It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police beat women opposing Sudan dress code trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Police beat women opposing Sudan dress code trial

news.yahoo.com

KHARTOUM, Sudan – Sudanese police fired tear gas and beat women protesting at the trial Tuesday of a female journalist who faces a flogging for wearing trousers in public.

Sudanese journalist Lubna Hussein could receive 40 lashes if found guilty of violating the country's indecency law which follows a strict interpretation of Islam. The 43-year-old says the law is un-Islamic and "oppressive," and she's trying to use her trial to rally support to change it.

"I am not afraid of flogging. ... It's about changing the law," Hussein said, speaking to The Associated Press after a heari
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Here is the religion of peace and equality hard at work again, this time putting women under the lash because they dared to pull on a pair of pants.

On top of that the police beat the peaceful female protestors and attack the accused's lawyer.

The tide is turning against Islam, and the women are leading the charge.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Here is the religion of peace and equality hard at work again,

No these are stupid "law enforcers" at work in a country with a corrupt govt.

this time putting women under the lash because they dared to pull on a pair of pants.

This is making mainstream news if you've been watching TV today
Isn't interesting how western msm will speak of these overseas atrocities but barely report on police brutality here at home?

The tide is turning against Islam, and the women are leading the charge.

but but... wait
I'm confused
The women are leading the charge?
Which women, the muslim women?
But the are..... muslim
Fighting for rights for muslim women

hold on here, I thought the tide was turning against islam?

You know Retseh, you are a funny dude
i've seen your posts

You condemn corrupt law enforcers as long as they are muslim
but you defend corrupt law enforcers here at home like there's no tomorrow

You obviously have an agenda

and no, I am NOT muslim
not one muslim family member anywhere in my family tree going up or down

So believe me when I say I am impartial
You however....

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I always love it when you have to explain a thread to people, but for you it's usually a given. Follow this checklist and pause before each line.

This thread is not about the actions of the Sudanese police.

This thread is not about corruption in the government of Sudan.

This thread is about Muslim law in Sudan which mandates the flogging of women who wear trousers.

Do you agree with such actions, or not.

Post accordingly.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Funny you dictate the terms of engagement on this thread yet you push your odd agenda on the back of it what with the "tide turning on Islam and women leading the charge" nonesense.

You do realise that Sudan is country being destabilized and fragmented by Israeli and petroleum corporation activities? But then you turn around and declare the end of a world religion and support Sudanese women. These women are Arabs and Muslims, the bane of your alien political interests.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

great checklist
unfortunately your 2nd post with the commentary did not reflect it.

Do you think it reflected it?
You spoke saracastically calling islam the religion of peace
as if Sudan represents all of Islam

Back on track, yes Sudan is the most extreme country when it comes to Islam. Not only women but even men do not like this, plenty of sudanese men and women protested the whole issue about the british teacher and the allowing of calling a teddy bear mohammed and her getting lashes and so forth.

ANY religion and politics do not mix well, and never will
down with theocracy of any form!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I agree with you on most of your points. Sudan has always been progressive with regards to women's rights to the extent that women could divorce from their husbands at will centuries before Christian women and the Orthodox Jewish women of today. They also had equal education and rights as men.

This change when the country was destabilised and bombed by the US, intereferred with by American evangelicals and currently war being instigated in Darfur by Israeli and petroleum corporations. The country has been taken over by a radicalised national government struggling to fight external interference.

It really is a country being torn apart and subjected to horrendous slander with Israel actually bombing them from the air.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

Yes I agree with you on this
I have some sudanese friends and a syrian friend that lived there

They have described to me things similar to what you are saying

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I say good for her for standing up what she believes is right (and it is right). Thats the main thing with islam I have a prob with, the way they treat women. Even here in the states in the middle of the summer I'll see muslims families out and about and the husbands are wearing just regular clothes like shorts and stuff, while the women are covered in burqas or whatever, and they always look freaking miserable!

And theres really seriously a law written in the books there that women can't wear trousers? lol thats rediculous. Of course in the states where I live we have stupidass laws too.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

I say good for her for standing up what she believes is right (and it is right).

No problems there, women have rights in Islam and the shouldn't let reactionaries dictate to them.

Thats the main thing with islam I have a prob with, the way they treat women.

Funny, the main problem Muslims have is with the way Americans treat women as sex objects, exploitation of women, body fascism and the disrespect of femininity.

Even here in the states in the middle of the summer I'll see muslims families out and about and the husbands are wearing just regular clothes like shorts and stuff, while the women are covered in burqas or whatever, and they always look freaking miserable!

I can't figure how you can see through the coverings the women wear to see how they feel about their clothing.

Burkas, hijabs and various forms of modesty clothing are usually made from cotton and relatively to wear in dry heat.

I understand that women are entitled to wear what they want in America and if American Muslim women have the right to wear what they want. If they are forced to wear clothing they do not want, I am sure the authorities are willing to assist then extensively publicise in the media.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher
Funny you dictate the terms of engagement on this thread yet you push your odd agenda on the back of it what with the "tide turning on Islam and women leading the charge" nonesense.

My goal was to focus him in on the treatment of women under a Muslim legal system, clearly the point of the story. But then you knew that.

You do realise that Sudan is country being destabilized and fragmented by Israeli and petroleum corporation activities? But then you turn around and declare the end of a world religion and support Sudanese women. These women are Arabs and Muslims, the bane of your alien political interests.

I understand that as with most of these problems the British are often to blame, and yet still presume to lecture the rest of us. The Sudan was essentially demarcated into a Muslim north and a Christian south up until 1956, not by the Israelis, not by the oil companies, but by you people. How's that for "fragmentation"?

I also understand that whipping women for wearing trousers is the action of an evil mysoginistic legal system backed by an evil mysoginistic cult, one of many, but arguably the worst. An issue you studiously and so typically ignore.

As with many residents of your socially misdirected island, you assume that any criticism of Islam denotes a desire to destroy it - something that is clearly unfeasible. Islam exists in a socially acceptable form in many countries, my own included, but in others it portrays standards of treatment, particularly to women, that are abhorrent to most right minded people.

For other western nations, any failure to recognize the dangers of "doing a Chamberlain" to the more socially disgusting aspects of that religion will result in a country just like yours.

new topics

top topics

join