It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ian Tomlinson death: police officer may face manslaughter charge over G20 protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Ian Tomlinson death: police officer may face manslaughter charge over G20 protests

www.telegraph. co.uk

A police officer could be facing a manslaughter charge over the death of Ian Tomlinson at the G20 protests, after the Independent Police Complaints Commission passed a file on the investigation to prosecutors.

...The police officer suspected of being involved was questioned over the alleged manslaughter of Mr Tomlinson after a second post mortem examinations found that the newspaper seller died from internal bleeding, possibly caused by a fall.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
(Video of the original incident included with the article.)

It looks like an appropriate prosecution is being made. Many feared a whitewash.

It won't bring this innocent bystander back, but hopefully it will send the right message to the police force: you too are subject to the full force of the law.

www.telegraph. co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The only problem I have with this news is the word MAY. he may face charges? Thy need to change that to WILL face charges, then I will be happy.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
This is a sign of the times in which britain is becoming a police state. Though i would like the Officer charged I dont think he will and I point to the shooting of brazilian at one of the tube stations where no one was charged for that either. .

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

That was an entirely different situation that could not be compared. The shooting was on the back of official policy to shoot suspected Suicide bombers dead, rather than run the risk. Faulty intel and mismanagement of the incident caused his death, hence why no individual was charged, but rather the Met itself was charged with corporate manslaughter. The officers concerned where following orders as laid down by Policy.

Ian Tomlinson's death was a result of Police thuggery, which wasn't part of official policy, hence why it is likely he will face charges.

Police are charged and convicted alot more than some people think you know. Not a week seems to go by without one being under the kosh, so claiming they get away with things is really a bit of an ill thought out, poorly researched statement.

It puzzles me why people think the police get away with things, when I can go on the BBC for the past year alone and find many examples of them NOT getting away with things.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Clearly the consensus is that we need to keep watching this carefully. If this is not followed through with a charge of manslaughter the man in the street will be outraged.

If the officer makes any attempt to hide behind his uniform, or if the force itself appears to make such a move it will be blatantly obvious. Anyone who has seen the video can see that a serious crime was committed. I'm all for respecting the law, but when law enforcement itself becomes criminal it loses respect, and is in danger of losing its legitimacy.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I hope that so called copper is charged. The police seem to have so much hatered in them towards people it's quite unbelieveable. If a copper can't contain himeslf, then he's in the wrong job!
I thought the police were disicplined individuals, who's high morals and standards? They are just legalised thugs and i wouldn't trust them as far as i could thow them! I can't say i've met a nice copper in years. They all run on their ego's and by the them and us culture.
Just because they earn more than jo blogs, doesn't make them special?
Tis true it takes a certain type of arrogance to be a copper, no wonder they refer to tem as pigs! No wonder they can't have friends. They are not nice people.

new topics

top topics

join