It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I, a U.S. citizen, was arrested by a U.S. Border Patrol Agent today

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
In a small town a couple towns over from my residence, called Barre, Massachusetts, they use this tactic all the time.

If you are pulled over, and are a kid (or anyone they think looks like an undesirable), they will immediately call the K9 car to come and take the dog for a walk around your car (it turns a 10 minute stop into a 60+ minute stop, waiting for the K9 unit).

If the dog barks while circling your car, it's an automatic warrant for search & seizure.

Sucks, but it's happening all over the place

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
In the 1970s we went to Juarez thru El Paso. Border Patrol was not just checking for illegal immigrants as the OP insists, they were looking for food items, and other things that couldn't be brought over. My parents(American Citzens)brought back a wrought iron plant stand into the US and they were questioned about that....

To assert that border patrol is only for immigration is just not true.

If you play like an adult, you have to accept the consequences as an adult, not hide behind the loss of some kind of rights.

And I would have to agree...California would not be a step up right now...not until they get some more $$$....CA is probably a wave of the future for the rest of us in my opinion, but that is another topic.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Worse things going on in the UK. Must be something to do with the politics of fear and the English speaking world eyeing up fascism for size.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Originally posted by Merigold
reply to post by jd140

What you and several posters don't yet understand is that a criminal has rights too.

You do not give up your citizenship by committing a crime. The constitution is not void if you chose to commit a crime.

In our society the biggest danger is the persausiveness of the following two sentences.

If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.

It's for your own good and/or safety.

Thanks to the OP for confirming yet again what a dismal place America is fast becoming. I might add with the full consent and support of most Americans.

They did nothing that was illegal. The OP was the one who broke the law, detained,searched, ticketed and released.

Then he comes on ATS claiming that he was arrested, which he wasn't and that makes wonder what other tidbits he embellished.

He was treated the same way all criminals are treated. Then like a typical criminal he comes here and whines about how he was treated unfairly even though he was wrong.

JD, you can be placed under arrest and ticketed and released right away. it's a way to make the process go quicker.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

What a tool!

Glad to see you are so open-minded and willing to discuss this with those that may not agree with you. I mean, are you serious?? You publish your post and story on this site for all to see. Did you think that everyone would tell you how bad you had it and that they feel bad for you 'cause those mean men weren't nice? Get a grip. Regardless of my view on w33d, you had it, got busted, now deal with it as an adult.

You would be the same guy that thought, "I totally got past those BP guys with my weed and they never had any idea... Suckers".

And I did read the article before your open-mindedness rears its ugly head again.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Something that hasn't been brought up is this checkpoint is a permanent checkpoint which has been there since atleast 2007. So its not like they justed popped up a checkpoint in the middle of the road some where. And the op new he was going through the checkpoint and decided he could take drugs through it because he was a US citizen.

Border Patrol Agents Seize Drugs at Checkpoint

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Yuma, Ariz. - U.S. Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol agents conducting traffic inspection duties at a checkpoint about 15 miles east of Yuma on Interstate 8 seized narcotics in separate incidents Tuesday.

The first incident occurred about 1:30 p.m. when a man and woman, both U.S. citizens, entered the checkpoint. During routine questioning agents became suspicious and referred the vehicle for further inspection. Consent to search the vehicle was granted and a Border Patrol K-9 team conducted a non-intrusive search. During the search, the canine alerted agents to the possible presence of narcotics. A detailed search of the vehicle and occupants revealed a minimal amount of marijuana and methamphetamine, as well as narcotics paraphernalia.

A records check of the individuals revealed the woman has six prior drug offenses including a 2005 felony conviction for which she served 180 days in jail and is currently on probation. Yuma County Task Force officials responded took both individuals into custody before citing the man and releasing him with the vehicle.

The second incident also occurred at the checkpoint about 1:30 p.m. when a U.S. man driving a rental vehicle was caught with more than 650 doses of controlled prescription medication. During routine questioning, agents became suspicious and requested consent to search the man’s vehicle. During the inspection, a K-9 alerted agents to the possible presence of narcotics on the driver. A search of the man revealed plastic bags containing 660 pills taped to his leg beneath his clothing.

The pills are identified as Soma, a muscle relaxer; Benzodiazepine, a sleeping medication which has several uses including treating anxiety and preventing seizures; and Aldrazolam, also known as Xanax, which is also used to treat anxiety.

A records check of the man revealed a prior conviction for marijuana possession. The driver and the contraband were turned over to the Yuma County Task Force for further action and the vehicle was returned to the rental company.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control, and protection of our Nation's borders at and between the official ports of entry. CBP is charged with keeping terrorists and terrorist weapons out of the country while enforcing hundreds of U.S. laws.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
don't have drugs in your car and you won't get arrested. if you have drugs in your car then you are asking to be arrested, it's the law.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

That right there is a prime example of someone jumping to the last page of the thread, reading two lines and then posting. GO BACK AND READ THE WHOLE DEAL.

You have NO IDEA what you're talking about man

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Wow, so far, you have done NOTHING to contribute to this thread. You're idiocy is running rampant and all you're doing is calling this gentleman a lair over and over and over.

Yes, it is VERY possible to be arrested and not detained for a period of time. I know it because it's happened to close friends of mine. The were arrested, read their rights, given a summons and court date and sent on their way.

You sitting there saying "he's a liar' is a prime example of ignorance (something we attempt to deny on here) and is doing nothing to help this thread.

You're clearly unaware of the laws, don't understand the situation and have a CLEAR prejudice toward anyone who may consume ANY FORM of "drug". Why don't you leave this conversation to people who understand what the OP is talking about.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
So if they are finding that drug trafficking is increasing, and bad elements are heading both directions with drugs and guns, that they do NOT have the right nor the reason to have a dog sniff out cars?

Hate to break it to you, but the world does not revolve around you. Their intentions may have nothing to do with small drug infractions, or whatever it is you had in your vehicle. But if they catch small fish, they can't ignore them. They of course are going to detain and fine you.

Mexico is rife with drug cartels, trafficking, murder, you name it. It's funny how double-standard everything is. Law enforcement has the DUTY to protect citizens. To curtail drug dealers from giving your kids fixes, dealing guns, and so on... BUT... if it's your personal little stash, they have no right to search for that or prosecute.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Whether or not you had illegal drugs isn't the point, and several people seem to be missing that point.

I hope you fight this all the way to the supreme court. You, as an American Citizen, are protected by the Fourth Amendment from unreasonable searches and seizures.

And THAT is exactly what these checkpoints are.

It doesn't get more constitutional than that. They are searching a citizen who hasn't crossed any international borders for NO REASON ("unreasonable"). Therefore, the search was illegal and they are not allowed to use anything they find during the search as a reason to prosecute.

Consider your arrest a challenge, and accept that challenge. Take them all the way to the Supreme Court, my brother.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by c3hamby

If you play like an adult, you have to accept the consequences as an adult, not hide behind the loss of some kind of rights.

Hide behind the loss of some kind of rights? Whoa what? The revocation of our rights is a MAJOR issue here. It's not an excuse and the OP is not using it that way. Maybe we should take your free speech rights away or maybe your right to bear arms if you feel they are just "some kind of rights".

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

How are they to decide if a person has crossed the border or not US citizens also cross the border not just Mexicans.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Oh, we're broke too. That's why Yuma is pulling this crap. I have always wanted to live in San Diego though.

No its not. Its because of Public Outcry of drugs coming across the Mexican border.

If I wanted to go all conspiracy - - I'd ask: who is generating the national panic of "Look Here (Mexican border) - don't Look somewhere else".

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565

. . . and another thing they sometimes do is they nudge the collar when they get closer and the dog goes bark ravin´ mad because they beleive somethings wrong.

Actually - I'm pretty sure I know why I was targeted. My grandson (19 mo) was in the back seat in his car seat and had a baby quilt over his head (we were driving directly into the sun). They wanted to see what was under the quilt.

The only thing they questioned me about was the child.

I can look at this a couple different ways. I choose "they were protecting the child".

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Whether or not you had illegal drugs isn't the point, and several people seem to be missing that point.

Amen to that. I knew there would be a stream of "do-gooders" who jumped on to tell me what a loser I am, that's why I asked not to make it about drugs, but they of course will say it's my fault, etc. This is about ONE county in the nation where the Border Patrol is given special powers, above those granted to them regularly, to TARGET all vehicles for search, regardless of suspicion of illegal immigration. I've gone through the checkpoint SEVERAL times, and they have NEVER targeted American citizens, and I never thought I got anything by them, I just thought they were doing their jobs, looking for illegal immigrants. They are FEDERAL goddamn agents knowingly searching US citizens as they travel IN the U.S. I don't care to debate my wrongdoing, if i was pulled over for doing something stupid, and the cop had a reason to search, I would understand it was the chance I took. But this is ATS, the ONLY thing I intended to discuss, was the violation of the CONSTITUTION, not feeling sorry for myself.

Another interesting piece from the article...

Normally, a police officer is allowed to pull over a motorist only if a traffic violation (anything from erratic driving to a busted tail light) is observed. Then, the officer has probable cause to, say, shine a flashlight into the car to look for illicit drugs.

Though there was no such probable cause in the Yuma County pot cases, the Border Patrol is exempted from that requirement by the Supreme Court, as noted earlier in this story.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by 27jd]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
don't have drugs in your car and you won't get arrested. if you have drugs in your car then you are asking to be arrested, it's the law.

It isn't about the drugs, it's about being illegally searched.

Learn to read, please.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Haha don't be mad because you got busted. They have the authority to stop anyone coming into our borders that's what they are there for. And yes the checkpoint is legal. Once they verify your citizenship they send you on your way; however if you are dumb enough to be doing something illegal they can detain you. Normally they call the local law enforcement to deal with you. But if they have been deputized then they are legally local law enforcement get over it, it works both ways they have local law enforcement backing immigration law everywhere.

Just because you are a citizen doesn't mean you can bring whatever you want in the country.
It not any different than if you had brought the drugs in by plane and were at an airport. It makes me smile that you think their job is to just deal with immigrants...they are border agents they deal with everyone.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Everwatcher33]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Everwatcher33
Haha don't be mad because you got busted. They have the authority to stop anyone coming into our borders that's what they are there for. And yes the checkpoint is legal. Once they verify your citizenship they send you on your way; however if you are dumb enough to be doing something illegal they can detain you. Normally they call the local law enforcement to deal with you. But if they have been deputized then they are legally local law enforcement get over it, it works both ways they have local law enforcement backing immigration law everywhere.

Just because you are a citizen doesn't mean you can bring whatever you want in the country.
It not any different than if you had brought the drugs in by plane and were at an airport. It makes me smile that you think their job is to just deal with immigrants...they are border agents they deal with everyone.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Everwatcher33]

Did you bother to read anything before posting?

It is not legal to search without cause. Period.

Learn to read, please.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Everwatcher33
They have the authority to stop anyone coming into our borders that's what they are there for.

Oh, you seem to be misunderstanding, this wasn't at a border with mexico, this was the interstate, between california and arizona, i would completely expect to be searched coming back into the U.S. from mexico, that's just a given. But I was never out of the country.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by 27jd]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join