It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I am Not a Christian

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pdpayne0418
If even one contradiction found at Bible Contradictions is true, then the entire Bible stands in question.

Again they are taking verses out of context at that site.

The religious figures previous to Jesus were copycats of Jesus? This does not even begin to make sense.

People keep saying the Christianity is a copy cat of earlier things. It's not.

My point concerning God's revealing of Himself has nothing to do with His supposed choice to do it in a book. My point was that, having chosen to reveal Himself in a book, it seems He could have done it minus the contradictions.

Contradictions according to who?

We did not ask to be born with the choice between heaven and hell. It's not a choice if we are threatened with punishment for making one choice rather than another. Imagine a parent saying to his child, "I'll let you choose to major in chemistry or history, but if choose history, I'll kill you." I guess it's technically a choice, but certainly not one a loving parent would present.

God showed His love by sending His Son to die for us. It's the person who makes the choice not God. God as the loving parent says, "Here is the way to life eternal and it's through my Son". Now if that person doesn't want to be with God then they (by their own choice) have to go somewhere else because they by their own choice don't want to hang out with Him.

Over 30,000 different Christian denominations, many of whom do not believe people in other denominations are Christians, is unity? If you say so.

What denominations are you talking about? I can understand Protestants not being in unity with Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses (which aren't Christian).

Who establishes the context under which we are supposed to read the Bible. I agree it should be read in its historical context as much as possible, and even when so read, Jesus comes off as pretty schizophrenic.

Show me where Jesus comes off as a schizoid.

The losers in every church council, the Inquisition, Calvin's Geneva: these are a few examples of heavy-handedness.

Where is your sources for that?

By the way, if you want to use the "something cannot come from nothing" argument, then you have to deal with an infinite regress.

When we die we will find out who created the creator or not. But in the mean time we should be safe and not sorry.

Thanks,
TT

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Again they are taking verses out of context at that site.

People keep saying the Christianity is a copy cat of earlier things. It's not.

Contradictions according to who?

God showed His love by sending His Son to die for us. It's the person who makes the choice not God. God as the loving parent says, "Here is the way to life eternal and it's through my Son". Now if that person doesn't want to be with God then they (by their own choice) have to go somewhere else because they by their own choice don't want to hang out with Him.

What denominations are you talking about? I can understand Protestants not being in unity with Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses (which aren't Christian).

Show me where Jesus comes off as a schizoid.

Where is your sources for that?

When we die we will find out who created the creator or not. But in the mean time we should be safe and not sorry.

You're going to have to do better than that. I give you a website full of contradictions, and you simply say they're taking those verses out of context. How does one argue with that? It's there, take it or leave it.

I can't begin to make sense of your "copycat" answer.

Contradictions according to people who are able to read objectively.

Why does eternal life have to be through Jesus? If there's one way, then it's not a choice, at least not as we commonly understand choices.

Buy the Handbook of Denominations if you want to see what denominations I'm talking about.

Mental health professionals normally diagnose schizophrenia if, during any one-month period of a person’s life, that person has suffered two or more of the following:

* Delusions
* Hallucinations
* Disorganized speech
* Grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior
* Negative symptoms

Jesus scores 4 out of 5 in my opinion.

I expect posters in these threads to be at least familiar with the topic. If you know nothing of the early church councils, the Inquisition or Calvin's Geneva, then do the research. They are my examples, and there is a ton of information about them.

Peace,
Daniel

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

You're going to have to do better than that. I give you a website full of contradictions, and you simply say they're taking those verses out of context. How does one argue with that? It's there, take it or leave it.

Do you want me to stop working and stop helping my family to answer all of the contradictions for you from that site over the next few days?

I can't begin to make sense of your "copycat" answer.

Here's what people say:
"Are the ideas of Jesus and Christianity borrowed from Mithra and Zoroastrianism? Did Christianity copy its beliefs from other world religions?"

I don't believe that's true.

Contradictions according to people who are able to read objectively.

I read the Bible objectively and see no contradictions.

Why does eternal life have to be through Jesus? If there's one way, then it's not a choice, at least not as we commonly understand choices.

Because He's the only one who ever stated that He is the way, the truth and the life and nobody comes to God but through Him.
There is a choice, we can go his way or not his way.

Buy the Handbook of Denominations if you want to see what denominations I'm talking about.

I will do that and get back with you in a few months after reading it.
Thanks for that info.

Mental health professionals normally diagnose schizophrenia if, during any one-month period of a person’s life, that person has suffered two or more of the following:

* Delusions
* Hallucinations
* Disorganized speech
* Grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior
* Negative symptoms

Jesus scores 4 out of 5 in my opinion.

I believe He was in his right mind. I can't find where he is delusional or hallucinating. There's no disorganized speech or him being disorganized or any catatonic behavior. I don't know what you mean by negative statements when He was the one who said, "Love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself".

I expect posters in these threads to be at least familiar with the topic. If you know nothing of the early church councils, the Inquisition or Calvin's Geneva, then do the research. They are my examples, and there is a ton of information about them.

As for the inquisition, which one are you talking about? Any inquisition against anyone is not right.
I'll have to find out about the strong-handed techniques supposedly used by early church councils and Calvin's Geneva.

Thanks,
TT

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
the name of this thread is also the name of a great book by a great philosopher, Bertrand Russel, where he gives a logical argument to why everyone, should not be a Christian.
(or any other religion...)

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by texastig

Copycat...how about we say borrow or stole if you prefer to be militant

The Book of the Dead had a chapter on the rules (or commandments as Christianity calls them)

Pagans had Yule which turned to Christmas to make Christianity more pallitable to converting pagans

Easter symbolism such as the egg was taken as well

The idea of a tree, gifts, all these things were borrowed or imposed upon

Let's not alos forget that the early Christians killed those who would not convert

In texas' defense I will say OP made a laundru list and could have given specific evidence on his/her own

But those are some things that bothered me

-Kyo

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join