It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you have a private security firm look after your town?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hi all

This is a question that arose from a conversation i had with a local business owner the other night in my local pub.

If your town/village had little or no police presence on a regular basis, would you be happy with a private security firm keeping an eye on the place?

Long story short, i live in a quiet forest village in the UK, picturesque and pretty peacefull apart from the tourists. Crime is pretty non-exsistant here, so much that for ages now we haven't had a village copper as such. We used to, but now it has been reduced to a monthly "drop in surgery" where you can chat to an officer about neighbourhood policing issues if need be.

We get the odd burglary here and there, but the houses here are stupidy expensive so you're bound to i guess. Other than that, it's a few rowdy teenagers at night and thats it.

Recently though, we've had a lot of break-ins and thefts of specific industrial items, and i was discussing this with the owner of one of the shops the other night. He suggested that he'd be more than happy to pay a private security firm to keep an eye on his premises. He said that other business owners in the village shared his opinion.

The way it was put across though, was that it would be nice if the private security firm could have a presence around the village though, and not just at the property.

Now i don't know too much about private security firms, apart from the larger ones we discuss here like Blackwater. That immediately doesn't instill much faith in the idea lol, but i guess the village would be safe(ish).

I'm just curious whether others here would consider putting towards a firm who kept an eye on your town if police were a rareity?

Could they even have a say on the security of a whole town? Are they just restricted to protecting a specific property?

Maybe the idea is open to abuse and just plain wouldn't work?

Thanks for any thoughts on this,

CX.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Consider the other angles though, for example say the employees are locals. These locals are drawn from the unemployed who meet the moral criteria for domestic security.

What would the people have to worry about then?

Just because a company is private dont make it bad. It could be a private company started, by the people who live in the area, couldn't it?

In my opinion, the private sector is more diverse than the government.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
But if you (the townspeople) are going to spend money on a private security agency, then why not just hire and train more police officers?

...as far as a security firm being around town, or just being restricted to a private property, I'm thinking they would do whatever they were paid/contracted to do.

[edit on 8/4/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

To give that job to the locals ...
idea is good. A bit like the old god Tombstone era
Im not sure about the USA but here in EU to open Your own security agency you need to have a tons of the Certificates, Autorisations, Licencies etc. So in this case probably the job will go to some big enterprise...
About the private being better...
It is tendency of today to "liberate" the State of all its responsabilities, and to give it to "private" enterprises, which, as finally we find sometimes belong all to some multinational, seemingly headless monsters. Also the security stuff- I think in the most of the european countries it will be legal, kind of outsourcing, only the competences given may vary from country to country according to the local law.
Not sure if its that good, or even really more efficient. I know one: if we peel all the responsabilities from the State why more to pay taxes etc?? Actually maybe thats part of their agenda...
Raubritters are returning!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Why not put it in the citizens hands? A rotating group of good townsfolk watch the buildings, patrol and all that every night. Why would you have to pay to feel safe?

Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't you MAKE yourself safe by taking care of each other?

CX

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies.

I like the idea of the people of the town forming a group to look after the area, but whilst i would be more than happy to participate in this, some would see it as an excellent case of vigilantiism should the group have to deal with someone. That brings it's own problems in regards to the law.

I'm not sure we could pay for our own police officer? Good idea though.

I'll look into that.

Thanks again,

CX.

new topics

join