It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP sources: Russian subs patrolling off East Coast

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Must have lost a submarine. Most likely a Typhoon class sub with intention of defecting to the U.S., hence why the Russian attack boats are patrolling near the east coast of the U.S.

I'm probably the only one who got that reference and your follow-ups.
A star for you sir.

Edit: Haha Talcool and I got it at the same time.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

reply to post by C0bzz

Stealth does not mean undetectable or untouchable, just hard to detect or find.

It's this thing called a "caterpillar drive". To US subs it would sound biological - like whales humping or something.

Line 2.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

I like the hammer and problems begins to look like nails

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
I thought submarines were supposed to be stealth? How do we know they are there? Is it because the report is bogus, or we can detect them?

Russian submarines have almost always been louder than their Western counterparts, among other things. Furthermore, during the Cold War the most likely staging point for Russian cruise missile submarines, and indeed their typical patrol areas, were zones off the mid Atlantic and Pacific coasts. As such, decades of preparation means there are significant and layered passive sensors and detection systems in those areas. In addition, it is unlikely that the small operational Russian SSN fleet would be able to sail submarines from their home ports all the way near the U.S. coast without being detected and tracked in the process. You can rest assured U.S. submarines, air assets, and even surface vessels are keeping a close eye on the situation.

But it is nothing to be alarmed, or upset over. The Russians have every right to conduct naval maneuvers, open or not, in international waters. And to utilize their systems for whatever intelligence gathering operation they so choose in the process. The United States, NATO, and other powers do the same to Russia and each other. If anything, there is more a political and strategic message, given they know the U.S. would be aware of such moves.

Notice the date.

The Washington Times – Sub Games

By Bill Gertz and Rowan Scarborough, February 4, 2000

U.S. intelligence agencies detected what some officials are calling an "unprecedented" deployment of two Russian submarines off U.S. coasts last year.

The first Russian Oscar II-class submarine sailed from northern Russia last summer to the Mediterranean, then on to areas off the eastern United States. "We played with it," said one military officer, referring to the silent underwater tracking efforts of U.S. hunter-submarines.

Then a second Oscar II sailed from the Russian Far East and loitered around Hawaii, home port of the U.S. 7th Fleet, in time for a U.S. missile test over the Pacific. This Russian submarine then sailed to waters off San Diego where in October it spent a week following U.S. warships based there. The targets: the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis and the amphibious landing ship Essex. "It was watching the Stennis and the Essex," one official told us.

The submarine was engaged in intelligence collection operations as well as ship-targeting. After the Southern California deployment, the Oscar II went north to waters near Washington's Puget Sound, home port for U.S. ballistic missile submarines. U.S. intelligence analysts viewed the unusual submarine deployments as Russia's negative reaction to NATO's bombing campaign in Kosovo. "The Russians were saying 'We're still a power,' " the official said.

Link

[edit on 4-8-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Very little threat to the United States The Russian attack subs are only dangerous to other subs.If there patrolling off the coast this means there missing a sub and want to make sure it doesn't come here to visit. As far as a threat to the US there attack subs are so noisy we can track them easily thats why we know there there and they have a snowballs chance in hell of detecting ours which is following them as we speak.Thats why there not worried.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason

AP sources: Russian subs patrolling off East Coast

www.breitbart.com

WASHINGTON (AP) - Defense officials say two nuclear-powered Russian attack submarines have been patrolling in international waters off the East Coast for several days.
The officials tell The Associated Press that while they haven't seen such unusual activity since the Cold War, the military is not overly concerned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

My Old Man was stationed at Sandy Hook for quite a while during the Cold War, and you should hear the stories of what those guys accomplished (Inshore Undersea Warfare Group 2).

One time my father's Sonarman made-out a contact, and it ended up being a Soviet Sub sitting in a submerged canyon off Long Island Sound, waiting for American Subs to make their way south from New London so that it could stalk them. My father's Unit made contact with the Fleet, and they halted all American Southward Sub movement, and instead sent in two Destroyers. First however, the Unit made their way out in Swift boats (Coastal Patrol Boats, which are part of IBU (Inshore Boat Units) ), but they disguised their movements until they were right on top of the Soviets. I won't go into details, but they managed to scare the living you know what out of the Soviets, and the Reds subsequently bolted with the U.S. Destroyers in hot pursuit actively pinging them all the way lol.

MIUWU/IBU:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Putin just went down in a submarine in siberia a few days ago, where the Russians previously had Alien encounter. heres the thread. www.abovetopsecret.com... Maybe something is going on down there that we dont know about???

[edit on 4-8-2009 by ziggyproductions05]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well it was only a matter of time before they started poking their noses around again. We know the minute they leave their ports. This is really nothing to get excited about. We do the same to them. As stated before it's simply a game of cat and mouse.

I'm kind of glad to see them actually.
Good for them. Now our guys and theirs can get some badly needed practice playing the old hunt and hide.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
The Inshore Undersea Warfare Group 1 was the group that planted most of the SOSUS U.S. Navy's Sound Surveillance System off the west coast of the US.

Likely group 2 did the same on the east coast.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05
Putin just went down in a submarine in siberia a few days ago, where the Russians previously had Alien encounter. heres the thread. www.abovetopsecret.com... Maybe something is going on down there that we dont know about???

[edit on 4-8-2009 by ziggyproductions05]

Did he ask the lake aliens if it was OK to put submarines off the East coast?

LOL, but anyways, it might be truer than you think.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Must have lost a submarine. Most likely a Typhoon class sub with intention of defecting to the U.S., hence why the Russian attack boats are patrolling near the east coast of the U.S.

You watch too much Tom Clancy movies... that guy really has it in for the Russians

So the US has been detecting two Russian attack subs... makes you wonder about the other Russian subs that remain undetected, or doesn't it?

edit: Nevermind, this is 2000 news. There's probably dozens now, including operational SSBM subs.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

I must say, that's a pretty stupid guess. Beyond stupid even. I have no idea why you (or anyone) would even suggest that a Russian sub would randomly defect. I guess the myths surrounding Russian militaries still run high on ATS.

Russian sailors serve by choice, they are not conscripts. They get decent pay (which has been significantly raised in the last several years) and vacations just like any other servicepersons.

The two subs are actually transporting something to Cuba as part of the Russian effort to move closer to Cuba and re-establish the same kind of relations they had during the Soviet period. Could be weapons, could be something else - who knows.

Given they are using subs to transport whatever it is they are transporting, one could presume the Russians want to keep it under wraps.

Or perhaps they are just establishing protocol for using a Cuban naval base.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manincloak
I must say, that's a pretty stupid guess. Beyond stupid even. I have no idea why you (or anyone) would even suggest that a Russian sub would randomly defect. I guess the myths surrounding Russian militaries still run high on ATS.

Or it could be that goof and sarcasm are what Deltaboy had in mind. Sounds to me like the only thing running high, or should I say low, is you dry sense of humor.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

They just released a photo of the Russian Capt God I hope they find him in time...

Here is a news update

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
i cant believe that the "officials" call this unusual. they play the same game, if i were russia i would not trust us either.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23Or it could be that goof and sarcasm are what Deltaboy had in mind. Sounds to me like the only thing running high, or should I say low, is you dry sense of humor.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by WestPoint23]

If I wanted humour, I'd go on fark.com, not abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonamousantichrist
i cant believe that the "officials" call this unusual. they play the same game, if i were russia i would not trust us either.

This behavior might have been common 20-30 years ago, in 2009 it's unusual. Those two Akulas are likely using 1/2 the Russian Northern Fleet's optar budget for the year.

Cuba must be a nice liberty port.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Schaden]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
THE MILITARY IS NOT CONCERNED.

ha ha ha. course not, they put them there. along with Chinese, and every other nation who would be willing to kick our asses when the order is given.

This is seriously....messed up.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
It has been 15 years since the Russians came around the U.S. with their subs, correct?

I don’t think they’ve put two first-line nuclear subs off the U.S. coast in about 15 years,” said Norman Polmar, a naval historian and submarine warfare expert.

www.nytimes.com...

So, why now?

My thoughts/questions are.....................

does this have anything to do with the U.S. being on the verge of not being able to sell it's debt?

Is this a show from the Russians, letting the U.S. know - "We are not to do anything stupid, because of that"?

It seems to me, there is a huge message here for the U.S., that we just don't get, exactly what it is, but those in Washington may completely understand why and what message is.

Now, if the Chinese park some subs off the West coast - close to the U.S. - then I would say - something is Really going on.

I think it is well worth watching what other countries are doing off the shores of the U.S. now and in the future.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The way how they find these Submarines isnt through conventional Sonar detection but rather through Wake disturbance technology. All Craft underwater that move have to leave a wake in their trail, its this disturbance of water at the surface which is the give-away of a Submarines location. I have no idea how they do it but its effective in that you cant realistically expect a Sub to be sitting there for months on end without having to eventually move somewhere to get supplies.
Chances are the Russians wont need Subs either as theyd already have Intel working on the inside at the Pentagon or other US bases.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join