It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Should Listen to Protesters, Not Label.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
First, I am willing to admit that the possibility of these health care protests being staged does exist to a certain point.

But I find it hard to believe that all of this is "manufactured anger."

The White House on Tuesday dismissed protests against President Obama's health care reforms in multiple states over the weekend as "manufactured anger" orchestrated by right wing groups and the Republican party.

"I hope people will take a jaundiced eye to what is clearly the Astroturf nature of grass-roots lobbying," said White House press secretary Robert Gibbs during a morning off-camera session in his office with reporters.

www.washingtontimes.com...

We can all agree that the majority of Americans want Healthcare. However, that doesn't mean all Americans want Healthcare. Do Americans not have a right to voice their opinion to their elected representatives?

As U.S. House leaders unveil a plan to reform the U.S. healthcare system, a USA Today/Gallup poll finds 56% of Americans in favor and 33% opposed to Congress' passing major healthcare reform legislation this year. Support for healthcare reform before the end of the year is sharply split along party lines, with 79% of Democrats in favor, compared with only 23% of Republicans.

www.gallup.com...

Are 33% of Americans manufactured anger? Furthermore, 50% of Americans disapprove the way Obama is handling Healthcare. Should these Americans be labeled because they disapprove?

As the debate over healthcare reform intensifies, the latest USA Today/Gallup poll finds that more Americans disapprove (50%) than approve (44%) of the way U.S. President Barack Obama is handling healthcare policy. There is a tremendous partisan gap in these views, with 74% of Democrats but only 11% of Republicans approving. Independents are more likely to disapprove than to approve of Obama's work on healthcare.

www.gallup.com...

And what about the Senior Citizens? I have seen many of them speak out at some of these protests. Should they be diminished to a non factor by the administration and the Dems just because they are skeptical of Healthcare reform?

Seniors are the least likely of all age groups in the U.S. to say that healthcare reform will benefit their personal healthcare situation. By a margin of three to one, 36% to 12%, adults 65 and older are more likely to believe healthcare reform will reduce rather than expand their access to healthcare. And by 39% to 20%, they are more likely to say their own medical care will worsen rather than improve.

www.gallup.com...

I realize this is a heavily debated issue, but the labeling needs to stop. Just like President Obama has promised to listen to the world, friend or foe, he needs to do the same at home. The labeling is just going to further anger and divide the public. IMO, many of these protesters or manufactured anger have some legit issues with healthcare and Obama and Congress should listen.

Michelle Obama once said,

“Barack Obama ... is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zones. That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed.”

www.nytimes.com...

People are coming out of their isolation, getting engage, more involved and more informed. President Obama should listen to them not demean them.

President Obama, the solution is simple. Show America that what you state about healthcare is written in black and white in that 1,000 page bill.

Of course, that means you will have to read the bill first.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
S&F!

Yes...what happened to the listener that was about change?
You know I refer to the Dems and the Repubs and the two headed monster.

These so called "public servants" seem to have lost thier way!
They learned a long time ago when they could vote themselves bonuses and raises...what do they need us for?

Oh...yea that is they need us to work, pay taxes so they can bail out corporate worlds with corporate welfare! They rob the poor to pay the rich! Grand Theft Treason...that is what I say.

So...seems like Obama is just another politician after all.
What other explanation could there possibly be?

Well, that is another subject altogether!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The former "community organizer" is getting out organized, and he can't stand it.

Can you imagine if President Bush asked for anti-war protestors to be reported to a White House website?

Speaking of President Bush......man I miss that guy!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
President Obama coming out and saying his people will push back twice as hard really says something to me. Seems like he only cares about a certain sector of the population. The office of the President is supposed to represent all Americans. The nice thing about our system of gov't in how it was set up is that you had both sides of the equation with ideas and such and they would a compromosie so everybody got something. Obama is a on a slippery slope and he may have to face a lot of "unintended consequences" for his single mindedness.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kords21

The nice thing about our system of gov't in how it was set up is that you had both sides of the equation with ideas and such and they would a compromosie so everybody got something.

Only problem with that is everyone was so disgusted with the Republicans that we now have a Democrat controlled Congress as well as the White House. That means there aren't really any checks and balances to keep one party from running amok, and they are taking advantage of that right now.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Great post... but you should be careful before some left wing gladiator 'flags' your free speech for speaking against big brother and the holding company.

1984 has arrived... only 25 years late.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

That is the problem when you only have a two-party system and both sides are controlled by the same organizations. This gov't stopped being of the people and by the people a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Thanks for the comments. Just think it is time for Politicians, regardless of party, start listening to their constituents and start addressing the issues Americans are voicing. Ignoring them or labeling them is not an option in my book.

I have made a promise not to vote for my current representatives. IMO, they are part of the problem and it's time to send a message.

As Donald Trump says,

You're Fired.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Actually I think it should be more like this:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Kords21

Kudos to you.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Maybe for the 2010 elections we can have a "Senator unemployed" and "Represenative unemployed" campagin for the incumbents.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
"a USA Today/Gallup poll finds 56% of Americans in favor and 33% opposed to Congress' passing major healthcare reform legislation this year."

I'd be interested to know what percentage of those polled even bothered to read the legislation. Better yet, what percentage of those even know how to read?

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

They were polling the illegal's in the Emergency room

Polls are worthless, IMO

top topics

join