I, a U.S. citizen, was arrested by a U.S. Border Patrol Agent today

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2- 7jd
That still doesn't take away from the fact that the checkpoint is unconstitutional, IMO.

I went through 4 checkpoints in 5 hours. A dog tagged me at one of them. Which I now realize is because my grandson had a quilt over his head (driving into the sun). In reading I learned the dogs are trained to alert for any person who might be hiding. Relying on percentage of times you weren't stopped is not really a reasonable argument - which I am sure you know.

I think it is reasonable to assume - if the Border Patrol uses dogs - they can and will be used at any time or place. I don't see where anything is being done secretly or unlawfully. There is something called "protecting the masses" - which is what I put this under - not violating the constitution.

They are annoying & unnerving - plus they slow down traffic. But - I don't really have a problem with their purpose - YET!

I equate the increase mostly to public pressure.

However - who exactly is fueling the alarm and why.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Holy crap. You're right, WTF do we even have a border patrol for? .09%? Way to go guys, you've effectively stopped a few would be Applebee's dishwashers from getting into the country, at the expense of billions of taxpayer dollars, which you use to arrest far more of those very same taxpayers, than illegal immigrants. Sounds like a great gig.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by 27jd]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Out of curiosity. Where you handcuffed? How long were you detained? Did the agent ever place his hands on you?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Cant do math care to try again? Now i see why you were detained. I told you if you had been smart we wouldnt be having this conversation.Try moving the decimal point.

Oh and just so you know that is the total number of immagrants in the country they all didnt cross the border last year come on man!

[edit on 8/7/09 by dragonridr]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Oh ok. My mistake. I saw 2008 stats. What is your source on this?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by harvib

I was not handcuffed. I was not frisked. I came into no physical contact with anybody. Like I said, once the search was complete, they helped me load my belongings back up, we walked back to the trailer where i was given a citation with my court date, and i was hurried back on my way. I think they are pretty certain they are not dealing with dangerous people, they weren't in the least bit interested if i was packing heat. Usually police seem uneasy and untrusting of people, especially those they bust for drugs. Not the case here.

edit: you asked how long i was detained, i think it was about 20 minutes total

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

I admit, math is not a strong point with me. It has nothing to do with intelligence, i'm just not a numbers person. However, I don't believe they are as effective as you are stating, where are your #'s coming from?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
They are annoying & unnerving - plus they slow down traffic. But - I don't really have a problem with their purpose - YET!

But when you do have a problem with it, it will be too late. It's purpose has clearly shifted in yuma county, my guess is it's only a matter of time before the power abuses escalate further throughout the country.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
edit: nevermind

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Originally posted by Annee

But when you do have a problem with it, it will be too late. It's purpose has clearly shifted in yuma county, my guess is it's only a matter of time before the power abuses escalate further throughout the country.

I am fully aware of Yuma County. And yes there is a fine line between "protecting the masses" and "controlling the masses".

I do not see a shift. I see adaptation - which I consider reasonable in this matter.

I do not wear blinders.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority: still more when you superadd the tendency or certainty of corruption by full authority. There is no worse heresy than the fact that the office sanctifies the holder of it."

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
According to CBP's website, the organization is tasked with "keeping terrorists and their weapons out of the U.S. It also has a responsibility for securing and facilitating trade and travel while enforcing hundreds of U.S. regulations, including immigration and drug laws."

If you look through their news clippings (same website), you'll notice multiple reports of arrests all around the states. These clippings come from AP sources--they're not vanity press stories that've been published by the CBP.

CBP officers are federal law enforcement officers. Their jurisdiction is anywhere in the U.S. They don't need dogs, guns, and handcuffs to search fruit baskets and rubber-stamp passports.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by juan_galto

Then why would they need to deputize the BP agents in order to detain U.S. citizens?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
reply to post by juan_galto

Then why would they need to deputize the BP agents in order to detain U.S. citizens?

Are they only detaining U.S. citizens or everyone where cause is apparent?

Sometimes the simple answer is the correct answer.

1. public pressure demanded increased border protection.
2. public pressure allowed for increased funding.
3. funding allows for increased personnel.
4. increased personnel allows for a more thorough job.
5. fully staffed BP vs under staffed police dept/service.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Basically the OP broke the law, got caught and is now crying how he was treated illegally.

Typical response from a habitual criminal.

You wasn't arrested, you was detained. You cannot be arrested and five minutes later they let you go as if nothing happened. They detained you while they searched your car, fined you and then sent you on your way.

Be a man and own up to your responsibilities and pay your fine.

Amen to that, He broke the law, deal with it. I don't think Border Control is that tough actually since more and more illegal immigrants are still getting into our country. You got off easy with the border control, the Mexican boprder control is worse with Americans. I've been to mexico 4 times, each time our car was always searched, for drugs, illegal immigrants, and stolen children. Did he whine about it, and cry, no, he took it like a man, and said thank god they are doing their job!!

My thoughts to the Original poster, pay the fine and don't smuggle drugs, I don't care if it marijuana, it's still an illegal substance. Next time THINK!!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mysticalzoe

Amen to that, He broke the law, deal with it. I don't think Border Control is that tough actually since more and more illegal immigrants are still getting into our country. You got off easy with the border control, the Mexican boprder control is worse with Americans. I've been to mexico 4 times, each time our car was always searched, for drugs, illegal immigrants, and stolen children. Did he whine about it, and cry, no, he took it like a man, and said thank god they are doing their job!!

The guy wasn't at the border. He was never in Mexico. He is an American Citizen that was detained without cause or warrant. This should not be acceptable to any American. However it seems most spew the same rhetoric, in some cases word for word. Which would lead one to believe that the source of this rhetoric is not from ones own mind but from a common source.

"Next time THINK!!"

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by harvib

The guy wasn't at the border. He was never in Mexico. He is an American Citizen that was detained without cause or warrant. This should not be acceptable to any American.

Nice "Idealism" - - but totally unrealistic.

Some people live in the real world.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

It's draconian and flat wrong that our 'border' extends a hundred miles in...but it's reality...they're gonna get you if you got something you aint suppose to. That's just the way it is. Seems to me like it would be easier to change something about what you got popped for then to move to another state...

Good luck.

So are you saying we should just take this illegal harassment, pay any fines assessed and keep quiet about it? Are you a Nazi?

Accepting things as "just the way it is" is not a solution to a problem. Do you think we would even have a US of A if the colonists took your attitude? I think we would still be under British rule, if they had not stood up for themselves.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I like how any notion of not giving up ones rights is "idealistic".

Would you care to explain why? Why is it necessary for Americans to be detained within the border. There are solutions that do not involve Americans detainment. Explain to me why this is the one that was chosen.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by harvib]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by harvib
reply to post by Annee

I like how any notion of not giving up ones rights is "idealistic".

Would you care to explain why? Why is it necessary for Americans to be detained within the border. There are solutions that do not involve Americans detainment. Explain to me why this is the one that was chosen.

Who defines rights? Oh yes I know - the Constitution. Wonder why it has amendments.

As a citizen of America - and a resident of SW Arizona - I choose my Right to a safe environment. You can use your "Idealism" where you live.

The year-rounders have more then tripled in the last few years in Yuma County. The snowbirds triple the population each season - - most of them are "white" Canadians. The largest ethnic demographic in Yuma County is Hispanic.

What exactly would you have American citizens do? Wear an armband?

If you go through a checkpoint with an illegal substance - - - how is that anyone's fault but your own?

. . . . stay tuned to our broadcast as we circle back to the illegal use of dogs smelling drugs in your car. Oh - wait - the dogs are legal - the drugs are not.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Give up on Annee dude, i think dementia has set in with her. She seems to agree the government is corrupt, but totally accepts it because she thinks she is "safe" from all the druggies, even though she admits she used to party with her friends when she was young. It's like arguing with Dory on Finding Nemo though, the mind gets tired with age....

new topics
top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join