It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fla. teen: Teammates saw locker room sex assault

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Fla. teen: Teammates saw locker room sex assault

www.breitbart.com

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Many members of a Florida middle school's flag football team were in the locker room when a 13-year-old boy was sexually assaulted by some of his teammates with a hockey stick and broomstick, according to court documents released Tuesday.
The teen told a detective that two teammates penetrated him with a stick as many as a dozen times while two others held him down. He said "basically the whole team" was in the room. The boy said the sexual assaults happened over a period several weeks but it was unclear how many times.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
My initial reaction is why didn't this get reported sooner? Why didn't the victim step foward? Why didn't a single witness step forward?

These type of stories just leave me with such an ill-feeling in my stomach. I can't attribute it to the "don't snitch" philosophy which was spawned by many rap stars, but I also can't assume this is just "bullying" either.

It only lasted for about 15-20 seconds then we all stopped and walked away," one wrote. "After it happened I walked up and said we were just playing around and didn't mean to hurt his feelings."

The bullying—including sexual assaults—had gone on for months, officials said, unbeknownst to the boys' coach, school administrators and the victim's parents, until the teen finally snapped.

Asked why he didn't report the assault earlier, the teen said, "I thought they would stop."

He also said that one of the suspects threatened him to keep him from coming forward.

"I'll beat you up if you tell anybody about that," he quoted one of the boys saying.
www.breitbart.com...

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Sad story

Why didn't the victim step foward?

Probably, he was too embarrassed and humiliated to tell anyone.
Put yourself in his shoes - would you want people to know?

Why didn't a single witness step forward?

Because people are cowards, and nobody wanted to be next in line, probably.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Horrifying. Very.

But of course, this kind of thing happens all the time (though not nearly to this extreame) in school situations. Its NEVER reported. (a number of factors including fear, uncomfort...etc)

This makes me very angry, but I'll try and ask karma to bless and help the boys responsible and everyone else that did nothing. Right now, they need the blessing more than I.

And as for the others? People "just watching" are just as guilty of cowardice. Why? Courage=doing something for a just cause no matter the price or obstacle.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Yet more proof that in the right set of circumstances, anyone can commit the most heinous act. Also highlighting the fact that good people do stand by quietly, well bad people wreak havoc. This is the tragedy of humanity.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This may be a tangent, maybe not.
I think this story is testament to the failed idea that you can use sports and athletics as a foundation for your childs learning experience.
Parents in the USA put so much emphasis on football and basketball, we have no kids being taught trades anymore, and you get these kids who can throw a ball, but cant build a house.
You also get a dumb herd mentality, they try to teach leardership, but it gets overshadowed by individual egos.
There is nothing wrong with sports and fitness, but theres far too much money and attention in it.
Thats why our kids are falling behind the rest of the world.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm surprised that boy wasn't, erm, injured? Since he is 13 and had a broom handle shoved up his ass without KY Jelly or anything (unless the team mates came prepared
).

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The worst thing is the sense of betrayal when all the kids in your class participate in raping you.....even if just a spectatator or witness who spoke not a word against the atrocity being done against a person they have known for years. It is always the youngest, smallest and least liked person, probably the poorest too. In most cases the witnesses never speak and the victim already knows that no one will ever help them, that it will always be their fault it happened to them.

join