It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karl Schroeder "The Rewilding: A Metaphor"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
In my continuing series of threads on technological singularity/transhumanism ...

Allow me to present to you the following mind bending lecture from Karl Schroeder who

is an award-winning Canadian science fiction author. His novels present far-future speculations on topics such as nanotechnology, terraforming, augmented reality and interstellar travel, and have a deeply philosophical streak. One of his concepts, known as thalience, has gained some currency in the artificial intelligence and computer networking communities.

Here's writer, futurist and all-round dude Karl Schroeder's talk from this year's O'Reilly Open Source Con: "The Rewilding: A Metaphor." In his inimitable style, Karl first describes a semi-human future in which things as abstract as "nature" and "politics" participate directly in the economy and in online discussions, then connects this to open source and open government. It's a hell of a mind-bender, as only Karl can manage. Bravo!

www.boingboing.net...

Anyhoot, I found this projection into social, natural, political, economic, and technological aspects of the very near future to be oh so interesting.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.