It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying motorcycle likely to take off next year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Published 4 August 2009 California company shows designs of a flying motorcycle; the bike is able to pop out a pair of wings and take to the skies; estimated price tag: $80,000

Link to Source

In order to get airborne, the Switchblade pops out two "scissors" wings from a clamshell belly case which keeps them "protected from road grunge and rock dings." The rear-mounted ducted fan can then propel the machine into the air to cruise at an estimated 134 mph, though this is expected to worsen the fuel economy from 60 mpg on the road to 22 mpg airborne. Samson recommend a 120 horsepower Freedom Motor low-emissions powerplant capable of burning a wide variety of fuels, but offer customers the option to fit any suitable engine of their choice.

The secret of Switchblade's superior performance superior, that is, relative to the Terrafugia) lies in the fact that despite being described as a "motorcycle" rather than a "car," it will weigh 1,400 lb all up. The four-wheeler Terrafugia Transition, by contrast, is intended to fit within the FAA 1 320 lb weight limit for light sport aircraft, and it uses a less powerful engine too. Page notes that a light-sport pilot's license is easier to achieve and keep up than a normal private-pilot ticket, which will presumably be required for Switchblade users. Experienced pilots would notice another probable downside for the Switchblade: its 70 knot stalling speed, which is a lot higher than the Transition's 45 kt. Samson does not specify the sky bike's takeoff run, but it will probably need significantly more than the Transition's 1,700 feet to get over a 50 foot obstacle.

Samson Motorworks

Sweet!

Very sweet. Gas mileage in the air kinda stinks though.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

That is so freaking cool.. I want one. I am willing to throw myself on the ground and throw a tantrum until the govenment concedes to buy me one.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by KSPigpen

That is so freaking cool.. I want one. I am willing to throw myself on the ground and throw a tantrum until the govenment concedes to buy me one.

Only 80 grand, Grapes. You should get one and tell us all how it is. Take some videos.

STANDARD FEATURES = Driver adjustable seat, continuously variable transmission (cvt) with forward, neutral, reverse, and flight mode, leather interior, lexan front windshield and side windows, heating & air conditioning, stereo cd, California ULEV rating, seat belt / safety harness, front and rear disc brakes, video rear view monitor, glass cockpit, automatic vehicle leaning in turns, extendable wings, dual ground/air lighting system, lightning protection, redundant ignition system, redundant battery system, Navigation radio, ELT (emergency location transmitter), back-up air speed, altimeter and attitude, ballistic chute recovery system.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d9267b3bf3f9.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e7e7084e7cd1.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c34cb0bdfd2d.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 4-8-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

I AGREE! LOL

However that doesn't look like a motorcycle in the pictures. They should take the Ducati streetfighter and put wings on it and I would personally harass everyone until I had one.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
when i picture a flying car or motorcycle i imagine a vehicle that utilizes anti-gravity or something similar. This is nothing more than a revamped small aircraft. An aircraft which you could drive on the roads but I'm guesing you would need to go to an airport to take-off and set-down. It would be pretty difficult to take-off or land on normal roads especially if there is traffic. I'm fairly certain there is a law in place that prevents this too.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
By current flight regulations you would need a sport pilot license to fly one. (Based on it's specifications)

Good thing that's the easiest one to get eh!?

I already have mine! Turn in my ultralight for a flight bike!

But seriously, there are way cooler civilian aircraft out there.

This one is on my must buy list.

I give you ICON!

It may have a propeller but it's lighter and is faster. Oh and almost forgot, less expensive!

[edit on 5-8-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Awsome... I want one..... no make that 3. I would love that thing in traffic... right before you hit that traffic wall just lift off

Most likley be a lil more difficult than that but would still try... However, like another poste, this is not what I picuted in my head when I was reading about this craft. Either way it is a start.....

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I was expecting something along the lines of a swooper bike from Star Wars . . .

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

The Icon is $135,000 and can only land and take off on water

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
WHERE THE HELL IS THE PROP???? Nice picks of a clean machine but practicality is going to be hard. Unless it has a prop like some of the motored gliders have it's gonna get ugly looking maybe a prop that cranks up out of the aft part of the cabin. They work quite well in gliders. Like this one:

Retractable Engined SailPlane

Zindo

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

No that's not true, The ICON has retractable gear. They let you make the choice of with or without gear!

Wingfold and Gear retraction!
Zindo

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

It has an optional landing gear...

Anyway, sorry you're right. It was a used one that I saw, my mistake. (they wanted $74,000 for it.)

Either way I'm already happy with my Flightstar SC II, and it's a fraction of the cost (although not nearly as cool).

[edit on 5-8-2009 by DaMod]

new topics

top topics

join