It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guard troops may be needed in troubled Ala. county

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Oh, someone's ALWAYS going to enforce the law, HunkaHunka.

it's just that the smaller the government, the less control the people have over how that law is enforced and who's doing the enforcing.

See... Shrinking your government does not get rid of the problems - the people causing the problems are inevitably the ones who WANT the government to be smaller. So much as how, when you drain a swamp, all that's left is muck, rot, and bugs, when you shrink a government all that's left is a corrupt bureaucracy and a largely independent armed wing.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
[edit on 4-8-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It must be really difficult to hear about the dire situations that greedy people have brought upon themselves. Most likely any unrest will be a media driven event, but for the governments that lived off of borrowed money for the last 40 years their time has come to end.

Apparently, they don't learn until after they've totally collapsed. Seeing all of the government employees out of work and the National Guard in Birmingham just may send a wake up call to the people working in Cook County and the State of Illinois, and other governments around the country as well...many don't seem to have gotten the message that the party has ended and government in the future will not be a good place to make a quick buck.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

What is up with the corruption of Jefferson county? Just in the last six years you have the Healthsouth fiasco, this water works bond deal fiasco, illegal taxes, etc., etc.! Every mayor of B'ham for the last 10 years has went to prison for something, from Arrington to Langford.

I left Birmingham six years ago after my area was overrun with crime. Getting a pistol put in my face leaving the Music Hall one night was enough for me!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Is there going to be enought guardsmen to do the job with a lot of the guard over seas

"At the end of 2008, some 14,000 members of the Alabama Army and Air National Guard had been mobilized in our nation's global war on terror. By the end of 2009, that number is scheduled to increase to nearly 16,000 members. Many Alabama Army Guard Soldiers and Air Guard Airmen have performed two or more tours on active duty during this time period."

www.wsfa.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Armed thugs already roam the streets, for the last 2+ decades! The police avoid those streets also.

Go to any ghetto in this nation, or inner city project, and tell me I am wrong. I dare you.

The police and national guard will not change that. Only education can change it. And guess what, no one has a clue how to pull that off.

Education of both those inside it and those outside it.

The gap is not one-sided.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

S and F!!

Everyone needs to see - this is just the first of what I believe will be bankrupcy of many cities and eventually the Fed. govt. of the U.S.

We have been going down this path and now with municipalitites along with the Fed. govt. not being able to sell their bonds or having trouble with them, they have to downsize.

Those people laid off - will now be desperate.

It is so sad, and it is due to all the corruption of the past - and the govt. not be accountable with their spending etc.

I have some family in Birmingham, I can't imagine what it is going to be like in the not too distant future.

People not having jobs and everyone else, not getting the govt. services they pay for.

We have begun crossing that line that had been laid out - months ago - this is just the first.

Are you prepared?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Thats what Im getin at if a lot are deployed and if (really big if ) the ones that are state side are not up to the task who is going to step up not knocking the guard in any way just a question

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent

Thats what Im getin at if a lot are deployed and if (really big if ) the ones that are state side are not up to the task who is going to step up not knocking the guard in any way just a question

The feds will be more than happy to 'assist.'

Sounds like a national emergency to me.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Isn't this whole thing a controlled demolition...you know for all those minor governments and groups that thought they didn't have to fall in line at the command of more powerful organizations? This whole thing is a power play.

I thought I read somewhere that if these states and counties and cities don't know how to do as they are told...they will be destroyed; economically and financially.

It seems that someone knew what they were doing...some ridiculously powerful and hidden organization knew that none of these governments could long function without periodic secret infusions of money that they wouldn't have to pay back. Without the power to borrow money government work is probably about as exciting as being a Priest. Apparently, this master work of a plan is just now unfolding as states, counties and cities begin to experience the pain of shrinking; doing all they can to survive. They'll survive but with about as much power as the local Baptist Church.

After these governments shrink and the local cops are walking around with a gun with only one bullet, like Barney Fife, and on bicycles instead of squad cars, perhaps they'll even decide being drug dealers isn't a job they can risk anymore.

I say squeeze 'em until they pop.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

The feds will be more than happy to 'assist.'

Sounds like a national emergency to me.

Centcomm? Or NorthComm, or whatever was in that other thread that recently got deployed within our country!

Or maybe FEMA, from their new secret Headquarters near KC, MO!

Or, most drastically and sinisterly, BlackWater or some other private security outfit that will not be bound by their oaths, and will not be loyal to the citizens!!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

For example, Kentucky’s Lexington Police Department contracted Blackwater Security International to provide what’s described as homeland security training.

From this new thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seemed very appropriate. Kentucky is nearby, and Blackwater is already at work within the states. This was a big concern when they were booted from Iraq, because they already had a long-term contract. We need to find them something to do!!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Corporations Headquartered In Birmingham
Alabama Power, Division of Southern Company
Alagasco, an Energen Company
Altec Industries
American Cast Iron Pipe Company (ACIPCO)
Associated Grocers of the South
B.L. Harbert International - international construction company
BBVA Compass
BE&K, Inc. - international construction and engineering company
Balch & Bingham
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
Burr & Forman
Birmingham Speed of America, Inc.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama
BioCryst Pharmaceuticals
BioHorizons
Books-A-Million - third largest bookstore chain in the U.S.
Brasfield & Gorrie
Bruno's Supermarkets
Buffalo Rock Company
Chester's International
Citation Corporation
Colonial Properties Trust
Diagnostic Health Corporation
Drummond Company
DST Health Solutions
EBSCO Industries
Energen Corporation
Energen Resources Corporation
Harbert Management Corporation
HealthSouth Corporation - nations largest rehabilitative services company
Hibbett Sports, Inc.
Hoar Construction
Infinity Property & Casualty Corporation
Liberty National Life Insurance Company
McWane, Inc.
Medical Properties Trust, Inc.
Motion Industries
O'Neal Steel, Inc.
Protective Life Corporation - insurance provider
ProAssurance Corporation
Regions Financial Corporation
Royal Cup Coffee, Inc.
SourceMedical Solutions, Inc.
Southeastern Conference - SEC
Southern Company Generation
Southern Company Services
Southern Natural Gas Company
Southern Nuclear - nuclear division of Southern Company
Southern Progress Corporation - publisher of Southern Living magazine, owned by Time Warner
Southern Research Institute
Southwestern Athletic Conference - SWAC
Surgical Care Affiliates
Torchmark Corporation - insurance provider
United Investors Life
University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) college and medical center
U.S. Pipe
Vulcan Materials Company - largest aggregates producer

Fortune 500
As of 2007, Birmingham has one Fortune 500 public company: Regions Financial Corporation (#312). Five more Birmingham companies rank in the top 1000: Saks Incorporated (#570) , Vulcan Materials Company (#595), HealthSouth Corporation (#637), Compass Bancshares (#686), and Protective Life Corporation (#700). [1]

Private Companies With Revenue Over One Billion
Several privately-held companies headquartered in Birmingham have annual revenues exceeding one billion dollars. These include American Cast Iron Pipe Company, Brasfield & Gorrie, BE&K, Drummond Company, EBSCO Industries, Harbert Management Corporation, McWane, and O'Neal Steel.

Corporations With Large Operations In Birmingham
AT&T (previously BellSouth) - South Central Bell was headquartered in Birmingham, significant operations in the metro area
Belk - Regional Headquarters
Caremark Rx
El Paso Corporation
Jack Henry & Associates
Metavante Corporation
Mueller Water Products - Administrative Headquarters
RBC Bank - Administrative Operations
Southern Company
State Farm Insurance Companies
SunGard - Operations Center, Regional and Division Headquarters
Synovus Financial
U.S. Steel Corporation
UnitedHealth Group
Wachovia Corporation - Regional Headquarters
Walter Energy, Inc.
Washington Group International

So I guess the big corporations need less taxes no matter what the sheriff department thinks. Just less law enforcement to hassel the CEO's as they steal more money.

www.reuters.com...

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (Reuters) - Alabama's debt-ridden Jefferson County laid off about two-thirds of its 3,600 employees on Monday because of plummeting revenues, a move that will sharply curtail services in areas ranging from roads to courthouses.

The cuts are just the latest blow to Jefferson, whose population of 660,000 includes Birmingham, the state's largest city and its economic powerhouse. They come after the county racked up around $4 billion in debt by using exotic financial instruments to fund a revamp of its sewer system.

The work-force cuts will hit the roads and transportation, revenue and security departments, and reductions will also affect the courthouse and information technology department as well as laborers paid on an hourly basis, according to a senior county official.

Jefferson County has been forced to make drastic cuts because of a lawsuit questioning the legality of a county occupational tax, which raised $78 million annually and was vital to the county's operation.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm in Alabama and I've been discussing with fellow Bamians the possibility of this happening for the past 6mos or so.
You have a corrupt state that's collapsing under corrupt structures and then you want to bring in fellow countrymen to police it?

This is NOT a good thing and I tell you now that I know a few people that could very easily go over the top if provoked. I hate to say it, but even it is IS for the good, a bunch of "country boys" are sick of a lot of bs and I cross my fingers this doesn't turn ugly. Every state has it's corruption and Alabama is just as guilty. Pulling in the National Guard is going to do nothing more than anger some people.

Look around you. Look at the posts about local and state level situations crackling like embers ready to be blown and sparked into a blazing bonfire.

b

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Here in atlanta crime is on the rise cops are on ferlows and with B,ham just over the hill.......... "sorry either my tin foil hat shrunk or my head grew yall carry on"

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Bspiracy

Hey, didn't the Feds go to Alabama in the 60s? How did that work out? I think the feds will have this covered...you should talk some sense into those people.

You know what they say...those that don't learn from History, repeat it.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Here in atlanta crime is on the rise cops are on ferlows and with B,ham just over the hill.......... "sorry either my tin foil hat shrunk or my head grew yall carry on"

Actually crime is down in Atlanta

by 10% actually

www.nytimes.com...

I know that's the gut feel because we always see crime on the news... but it's always better to check those things which you have a gut feel about before communicating it as fact.

That's how myth gets created ya know...

[edit on 4-8-2009 by HunkaHunka]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join