to me, as well as a much needed friend to causes such as this. Never stop fighting for what's right!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
thanx for the thread.
i usually do try and make my own dogfood for my maggie, but sometimes when traveling or working it's tough.
this is about the only brand i trust, and will feed her.
wholefoods 365 brand dog food.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

Change the mindset and you begin to address the problem. As long as there are those willing to believe this impossible, the longer this will go on unexposed. Thanks again! I'm adding you as a friend to me, as well as a much needed friend to causes such as this. Never stop fighting for what's right!

Hey, I hadn't felt like really posting, or writing much today, and I saw what you wrote above; inspirational! Thanks.

We travel all over with our dogs. They are trained rescue dogs. They also serve as our guardians; our protector's.

We've ensured their safety through 8 countries, and we in turn ensure their's; via BARF, and general care.

As you say,"Never stop fighting for what's right!"

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

Yes, we use Wellness also, just the grain free ones though.
I didn't mention this in my previous post, but my boy became incontinent so we took him to the vet and had a complete work up. The vet said he was in perfect health and that perhaps he had accidentally taken one my girl's steroid pills ( she has to take them every day due to vaccinations causing her spleen to eat up all her platelets) Well, we knew this was not possible, so I started researching possible causes. Come to find out, grain was causing incontinence in other pit bulls due an allergic reaction. Yep, that was the cause. We took them off grain, and haven't had a problem since. Wellness is great food, and I really trust them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join