It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV for PC Monitor Question...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I just recently bought a 42in HD, 1080p TV and I have it hooked up as my main monitor. That way I can switch back and forth between TV and ATS...

My wife inherited my 24in HD Monitor..

My question is this...

Will it harm the TV to run it as a PC Monitor ?

I know absolutely nothing about monitors and TVs...

Thanks in advance...

Semper

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

It shouldn't, I know my 42 inch sony HD is configured to run as a pc moniter also. The remote has a pc button and the back has a hook up that says pc moniter.

If your pc hook up to your tv without any adapters then you should be fine. If you still are a little wary then you can always check out your instruction manual.

Found a bonehead mistake.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by jd140]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

No, it should be fine. So long as you have your PC set to a resolution that your TV can handle. Even if you set it out of range, it should still be fine.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I have had no problems at all running a 15 in, monitor and a 37 in, TV. from my HP laptop. just drag my movies from either my laptop to one monitor or to the TV
I like the setup Windows 7 has for this.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Semper, are you saying you are drivng the tv with the onboard video of your laptop???

If that is the case, STOP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you will do in quickly fasion is distroy your video on the laptop.

I am not kidding or over blowing the situation one bit.

If you are running the tv from a desktop, make sure the "add in" videocard is powerful enough to drive the 42 inch tv.

FEEL FREE TO U2U ME OR REPLY IN THIS THREAD.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Can you provide some links that support this? This is the first I have heard of it.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Well, I had to replace the motehrboard of a laptop for a client that tried to do the same thing.

It puts far too much strain for an "onboard" video chipset.

It may run for a buit, but you "WILL" get premature videosystem failure.

Karl, it is your laptop and you are free to use and abuse it as you see fit.
(I just don't want to hear it when the video fails)

That said, I felt the need to warn the O.P. of the dangers.

Semper can choose to take my advise or ignore it at his laptops risk.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Laptops fail all the time. Just because you had one fail in these circumstances doesn't necessarily mean that it was the cause. I am not saying it is or it isn't. I am just saying that this is the first that I have heard of this. So, if it is really the case, there is bound to be some supporting documentation out there.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If it is plasma I would recommend against it. Plasma still has memory effect problems, and the degauss needed to clear burnt in images decreases the life of the TV. If it's LCD then go for it.

Note.... Plasma's that have a game mode built in can help reduce these effects on plasma's.

An airport near me re-did there software for flights that was projected on plasmas throughout the airport, and noticed that the old menu was burnt into all the screens. Short term use should have minimal effect on it though.

new topics

top topics

join