It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judgment me not...!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Depending on the era you grew up in, tolerances to differences have varied greatly.

Stereotyping is the most common way to pre-judge an individual, be it, racial, cultural, gender based or otherwise.

We all make pre-judgments based on either our own experiences or the experiences of those who influence us the most.

On a subconscious level, a certain degree of intuition comes in to play when you first meet someone.

Gender � Male/Female/Homosexual/Bi-sexual/Tran-sexual
Skin colour � Asian, African, Caucasian�etc
Hair colour and type � Blonde, Black, Ginger, Curly Straight�etc
Height � Short, Tall, Average?
Weight � Under, Over, Average?
Disabilities � Glasses, Hearing Aids, Wheelchairs�etc
Accent � Language.
Fashion � The clothing that is worn.

As I said before, depending on the era in which you grew up certain attributes have been more acceptable than others.

When I meet someone who resembles a person I have previously encountered, I tend to slot them into the category I assigned to the person they resemble. This tends to be a category where I feel comfortable with the individual or vice versa. This is not to say that that is where they will remain, but it is down to them to prove me wrong on my judgment.

I, myself, tend to be judged a great deal when I first meet someone and few tend to warm to me without further interaction. The majority of individuals tend to be unsure of me and a little offish to say the least.

Due to my experiences as a child I am a person who seldom openly shows his emotions, I probably give off an aura which warns people to not get too close and not to ask too many questions.

I believe that depending on your childhood and adolescent experiences with other individuals, you will make judgment calls on individuals who may not deserve to be categorised, for better or worse.

How much you address this is down to interaction with those who defy your pre-judgmental rules.

I have to admit that around 80% of my judgment calls have been spot on, but believe that this is because I read a great deal more about a person than what I consciously realise.

This is where my intuitive skills come into play. I have watched from the sidelines for many years without making comment, thousands upon thousands of individuals, and as this has gone on, so I have increased the amount of categories I place individuals into, thus honing my skills.

Had I not been bullied in the first six years of my schooling life, I tend to believe I would never have thought twice on this matter.

I ask that you share your own experiences on these matters, or offer some insight into pre-judgment and intuition.

Or at least think carefully about how you draw your conclusions about another.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
judge me not, and i will not judge thee. i never judge anyone because i don�t like to be judged. i have never found one person who even came close to judging me correctly on appearance alone. to know someone a little bit you have to chat with them a little bit and even then you are just scratching the surface. no i judge no one. sub consciously though yes i do get feelings about people, which helps me to beware of some as there are some real nastys out there, but for me most of the time its live and let live.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
As I mentioned before Kode, you will not intentionally make a judgment, you WILL do it unintentionally.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
ahh judgement, an interesting tool, and interesting post this is i might add. its kinda along the lines of what i've been thinking recently. could one say that judgement in it self is a defence system for ones safety? actually that probably was obvious, we somehow think we need to classify what is benificial for us and what is not, even though this filtering can be biased based on ones upbringing. interesting nonetheless. i still think, perhaps on an instinctual level, it is one of the greatest traits we share with animals. for example, by smacking an animal, it automatically judges you, places you in a category that creates fear/hostility between itself and you or anything else with similar traits attached to the senses, ie smell, sight. i personally think that judgement, now a days, even though its almost impossible to say that you dont judge, may be efficient for survival in evolutionary terms, but pretty insufficient in other terms, ie spiritual, if your into that, if not, then philosophical as a term will suffice. because judgement is based on information gathered by the basic senses, does that still make it reliable, in a simple way, yes. in others, not so much. i could bring up the whole "what is real?" Q but i wont, you all know that #e. what i will say though is, that since all judgement is personal, whos to say whos right and wrong in this world. in an absolute sense i mean. what i do mean is all judgement, which defines right and wrong, is personal, not absolute. dont get me wrong, there are general groups of people who feel the same about certain things, but if there were absolute right and wrongs, no one would commit so called wrongs, because they would not feel the need to. what kind of creator would create being who could not sense its laws? ok i know i jsut swung way off topic..kinda, but in a way i havent, in a way, ive opened this thread to more discussion, have i not? i for one know i've already been judged for posting this. people who read it will not agree, and some might, partially if anything. we all shape our selves using each other (ie; judgements). the question here is who can simply just shape one's self?

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   

As I mentioned before Kode, you will not intentionally make a judgment, you WILL do it unintentionally.

Here's my take: in order to interact with people you must judge them so you can respond intelligently. But always be ready to revise those judgments should new information present itself.

i too was a very queit child who had few friends and listened and looked, rather than interacted with my peers. Humans are too quick to judge and too quick to set those judgments in stone.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Good call, I judge that you don't like using paragraphs or capital letters.

I initially wanted to point out how peoples behavior patterns develop, and that based on there experiences, certain people will behave in a certain manner because of the way they look.

In my junior school, during the seventies, kids who wore glasses would have been called four-eyes, black or Asian kids would have been racially tormented, obesity, body odour, wealth, all things you maybe ridiculed for.

Have more than one of these attributes and your chances of daily ridicule increase.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
i don�t believe that i judge unintentionally. when i meet someone i meet them and that�s it. although like i said sense things yes sometimes i do. i don�t think an animal judges you if you smack it. it might sense danger, but judge? to be totally honest with you i just don�t like the words judge judgement judged judgemental. theses words can be dangerous. intuition and senses, make sense to me.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It is my belief that all people judge, intentionally or unintentionally. If you do it intentionally and are willing to vocalise your judgment, you will find it harder to change your judgment. If however you do this unintentionally, and this is an area that you have little control over, you tend not to voice this judgment as this is a pending decision, as mentioned by deafence#, this is where intuition comes in to being.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Koka

glad you liked that piece of info from a little thing called me head. i actually was kinda tired when i wrote it and just re-read it to remember what was going on in here. yeah, i aint so much a fan of CAPS, though i'd say im ok with paragraphs sometimes. either way, you got the point.

i actually think i branched off into a few topics there. but back to judgement, i suppose, perposefully judging isn't the best way to go around it. i somewhat firmly believe that people judge in negative ways due to personal insecurities, that or their just an asshole. but judgements can be good and useful when made through intuition, rather than the concious mind. its the subconcious judgements that are usually alright, though what is repeated conciously naturally tends to slide into a subconcious habit, or pattern. thats why its important to always be aware of any judgements you make, and evaluate them to a point where you can decide that it is or isnt for you.

new topics

top topics

join