It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines ban Twitter, Facebook, other sites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Marines ban Twitter, Facebook, other sites

www.cnn.com

The U.S. Marine Corps has banned Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and other social media sites from its networks, effective immediately.
The Marine Corps fears that social media sites such as Facebook could pose a security risk.

The Marine Corps fears that social media sites such as Facebook could pose a security risk.

"These internet sites in general are a proven haven for malicious actors and content and are particularly high risk..."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Surprised this hasn't hit ATS yet. Logically it makes sense to me but on a personal level it bothers me a little bit. I understand that it makes sense not to have such a potential likely information leak like unwitting soldiers posting on their MySpaces. On a personal level it bothers me that it's a suppression of information. Let's not forget that a revolution recently happened in large part due to Twitter. I'm interested to get ATS's take on this.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The difference between Iran and the United States Army are well pronounced.

Iran's media was being suppressed and censored

Soldiers volunteer to join the Army. They can leave when they please but until then they follow the guidelines set by their superiors.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
It makes perfect sense to me.

Normally I would be in line calling out the military industrial complex for suppressing information, but this seems like standard security protocol to me.

Anybody can log onto facebook or myspace and see what's posted there, unless the information is set to 'private'. It seems like a more efficient method of securing vital information to simply ban active service members from using these sites, rather than to individually monitor every single one for possible security leaks.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The U.S. Marine Corps is not a democracy

They are well within their right to regulate it's usage.
Just like writing traditional letters certain topics will be censored.

Enough said.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by soultorent
The difference between Iran and the United States Army are well pronounced.

Iran's media was being suppressed and censored

Soldiers volunteer to join the Army. They can leave when they please but until then they follow the guidelines set by their superiors.

The fact you use the word "superiors" just screams that you are brainwashed.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

A proper chain of command is crucial to the effective operation of any organization. How you chose to describe those with more authority than you is a moot point, they must be respected regardless. And as has been pointed out, the military is not a democracy. We are here to preserve it, not to practice it.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I don't see any problem with this. Screw those sites anyways I never trusted those sites, so many people on them put so much of themselves out there for anyone to read.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

A proper chain of command is crucial to the effective operation of any organization. How you chose to describe those with more authority than you is a moot point, they must be respected regardless. And as has been pointed out, the military is not a democracy. We are here to preserve it, not to practice it.

Yeah, perhaps I am overreacting. Now, if the US government blocked the sites to CIVILIANS, that would be a totally different story!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   

the military is not a democracy. We are here to preserve it, not to practice it.

Republic.

You are Here to Preserve the Constitutional Republic...

[SNIP]

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Exuberant1]

Mod Edit: Civility and Decorum are Required

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

I agree with you!I do myspace but have been pestered into joining facebook recently.Cant stand that site,all the pokes and invites and sharing infomation to accept them!I log on there a couple of times a month to reply to mail,and thats about it

wont even bother with twitter,myspace and ATS are hassle free

Concerning the thread-yeahh I can see security issues when soldiers do blogs but there must be a way round this.To a lot of our boys out there these sites must be a great way to comunicate with old mates easily and share photos of thier lives.It has to be a welcome break from the normal day job out there!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Calm down it will be ok just because they called it a republic and not a Constitutional republic
I don't see the need to call someone an idiot.

And it is not like they banned it from there homes or barracks just at work.

one last thought

“I pledge allegiance to my flag and therepublic for which it stands: one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.”

Notice it does not say Constitutional republic? Hmmm perhaps you should send an email to the government telling them they got there own pledge wrong.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by SPC_D]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

The Constitutional Republic is not a term used to describe a method of action or a course of conduct. It's a framework to promote and facilitate the practice of democracy. As such, don't get hung up on semantics.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by noangels
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

I agree with you!I do myspace but have been pestered into joining facebook recently.Cant stand that site,all the pokes and invites and sharing infomation to accept them!I log on there a couple of times a month to reply to mail,and thats about it

wont even bother with twitter,myspace and ATS are hassle free

Concerning the thread-yeahh I can see security issues when soldiers do blogs but there must be a way round this.To a lot of our boys out there these sites must be a great way to comunicate with old mates easily and share photos of thier lives.It has to be a welcome break from the normal day job out there!

Yeah I agree they need some way to keep in touch with friends. Me personally I'm a marine and was in Iraq a few years ago and I just used email and stuff, I could have used myspace and facebook back then but I was never into those sites, I guess I'm paranoid lol. But I understand a lot of people prefer myspace and stuff. Also if they really want to use these sites they will find a way around it probably.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I think that the Marines are brainwashed into accepting their government's every order, and these sites might clue them up that that is not a good idea.

Or not - just a feeling I have that the government needs to control the Marines.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

the military is not a democracy. We are here to preserve it, not to practice it.

Republic.

Idiots.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Exuberant1]

See if the military doesn't understand this, what makes anyone think they understand how they're being used by the elite to further their agenda. How do you get someone to think killing defenseless brown people is saving the world? I see the same exact lines and talking points repeated without thought (a function of the training). They are being cut off from the popular psyche, basically turning our own troops into foreign troops.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Loose lips can sink ships. I think that about sums up the mentality that justifies the action. The last thing they need is sensitive information about troop movements etc being broadcast on those websites where anyone can see them. So I think it's reasonable to ban them. Especially twitter.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Or it is a measure that they employed AT WORK to keep people on task.

Notice I said AT WORK because that is where these sites are band not in the individual homes.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Don't be childish.

The military isn't a nine to five job and it's not a social network. Things are different in the military and it isn't brainwashing.

The term superiors has been used to denote others of a higher rank for hundreds of years.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
That really doesn't surprise me. You can't risk a soldier mistakenly posting sensitive material on the web for all to see.

I'm sure they have their reasons for making this decision.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join