It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does General Electric Really Control the Media?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I read something about this here, and was curious whether or not this had any truth to it.

Anyone know for sure?

Mr. M

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Yep... GE controls NBC. They're so proud of it that they show a commercial about it every now and then. By control i mean KONTROL. General Electric is NBC's parent company, like westinghouse is CBS's, Rupert Murdoch's News Co. is Fox's, and Disney is ABC's.

Virtually every major media outlet is corporate-sponsored. Another reason I only watch those networks when they have the one show I like (ER for NBC and simpsons for fox), and why I watch news on CNN, MSBNC, etc for a good laugh when nothing funny is on

[Edited on 5/11/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Do you think this has anything to do with the spreading of disinformation?

Mr. M

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   
It has EVERYTHING to do with spreading disinformation and keeping people in line with agendas. These companies have a lot of money tied up in these networks and they depend on their advertisers for additional cash-flow. If they say something that one of their advertisers do not like, they pull the plug on that show post-haste. I posted a thread on ATS about this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
Do you think this has anything to do with the spreading of disinformation?

Mr. M

Of course it has to do with disinformation. By controlling these media establishments, corporations are effectively censor what news reaches the masses. Additionally, they are also able to control how much of the spotlight is upon certain media coverage. That is, I doubt that NBC would run an exposee on General Electric aircraft engines.

Additionally, MSNBC - Microsoft Network/National Broadcasting Channl is another prime example. Microsoft ventured into MSNBC with the idea of bringing technology/uptotheminute news to the masses. Because it was a huge financial investment, such finances will dictate what receives coverage and what does not.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
That's crazy...

I never knew about this. I was browsing, and one site I was on brought up this topic on one of their pages.

I can see how it could apply to the spreading of disinformation, definitely. I wonder, is there a paper trail leading from NBC, to GE, to ???, you know what I mean?

Mr. M

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Again, it wouldn't surprise me. I think (obviously) that there's quite a murky, dark underworld where huge megacorporations wind up with nifty alliances.

I'm not sure whose literary stake I'll be crucified at, but if you're interested in media bias, check out "Bias" by B. Goldberg. It's an interesting look at how the news controls viewer perception: Granted, it's a bit whiney on occasion, but an excellent introduction to the biases which exist in the news.

It's pretty easy to find out that NBC --> GE. However, the MSNBC (Microsoft/General Electric) connection I've never closely exmained, truth be told. It seems like something that might have some weight to it, if you could find the right sources. Let me know if you come up with anything interesting. (You have successfully piqued my interest)

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I will, definitely. As for the paper trail, I want to find some concrete evidence of a link between GE and ???. I'll see what I can do.

Mr. M

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
I wonder, is there a paper trail leading from NBC, to GE, to ???, you know what I mean?
Mr. M

Oh yes, that is more than likely. I am quite sure of this as almost every major corporation has to pay a certain percentage of 'tithes', if you catch my drift. Good luck on your hunt and if you find something (you will), please do share it here as I am too lazy to go look for it myself at this moment.

[Edited on 5/11/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
It will probably be in RATS to tell the truth. I'd rather be safe than sorry, you know?

Mr. M

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Just checking back in with this one to see if anyone who hasn't seen this thread yet had any information regarding this subject...

Mr. M

top topics

join